FTA-TV Jason Dunstall - the best we've got

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't like him as special comments, far too negative.

Fictional example, a player in his second season turns the ball over late in the game.

Dunstall: That was an absolutely horrendous decision from _______ there. He had options everywhere and kicked it to the only opponent! Turnovers are killing them!
Reality: Tired young player out of gas fluffs a kick. Big deal.

I bet coaches don't even mention half the stuff he rants about in their reviews.

And this redeems it?

It knows it is s**t, so is therefore not as s**t.
I'm not saying it redeems the show. I'm saying that the way Dunstall behaves (like a fool) on it shouldn't be mentioned in a conversation about his actual commentary.

Eh I don't mind Dunstall, but I don't think he's that great either. One thing that really annoys me when he is trying to make a point or be serious (i.e during the game or on On the Couch) he seems to think that yelling over everyone else will make his point more valid.

Better than a lot of 'Special comments' men but that isn't the greatest achievement, either.

Bounce is very self-aware though, which is why it works. It isn't like a Footy Show which tries way too hard to be both, it knows it's just a massive pisstake.

Bounce is a bunch of old guys who get paid in beer. Its exactly what you expect it to be. And it works well after a weekend of football.

I'm not saying it redeems the show. I'm saying that the way Dunstall behaves (like a fool) on it shouldn't be mentioned in a conversation about his actual commentary.
Should it be mentioned in a conversation about his media presence?

It would be great if you could let me know the rules about what's admissable and what isn't. You seem to be the authority on it.

Should it be mentioned in a conversation about his media presence?

It would be great if you could let me know the rules about what's admissable and what isn't. You seem to be the authority on it.
Calm down, just my opinion :thumbsu:

I'm allowed to post my opinion on an internet forum yeah?

I'm perfectly calm.

Sure you can. But if your "opinion" is an instruction about what other people can or can't say, you might expect some disagreement and mockery.
I obviously worded my post poorly, I don't mind being disagreed with.

I don't think a show in which he has to act as much of a fool should be taken into account for his professional commentary on the game. I'm not saying you have to agree with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great special comments, great on "on the couch" and MMM. Not a fan of the bounce but in general I'm a fan of Chiefs work.

Calls it as it is, doesn't try to sugar coat or hype up a situation that isn't there (like Derm, Taylor, Ling, Darcy....often do).
Has trouble being completely balanced during Hawk games though, I'd be the same...continually mocking my own if we were losing or looking for positives in the opposition when we were miles in front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back