Roast Jason Dunstall

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So bad he deserves his own roast thread.

This bias is inexcusable and anyone who wasn’t one of the boys would be sacked on the spot for that kind of bias and incompetence.

Picking arrogant, out of touch former players as commentators sucks, but the AFL absolutely loves it. Is it the smallish market? I have no idea.

Being able to play a given sport is a completely different skill from being able to analyse and commentate on that sport. For every Tony Romo there are 1000 Robert Walls.

at least dunstall is consistently crap at calling games

possibly copped one to many smacks to the head

Well by those calls, he's looking for a few more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one where Caleb Daniel chopped Dixon’s arms from behind, getting nowhere near the ball, and Dunstall scoffing at the subsequent free kick was legitimately baffling.

Seemed to suggest the size disparity meant Daniel had no other option and therefore it should’ve been play-on?

Absolutely laughable.

The one where Caleb Daniel chopped Dixon’s arms from behind, getting nowhere near the ball, and Dunstall scoffing at the subsequent free kick was legitimately baffling.

Seemed to suggest the size disparity meant Daniel had no other option and therefore it should’ve been play-on?

Absolutely laughable.
Chopped the arm, high over the shoulder....take your pick.

Picking arrogant, out of touch former players as commentators sucks, but the AFL absolutely loves it. Is it the smallish market? I have no idea.

Being able to play a given sport is a completely different skill from being able to analyse and commentate on that sport. For every Tony Romo there are 1000 Robert Walls.

Give Tony Romo a run in the ruck

The thing that disappoints me most is that 5 or so years ago he wasn't that bad. Same with Dwayne. You could even throw Healy into that mix. I actually thought Dunstall was one of the better expert commentators going around and always seemed to frame his criticisms as "he'd be disappointed in that", "he knows he can do better than that" rather than ripping into a bloke. Also praised some of our unsung heroes at the time. In the past few years however, the quality of commentary and analysis has regressed so far that most nights I don't even have the commentary on anymore. I'd rather listen to music or sync up a radio call or literally anything ******* else than the state of AFL commentary these days. Not sure what's happened to have had such a widespread dip in quality in the past half-decade, but it just makes our sport appear more amatuer every year.

Yeh sure his commentary against the bullies wasn't great but overall I don't mind him. If you want to find a fault against a commentator it wouldn't be hard.
I don't believe he has an agenda against us.

At one stage tonight Fogarty easily out-marked Lever and Dermie attributed it to all the training he would’ve done on him at the club. You know, where they didn’t ever cross paths.
did lol at this during the game

At one stage tonight Fogarty easily out-marked Lever and Dermie attributed it to all the training he would’ve done on him at the club. You know, where they didn’t ever cross paths.

Silly mistake, but I think Dermie at least provides some insight from time to time.

The thing that disappoints me most is that 5 or so years ago he wasn't that bad. Same with Dwayne. You could even throw Healy into that mix. I actually thought Dunstall was one of the better expert commentators going around and always seemed to frame his criticisms as "he'd be disappointed in that", "he knows he can do better than that" rather than ripping into a bloke. Also praised some of our unsung heroes at the time. In the past few years however, the quality of commentary and analysis has regressed so far that most nights I don't even have the commentary on anymore. I'd rather listen to music or sync up a radio call or literally anything ******* else than the state of AFL commentary these days. Not sure what's happened to have had such a widespread dip in quality in the past half-decade, but it just makes our sport appear more amatuer every year.

Healey started his commentating career reasonably well, ala Derwayne, but it didn't take long for him to launch into absolute stupidity, eg his comment that a player in one of his first games for the tingles back in the mid 90's was `the crow's great white hope!' end quote! :oops:

I can't even remember the blokes name, but after a couple of non descript seasons at west lakes he was traded to the dees, and didn't do a lot there either.

It's open for debate I guess, but I reckon Anthony Hudson is far and away the best commentator in the business right now. He just seems to nail the big moments, such as the Motlop Showdown "what a time" comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back