Roast Jason Dunstall

Silly mistake, but I think Dermie at least provides some insight from time to time.

But by the time he's finished giving you that insight, the game is over and they've turned the lights off.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It's open for debate I guess, but I reckon Anthony Hudson is far and away the best commentator in the business right now. He just seems to nail the big moments, such as the Motlop Showdown "what a time" comment.

Flipside is when he waffles endlessly in the attempt to say something iconic, ala the Robbie Gray after the siren goal.

They had him as a guest at half time during one of the WA games this year, and Titus O'Reily compared that to showing a person stranded in the desert a bottle of water and then not giving it to them.
My favourite Cometti moment - I can't remember who Hawthorn was playing, but Dennis says, "Bateman passes to Crawford, who passes to Hodge: Hawthorn are attacking alphabetically."

May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
It's open for debate I guess, but I reckon Anthony Hudson is far and away the best commentator in the business right now. He just seems to nail the big moments, such as the Motlop Showdown "what a time" comment.
How funny was it when Eddie tried capturing such a moment last night! I can't remember who had the shot in open play (I think Himmelberg) for the crows but it was woeful and missed by a good 5 meters

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So bad he deserves his own roast thread.

This bias is inexcusable and anyone who wasn’t one of the boys would be sacked on the spot for that kind of bias and incompetence.

Lol the music at the end.

I’d dig deeper, I’d suggest their bias is a directive to the viewing audience also.

same as the subconscious umpiring pointing the wrong way multiple times, where they are sweating for a dogs free kick.

So many contradictions it’s not funny.

Crows player pushed in the back without ball, appalling needs to be stamped out.

marshalls head pushed into turf nothing to see.

sling tackle hardly spoken about Mayes persecuted for 30 minutes

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The game needs more actual callers and less special comments men. That's why ABC radio is so much more enjoyable to listen to...

Theres nothing wrong with having special comments people. The problem is AFL special comments guys, for whatever reason, don't seem to be able to check their egos and bias at the door.

Greg Alexander on Fox League is the standard bearer for mine. Insightful, funny at times, and always completely objective. He should put out a coaching DVD for the Fox Footy guys. Best in the land.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Flipside is when he waffles endlessly in the attempt to say something iconic, ala the Robbie Gray after the siren goal.

yeah, i normally like huddo but thought he was trying too hard during the Robbie Gray moment. Should've just gone with 'Robbie Grayt' and left it at that, instead of talking over the entire moment. Sometimes (probably most of the time) less is better.

RIP Clinton Grybas.

So ******* unfair... obviously to him and his family first and foremost, but also to football broadcasting. If we had him and Huddo leading the calls on 3-4 games per week each, the whole situation would be enormously better.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Theres nothing wrong with having special comments people. The problem is AFL special comments guys, for whatever reason, don't seem to be able to check their egos and bias at the door.

Greg Alexander on Fox League is the standard bearer for mine. Insightful, funny at times, and always completely objective. He should put out a coaching DVD for the Fox Footy guys. Best in the land.

Yeah Greg is very good at what he does.

NRL media coverage on fox is bloody good in general imo. Outside of Blocker Roach, the commentators and expert analysis is pretty measured and unbiased.

Problem with the AFL is their commentary crew are primarily filled with Blocker Roach's.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I like Dunstall and really enjoy his commentary. I also see where he was coming from and think the 2 scenarios in the video are different. One was a clear duck, one was a smartly dropped shoulder. I hate the dropped shoulder stuff, but he was right that players need to be smarter to deal with the dropped shoulder, whereas the Rockliff thing was just a pure duck.

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The thing that disappoints me most is that 5 or so years ago he wasn't that bad. Same with Dwayne. You could even throw Healy into that mix. I actually thought Dunstall was one of the better expert commentators going around and always seemed to frame his criticisms as "he'd be disappointed in that", "he knows he can do better than that" rather than ripping into a bloke. Also praised some of our unsung heroes at the time. In the past few years however, the quality of commentary and analysis has regressed so far that most nights I don't even have the commentary on anymore. I'd rather listen to music or sync up a radio call or literally anything ******* else than the state of AFL commentary these days. Not sure what's happened to have had such a widespread dip in quality in the past half-decade, but it just makes our sport appear more amatuer every year.

Foxtel, Tiser, Maguire and Murdoch. What did Kochie do to upset the media dictators for us to cop such a snubbing from these media outlets of late.

Burton89onegoal

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Healey started his commentating career reasonably well, ala Derwayne, but it didn't take long for him to launch into absolute stupidity, eg his comment that a player in one of his first games for the tingles back in the mid 90's was `the crow's great white hope!' end quote! :oops:

I can't even remember the blokes name, but after a couple of non descript seasons at west lakes he was traded to the dees, and didn't do a lot there either.
Maybe this bloke - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Collins_(Australian_footballer)

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

"I get the feeling Jason doesn't like… *checks notes*… Port Adelaide."

He was f@%king awful the other night. Commentating, my ass. He was legit barracking.
Might’ve been him ruing the Dogs not taking advantage of all their inside 50s in the first half:
"Hope they're not keeping the door open for Port!"

Hard to tell with that mob of monotonous mofos droning on endlessly…

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
So bad he deserves his own roast thread.

This bias is inexcusable and anyone who wasn’t one of the boys would be sacked on the spot for that kind of bias and incompetence.

earlier he said Port players needed to tackle better than what they were.

Club needs to send some please explains to FoxFooty and the AFL.

it's bad enough that Clarkson is calling players duckers, we don't need commentary people doing the same.

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
RIP Clinton Grybas.
So ******* unfair... obviously to him and his family first and foremost, but also to football broadcasting. If we had him and Huddo leading the calls on 3-4 games per week each, the whole situation would be enormously better.
Both not ex players
Who'd have thunk it

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The thing that disappoints me most is that 5 or so years ago he wasn't that bad. Same with Dwayne. You could even throw Healy into that mix. I actually thought Dunstall was one of the better expert commentators going around and always seemed to frame his criticisms as "he'd be disappointed in that", "he knows he can do better than that" rather than ripping into a bloke. Also praised some of our unsung heroes at the time. In the past few years however, the quality of commentary and analysis has regressed so far that most nights I don't even have the commentary on anymore. I'd rather listen to music or sync up a radio call or literally anything ******* else than the state of AFL commentary these days. Not sure what's happened to have had such a widespread dip in quality in the past half-decade, but it just makes our sport appear more amatuer every year.

Honestly besides Hudson the majority of them seem burnt out with commentating. Maybe it's the Fix Footy bubble where it's all they do so any boring game they just can't get interested in. They are also the same pushing ideas to improve the game that are so a odds with the public, like en masse they were all for shorter games because it meant having to watch s**t games less and now they are all on the same page about taunting out of ******* nowhere.

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Honestly besides Hudson the majority of them seem burnt out with commentating. Maybe it's the Fix Footy bubble where it's all they do so any boring game they just can't get interested in. They are also the same pushing ideas to improve the game that are so a odds with the public, like en masse they were all for shorter games because it meant having to watch sh*t games less and now they are all on the same page about taunting out of ******* nowhere.

Just on this. This isn't a new revelation in the game, as long as the game has existed there have been players dishing out crap. The main difference is that in yesteryear you'd want to be bloody tough to do it as the next contest someone is running through you or you're getting the mother of all ear massages.

They have umpired/reported out all the 'dog' acts which acted as a natural filter for this crap of sorts. Now players know there is no retaliation coming their way so its a free for all and is why see players of the McHenry/Gresham ilk all of sudden acting faux tough.

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Foxtel, Tiser, Maguire and Murdoch. What did Kochie do to upset the media dictators for us to cop such a snubbing from these media outlets of late.
I’ve always wondered about Kochie’s situation at 7. He would, I think, be the highest paid “national celebrity” at 7 and yet he doesn’t seem to have any influence to stop the crap that we are handed out. For Christ sake he the president of our club!

Back