Jason Holder- a modern day great?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Jason Holder has been quietly becoming one of the best Test Cricketers in the world in my opinion.

Averaging 33 with the bat and 27 with the ball, all the while, restoring unity amongst a very fractured West Indian team and managing to control board influence, he's done an incredible job to maintain such high standards in a very high pressure role.

Modern day great might be overdoing it a little, but his record is amongst the best of the modern era (Kallis is in a league of his own) and I don't think he gets anywhere near enough credit for what he's already achieved and is continuing to do.

Well done Jason Holder.

images (9).jpeg

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He’s only going to get better too. He’s averaged something like 19 with the ball and nearly 50 with the bat over the last 10-12 games. He has to bat higher - An in form bravo aside, he’s got comfortably the best technique in the side.

Tragically over that period I mentioned, the two most prolific and undoubtedly best batsman have been he and Dowrich (injured for this series) and they bat at 7 and 8. Lack of discipline is crippling us at the moment. Exacerbated by the fact that the attack is more often than not doing its job

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah it's disappointing some of the other guys haven't gotten better like he has. Brathwaite has been disappointing for a long time and while Hope has been exceptional by WI standards in ODIs he never really kicked on after that big England game a few years ago in Tests.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
He’s only going to get better too. He’s averaged something like 19 with the ball and nearly 50 with the bat over the last 10-12 games. He has to bat higher - An in form bravo aside, he’s got comfortably the best technique in the side.

Tragically over that period I mentioned, the two most prolific and undoubtedly best batsman have been he and Dowrich (injured for this series) and they bat at 7 and 8. Lack of discipline is crippling us at the moment. Exacerbated by the fact that the attack is more often than not doing its job
Those are his averages in the last 5 games because of his 202*. Its more like 40 and 18 in his last 10-12 games.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Those are his averages in the last 5 games because of his 202*. Its more like 40 and 18 in his last 10-12 games.

It’s 44 over the last 10 to be precise. Take it back 12 tests and the average drops to 41 or something but it does include an extra century.

It’s also worth remembering that because of where he bats, he almost routinely has to give up his wicket going the slog.

With the ball he’s taken 48 at 14.

Those figures, even distorted by the double hundred, are insane.
Bat him at 6 and I’m confident he would average 40 comfortably without needing big outliers to prop it up

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Jason Holder has been quietly becoming one of the best Test Cricketers in the world in my opinion.

Averaging 33 with the bat and 27 with the ball, all the while, restoring unity amongst a very fractured West Indian team and managing to control board influence, he's done an incredible job to maintain such high standards in a very high pressure role.

Modern day great might be overdoing it a little, but his record is amongst the best of the modern era (Kallis is in a league of his own) and I don't think he gets anywhere near enough credit for what he's already achieved and is continuing to do.

Well done Jason Holder.

View attachment 739586

very underated going by his stats.
better than flintoff 32/33 and similar to botham 34/28 !!
certainly should be batting at 6 with the current west indies team and is a genuine #7.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
very underated going by his stats.
better than flintoff 32/33 and similar to botham 34/28 !!
certainly should be batting at 6 with the current west indies team and is a genuine #7.

Maybe I’m reading too much into just how graceful he is but I think he’d be a top 6 batsman in basically any side atm bar England (and that’s only because stokes is there - root and maybe bairstow aside he’s got the rest covered).

He has a beautiful style.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
His record away from the Caribbean is pretty poor even though it is still a small sample. If he can improve that he'll definitely get the same recognition as Stokes gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
His record away from the Caribbean is pretty poor even though it is still a small sample. If he can improve that he'll definitely get the same recognition as Stokes gets.
Better than Stokes as a Test Cricketer in my opinion. I agree though, he hasn't been fantastic outside of the West Indies.

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Yes, yes he is.

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Probably my favourite cricketer on the planet. The OP summed it up well. Such a humble bloke too.

Funnily enough, my other favourite is Kohli lol. Not quite apples and apples there.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably my favourite cricketer on the planet. The OP summed it up well. Such a humble bloke too.

Funnily enough, my other favourite is Kohli lol. Not quite apples and apples there.

One of his big problems early on was that he probably didn’t rate his bowling enough and just used himself to contain. That has changed. I hope the same realisation happens with his batting. I can kind of respect his ‘the batsmen are there to make runs’ approach but at some point he needs to realise he’s among the best of them

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is a modern day great for sure, but I think he will unfortunately go down in memory a bit like Chanderpaul. A bit of an afterthought when considering the era simply because the side he was in did not accomplish much (although if he can go full Imran Khan and also build up a young generation of cricketers in addition to having crazy allround stats he will have one of the best legacies in cricket).

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Is a modern day great for sure, but I think he will unfortunately go down in memory a bit like Chanderpaul. A bit of an afterthought when considering the era simply because the side he was in did not accomplish much (although if he can go full Imran Khan and also build up a young generation of cricketers in addition to having crazy allround stats he will have one of the best legacies in cricket).

The thing in holder’s favour is that the players around him, though yet to do much, have genuine talent and youth on their side.

Shiv had mostly journeymen and gap-fillers around him. It isn’t guaranteed to happen for Holder and his side but they DO have the potential to get there.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
The thing in holder’s favour is that the players around him, though yet to do much, have genuine talent and youth on their side.

Shiv had mostly journeymen and gap-fillers around him. It isn’t guaranteed to happen for Holder and his side but they DO have the potential to get there.

I think a crucial difference is that Shiv was never really a great leader, and his stint as captain really only came about because of lack of other reliable options at the time, and because he was a consistently great cricketer and mainstay of the West Indian representative side.

Holder on the other hand was initially selected and retained his spot (ahead of more naturally talented blokes) because of his leadership and ability to bring the team together, and he's now backing that up with elite performances with bat and ball.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Holder has the best bowling average in Test cricket (18.46) over the past two years (minimum 1,800 balls/300 overs bowled). He's also averaged 40.90 with the bat over that time.

His averages prior to that - 28.89 with the bat, and 36.61 with the ball.

About a month away from his 28th birthday at the moment, so theoretically could just be coming into his prime as a cricketer. Will be good to see more of the same over the next few years, which will solidify him as one of the great all-rounders.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle

Not in my memory. Shiv Chanderpaul is one of my favourite cricketers, I'd probably put him at 5 or 6 in any 2000s side. The man had an unbelievable ability to play in a bubble while all around him was going to wrack and ruin.

And yes, Holder is a very fine cricketer and seems a very calm man.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Not in my memory. Shiv Chanderpaul is one of my favourite cricketers, I'd probably put him at 5 or 6 in any 2000s side. The man had an unbelievable ability to play in a bubble while all around him was going to wrack and ruin.

If you just count the "main eight" Tests sides playing home and away in their countries only (no Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, no matches in UAE), Shiv was clearly one of the most prolific batsmen of the 2000s (01/01/2000-31/12/2009), averaging 55.40 with the bat over that period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back