Delisted Jason Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

i believe pick 75. the rumour was that another club would have picked him up as a rookie so we got in first.
St Kilda ruck coach Darren Jolly tips big year for American rookie

St Kilda ruck coach Darren Jolly has labelled American rookie Jason Holmes as the Saints' best pure-tap ruckman, tipping a possible debut for the ex-college basketballer next season.
However, the dual premiership ruckman said the Saints would be spoilt for choice in their ruck division next season.
"He's been fantastic because he wants to learn, he's always asking questions of me, he's intrigued about how to get better. Out of pure-tap work, he's probably the best."
"He's dominating games and really impressing the coaches. It's really promising for the club that in 2015, we could see him roll out and play some games," Jolly said.
"The biggest thing for him is just his belief. When he first got here, he didn't believe he was part of the team or didn't think that he had a right to be on the ground. What I've tried to drill into him is that 'you're the biggest bloke out there. You need to be more demanding and you have every right to be there and just take on the game and back your ability'. I think the dilemma the Saints will have in 2015 is that hopefully they'll have five [ruckmen to choose from]."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/st-kilda-ruck-coach-darren-jolly-tips-big-year-for-american-rookie-20140823-107kjp.html#ixzz3BG9gMGEN

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm amazed at the steps Holmes has taken in a single year, he took a grab last week at full extension, kicked a goal from the boundary (wrong side for a left footer), is really quick at getting the ball away through a handball and his tap work is exceptional.

One of the things he will need to work on is the right hand tap work - predominately left handed and AFL clubs will work that out very very quickly.

footylede2.0.jpg

footywide2.0.jpg

Good write up, and he looks like a genuine leaping ruck. Whats the rest of his game like?

Love the extract below:

"Holmes heard plenty of trash talk. But not even that, four years of college hoops, and Wallace's advance scouting report could prepare Holmes for the landfill's worth of verbal abuse dumped on him in his eighth game by Collingwood's VFL club's Ben Hudson — an AFL-hardened veteran and master in the lethal oral art of what Aussies call "sledging." From the opening bounce to the final siren that ends the match three hours later, Hudson, a 6'6, 35-year-old whose thick auburn carpet of hair and bushy beard could get him cast as a swashbuckling buccaneer in "Pirates of the Caribbean," was relentless. After Hudson out-leaped Holmes and batted the ball to a teammate to start play, he loudly questioned the tutelage of Holmes's development coach, Paul Hudson (no relation).
"'Huddo' didn't teach you that one, did he?"

Later, after Hudson won another ruck contest, he yelled:

"This isn't basketball, mate!"

Holmes wisely resisted matching wits. Gradually, the tide turned, both in the ruck and on the scoreboard. The Zebras and Holmes got more physical. Suddenly, the "hitouts" — the all-important metric tallying the number of times a ruckman wins the ball from a center bounce, boundary throw-in, or ball-up, tilted Holmes's way. The more Hudson jawed, the more Holmes realized he was succeeding. He wasn't annoyed; he was flattered. When the game ended, Holmes had 27 hitouts, versus only 17 for Hudson. Most importantly, the Zebras won by 44 points. Afterward, Hudson still had to have the last word. He told Holmes:

"Well done, mate."

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/20...-football-american-basketball-players-profile

I am wrapped to have Jason to represent. He's an entirely different prospect than any other player on our list.

I don't pretend to know much about him yet, but I'm really looking forward to learning along the way. :)

How good does Markworth look next to Riewoldt in that group photo. Really looking forward ti seeing him run.

More to the point, how good does my boy look. He looks like a young Mohamed Ali. Now if only he can pack that kind of punch.....

More to the point, how good does my boy look. He looks like a young Mohamed Ali. Now if only he can pack that kind of punch.....

He said he wants to put on some pounds and the running keeps taking it off. He said without some more weight he will struggle to out muscle the other rucks. He's a a really sweet guy and suits Australia as he's humble and chilled. He has a quiet confidence and looks focussed. He said he's love to break into the seniors but knows it will take something special to happen.

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Holmes:

Averaged 29 hitouts in his 19 games in the VFL - ranked 18th.

His hitout-to-advantage rate of 26% ranked 15th of the top 50 players for hitouts per game.

Averaged 5.3 disposals per game, the 2nd fewest of the 439 VFL players to play more than 6 games.

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Holmes:

Averaged 29 hitouts in his 19 games in the VFL - ranked 18th.

His hitout-to-advantage rate of 26% ranked 15th of the top 50 players for hitouts per game.

Averaged 5.3 disposals per game, the 2nd fewest of the 439 VFL players to play more than 6 games.

It's a start!

And it begins...

My scouts inform me that jase was quite good against billy in the hit outs. Yep, sure, he's got a bit to learn, and he will be a tad hot and cold, but jeez I've got a star on my hands here people!!

Holmes is in a race with North Melbourne’s Eric Wallace and to a lesser extent Collingwood’s Mason Cox to be the first American convert to play at AFL level (West Coast premiership player Don Pyke was born in the States but was the son of WAFL player Frank Pyke and was raised in Australia).

Could be the first American to play a proper AFL game. Pretty cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot to mention this but i saw Jason and another saints player out last saturday night (after the Essendon match),after multiple beverages I walked into the toilets and he walked out and i had a second look and yelled out "Holmesy!!!" was genuinely chuffed that i recognised him and you could tell he loved it, had a good chat with him about life and football, he said he's loving it over here and is really determined to debut this season. Was just a really nice bloke and gave me heaps of time, the same cannot be said about the other saints bloke but to be fair i was pretty pissed.

Oooooohhhhhh he's close.... Maybe this week??

Holmes to be upgraded and play this week according to channel 7
That's a terrific story for him and the club. Seems a terrific guy with a remarkable attitude and determination. Can't imagine taking that leap of faith when he could have taken a safer option in his sporting career.

Major announcement 9:50 Am tomorrow. Not sure if this is Holmes upgrade to play this week? Would think that Major announcement would be something bigger.

I would think it might be the Homes upgrade. first African American to do so, it is a big deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back