Delisted Jason Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

See, the road I’m on is a road not well travelled.

My AFL dream is not a traditional American dream .... I’ve given up everything to be here. I’m 10,000 miles from home. Away from family, away from friends and my life as I knew it.

Tomorrow I might be the first born and bred American to play AFL football.

Everything’s possible -
Jason Holmes

Jason+Holmes.jpg

Sweet, handsome, polite, humble, intelligent...

...and he can play footy?

Something's not right here ;)
I know this wont happen mysainters beacause like you said he seems a very humble bloke.
But wouldnt it be funny if he kicked a goal then he just 'clicked' and turned into the typical trash talking American sportsman.
I can just see him in Blicavs face saying "you cant stop me ,im number 1, USA USA "
usa_number1.png
Dont think it will happen though:D

Sweet, handsome, polite, humble, intelligent...

...and he can play footy?

Something's not right here ;)

His ruck work holds up against anyone except possibly guys like Sandi who cannot muscle the athletic rucks. He can look lost around the ground but can lull them into playing loose on him and pop up for a goal.

Last edited:
I don't think we can get too carried away with his debut in terms of his future prospects, however:

His debut still brings a smile to my face. A great story and great to watch. And a reminder of why we love this game.

If he plays out this season he goes up against: A steeplechaser, a Canadian and the almighty NicNat!

Pretty special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if a 18 yr old first game ruckmen had that many tap outs hed be a chance for a rising star nomination.
Is Holmes too old to get a nod?

No idea. But they should just give it to him for the feel good factor of it all.

First time i have ever sat down and watched a Saints game, only because of Holmes.
Such a great story and didn't look totally out of place. Hope he develops well

First time i have ever sat down and watched a Saints game, only because of Holmes.
Such a great story and didn't look totally out of place. Hope he develops well
The good will around it has been enormous. It's so nice to see positive stories about the saints exciting non-saints people. The publicity, Saturday night time slot, performance and result of the team in general has been huge for the club. Hopefully Holmes goes on with it.

The good will around it has been enormous. It's so nice to see positive stories about the saints exciting non-saints people. The publicity, Saturday night time slot, performance and result of the team in general has been huge for the club. Hopefully Holmes goes on with it.
I have seen a fair few Sandy games this year due to work and was always impressed with Holmes with his ruck work

The biggest feel good story involving the club I can recall.

Credit to all involved.

Would seriously consider getting his number on a guernsey.

If he grew the 'fro, would be one of the cult figures in the comp, if not already.

I just listened to him on the Sunday huddle and my God was I impressed. I have never heard such a well spoken player. Man I hope he makes it, would love an intelligent well spoken guy like himself around the footy media especially. Also I thought his debut was pretty good.

Story on his debut from World Footy News.

Jason Holmes made his transition from US college basketballer to AFL footballer on Saturday night official. In a match that ended in a draw against Geelong, St Kilda’s newest player not only looked at home in the ruck but looked something special.

Make no mistake holding down a position in the VFL as a ruckman is no easy task for those that have grown up with the game, let alone one starting out in a new foreign sport in a foreign land. If he never made it to play a match in the AFL it would still be a remarkable effort.

But through a combination of his natural physical attributes, his athletic ability and his mental capacity to make it happen, Holmes has earned his promotion to the St Kilda team and to become the first born and raised American, the first code crossing American, the first player in the world to first play Aussie rules outside Australia and then make it to the AFL.

His arrival on the scene was well covered in all the Melbourne TV, radio and print media in the build up to Saturday night. Footy shows on Thursday night were all giving his debut special mention, radio stations interviewing his parents and social media heralding his arrival.

Prior to the team running out Twitter showed Holmes being hugged by St Kilda captain Nick Reiwoldt and well wishes from the US Consulate in Melbourne and US Embassy in Canberra. As the team ran through the banner he was just one of the team. After a quick warmup and while the captain went over for the coin toss, his team mates gathered around Holmes with last minute words of encouragement, pats on the back and on the head....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back