Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Easy, it’s pronounced

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If AFL are serious about Tasmania, and I believe they are, they should give North all of Tasmania as a zone from this year.

They will need 4-5+ Tasmanians by the time they relocate, there will be a number of players that won't want to move.

I'd go our first round pick, Keayes, Jones for JHF and a second round.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If the AFL are serious about a Tasmanian team, make it a Tasmanian team, not a relocated Melbourne team with no link to the football heartland down there.

Would we all be passionate Crows fans if Saint Kilda were told to relocate here instead of the Crows being formed?

If the AFL are serious about a Tasmanian team, make it a Tasmanian team, not a relocated Melbourne team with no link to the football heartland down there.

Would we all be passionate Crows fans if Saint Kilda were told to relocate here instead of the Crows being formed?
It will be a Tasmanian team, much like how Brisbane is actually the Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy Lions merged. In reality no one really acknowledges the Fitzroy Lions anymore.

It will be a Tasmanian team, much like how Brisbane is actually the Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy Lions merged. In reality no one really acknowledges the Fitzroy Lions anymore.
The Bears were a Qld team from the start and then absorbed Fitzroy, rather than a Vic team just plonked into an AFL state. It's more like the Swans being South Melbourne, and we still hear all the Bloods history when they're successful (and they're just Sydney when they aren't).

IMO, it needs to be a genuine team, probably green and yellow colours like their state jumper too. Plonking North down there is a bit like asking all year for a new bike, only to realise it's your brother's old one when you unwrap it on Christmas morning.

Imo they just cant afford to trade him this year no matter the offers. The effort they would have put into him, the supporter base and the players..it would be demoralising all round in a big way if they let him walk. Hold him and try and convince him to stay on after next year shoud be their goal.

But from our end, it woukd be enormous if he wanted out and wanted to come here.
I may be misremembering but if I recall North barely interviewed Jason until really late in the year.

If AFL are serious about Tasmania, and I believe they are, they should give North all of Tasmania as a zone from this year.

They will need 4-5+ Tasmanians by the time they relocate, there will be a number of players that won't want to move.

I'd go our first round pick, Keayes, Jones for JHF and a second round.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Put Jones in the package ;)

The Bears were a Qld team from the start and then absorbed Fitzroy, rather than a Vic team just plonked into an AFL state. It's more like the Swans being South Melbourne, and we still hear all the Bloods history when they're successful (and they're just Sydney when they aren't).

IMO, it needs to be a genuine team, probably green and yellow colours like their state jumper too. Plonking North down there is a bit like asking all year for a new bike, only to realise it's your brother's old one when you unwrap it on Christmas morning.

Why would Tasmania even want North? They've been utter garbage for 20 years, they'd be better off starting from scratch

Can't agree with that.
Firstly, maximising the ROI will be the most important factor once North realise he's "gone". Plus they won't want a "dead man walking" at the club poisoning their culture.

Secondly, North are rebuilding as are we. If they play hard ball just to set an example, they'll find it even more difficult to attract other players or happily retain existing talent.
Also, assuming he wants to come back to SA and, specifically, to us - as bad as we are, we can't keep stinking it up indefinitely. We're on track to finish bottom 6 if not bottom 4 this year. That draft pick is unlikely to be much better next year, and could potentially be worse. Unless they're banking on Port collapsing in a massive heap they'd be better off cashing in now rather than investing another year of development into him and then losing him for possibly less value next year.

Also, assuming he wants to come back to SA and, specifically, to us - as bad as we are, we can't keep stinking it up indefinitely. We're on track to finish bottom 6 if not bottom 4 this year. That draft pick is unlikely to be much better next year, and could potentially be worse. Unless they're banking on Port collapsing in a massive heap they'd be better off cashing in now rather than investing another year of development into him and then losing him for possibly less value next year.
Brady Rawlings interview on SEN last night wasn't very convincing (in terms of keeping JHF).

The one time a high profile wants to come back to SA, I bet AFL implement a new rule that new draftees must stay with their new clubs minimum 4 years (applicable to all current draftees).

Might be coincidence, but I've noticed that AFL start phasing out rules when SA might start to benefit from them (drafting - F/S - Academy players).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, this stuff reflects something else going on underneath

Maybe he’s started to believe he’s special or just resents playing there?

Diva behaviour often forewarns an exit
Is it Diva-ish if you forewarned (as much as possible with all the draft tampering rules) all the clubs there was good reason not to draft you and a club ignored that and drafted you anyway?

If we'd drafted Bailey Smith after all the rumors about him wanting to remain at home and then he played up and then went home, who would we be angry with, Smith or our club management?

Probably don’t even need a lot of them but you need a significant core.
Not many could name Melbournes bottom 5-10 best 22 players.
We need 5 players who once their careers are over will be considered alongside the likes of Roo, Jarman, Modra and McLeod.

JHF could certainly do that. Add Rachele and Thilthorpe and we are almost there.

We need 5 players who once their careers are over will be considered alongside the likes of Roo, Jarman, Modra and McLeod.

JHF could certainly do that. Add Rachele and Thilthorpe and we are almost there.
Get Thilthorpe, Rachele and Horne-Francis at their peak alongside another gems who we either trade in or free agent once we start heading up the ladder the side would start looking pretty imposing.

Adding a player like Rankine if he reached his potential could be another player of similar ability.

On our current list Pedlar and Dawson have the ability to be up there too.

Get Thilthorpe, Rachele and Horne-Francis at their peak alongside another gems who we either trade in or free agent once we start heading up the ladder the side would start looking pretty imposing.

Adding a player like Rankine if he reached his potential could be another player of similar ability.

On our current list Pedlar and Dawson have the ability to be up there too.
Butts as well

These JHF rumours are absolutely brilliant. Very juicy reading.
Between the Dawson recruitment, our obscene offer last year for pick #1 and the cheque book we have to use as enticement, North should rightly be very worried.

Maybe other clubs too...

I see Butts more as a dependable type. Not necessarily one that wins you a flag.
A player you need sure, but not a McLeod, Ricciuto, Jarman etc.
oh I see him as an absolute key - if you can shut down the opposition main key forward (think max king the other night), that goes a long way to limiting the scoring routes of the opposition

Back