Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Easy, it’s pronounced

• Total voters
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty straight forward. If he comes to Adelaide he has the choice of what one club in port offer him as we know he isn't coming to the crows. The home factor draw is also overrated and both SA clubs are a long way away from a flag. Therefore if he wants to leave and is smart he will take the best offer out of the other 16 clubs where he has a chance of genuine success.

I wouldn't be surprised if he took up an offer up north in Sydney or Brisbane if it's on par with a big Vic club as he would be fairly anonymous in that market. Another option would be Freo which are building a possible future dynasty and is the club he barracked for as a kid. In saying that he is just as likely to go to a big Vic club as his sponsorship opportunities outside of football are greatest. If we aren't getting him I would prefer to see him at any other club other than port.

This is probably all moot anyway as i think the delaying of contract is purely a tactic for North to pony up more $$ and he probably has no intention of leaving. If he ever comes back to Adelaide it won't be to the crows so it's not even worthwhile discussing him imo. It would be Motlop 2.0.

JFTC is this the word salad Olympics?

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If we had done it right we would have had him for nothing in his draft year, but no, those meaningless wins are so culturally valuable...
The pick would have been taken away by the AFL for tanking, and we would have lost our next two first round picks as well. Half the coaches would have been sacked (probably not such a bad thing) and the club would have been fined the balance of what Port owe the AFL.

The pick would have been taken away by the AFL for tanking, and we would have lost our next two first round picks as well. Half the coaches would have been sacked (probably not such a bad thing) and the club would have been fined the balance of what Port owe the AFL.
Yeah, but apart from that???

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Its Richmond who should be having a look, about to lose Edwards, Martin and Cotchin. They need a star midfielder.

The idea is for bolton to be the no.1.

Hopefully martin and prestia can hang around for a while.

Iirc norf rejected ccj and three firsts prior to the draft for Horne so the crows may struggle to land him now he's playing well..

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
You know - As much as getting JHF in via trade would likely be beneficial to us in the short term

It would be bad for the league in the long term.

What's the point of a draft, if players start demanding trades after 1 year.
It means the strong clubs who are at the top can get in the ear of players pre-draft. Commit to trading after a year. Then it leads to players not signing extensions and screwing over the club after 1-2 years.

Do we really want to see Jack Gunston situations on the regular?

I feel that would be bad for the league, and the game as a whole.

How would you feel if Rachele turns around after Rd 22, packs his bags, flys back to Melbourne, never returns and says trade me to Carlton?

Extend the automatic 1st round contract from 2 to 3 years, then make them unable to be traded in their first 2 seasons in the league.

And this isn't about me not wanting JHF. It's about me believing that getting a precedence like this, could disrupt the balance of the competition. Make it harder for rebuilding clubs to rebuild, and prolong a teams era of dominance.

Meh. We've had enough players leave. Stuff them. I want good players coming to us.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I'd like to see the club almost distance itself from this. He is not coming to us and will end up looking like we missed out on a quality player we were never any chance to get.

I'd like to see the club almost distance itself from this. He is not coming to us and will end up looking like we missed out on a quality player we were never any chance to get.
It's got nothing to do with us yet. He still has 18 months on his contract.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think not. We got punished for Melbourne doing it.

Imagine if we did it!
this is an oft forgotton thing. The only club to really cop it in the neck for melbourne tanking were us with us losing our assistant coach for almost an entire season - it not only caused on field problems with the lack of help he would have provided but off field as we still had to pay his contract. The AFL must have been over the moon how that played out - belt Adelaide for a Vic clubs transgression

Back