Recommitted Jason Johannisen [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

You can argue trade value back and forth till the cows come home, but at the end of the day a players trade value is set by $ the buyer is willing to spend on that player.

And if the reports of a $800k over 5 year contract are true (the exact same $ and contract length the Cats paid Dangerfield), there is no way that JJ is worth anything less than a top 5 pick.

In comparison the Pies paid $750k over 5 years for Treloar and it cost them pick 7 (2015) and pick 8 (2016) and pick 65, with pick 28 coming back. Which is equivalent to pick 2 in draft points.
Also Dion Prestia went to Richmond on a reported $700k over 5 year contract, and it cost Richmond pick 6.

So if Freo do pay JJ the reported $800k over 5 years, more than both Treloar and Prestia's contracts, there's no way that they can pay anything less than a top 5 pick.

I'm confused why they would pay anything. Am I missing something?

If they offer 800k over 5 years and Bulldogs don't match that offer then Freo pay nothing correct? Bulldogs just get the compensatory pick which will be end of 1st round. The draft picks only come into play if the Bulldogs match Freo's offer right?

I'm confused why they would pay anything. Am I missing something?

If they offer 800k over 5 years and Bulldogs don't match that offer then Freo pay nothing correct? Bulldogs just get the compensatory pick which will be end of 1st round. The draft picks only come into play if the Bulldogs match Freo's offer right?
While he is out of contract, he is not a free agent. If he wants to play elsewhere they will need to trade.

God I hope this rumour isn't true. We have so many small, running half backs that adding JJ is just going to be shuffling deckchairs bringing him in for somebody else.

So, so, so many other more pressing needs right now.

If he goes and assuming his season is AA and no injuries he will get more than that.

Potentially the most damaging quick clutch HBF since S Burgoyne and McLeod. Better than Murphy IMO.

And I don't say that lightly. Those two are some of fave players of all time.
He's not even close to McLeod, and never will be. He's not better than Rob Murphy either. Well he might be currently, but that's because Murphy is in his twilight and coming back from injury. Sam Docherty and Heath Shaw are better HBFers, they just don't have the same burst as JJ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not just a back flanker who links up.

His acceleration, pace, stamina and vision make him arguably the most devastating runner in the league, and he's no mug one-on-one either.

I'd be devastated to lose him.

His acceleration, pace, stamina and vision make him arguably the most devastating runner in the league, and he's no mug one-on-one either.

Agree. He certainly isn't the run of the mill half back flanker. These guys are game changers. It's what I like about Jayden Hunt and what he can do.

Agree, the ability to run 20m's quickly and then kick 50 is devastating. It lets team gets through zones. I would pay the 700k over 4 or 5 years, but I would probably only want to give up a late 1st round pick or it would need to be a swap of picks e.g. Freo's 1st (5-8) for Jason and the bulldogs 1st (13-16).

Depending on where each team finishes that may be fair, or it may not be.

Good player. Would love him at Freo. Not sure how we'd get him though. Certainly, hope we don't entertain any idea of trading out a mid-high 1st rounder. Desperately need to keep our blue-chip picks for the re-build.

There is more to Johannisen than being a half-back flanker. He is capable up on a wing and if I was Essendon I wouldn't be against chucking him in the guts a few times. I wouldn't trade this years first rounder but id give up next years for him

God I hope this rumour isn't true. We have so many small, running half backs that adding JJ is just going to be shuffling deckchairs bringing him in for somebody else.

So, so, so many other more pressing needs right now.
How many good ones do we have though? Plenty of average at best HBFers on the list but none I see becoming elite.

Ok so Geelong traded a future first, last years 3rd round and billie smedts for thouy and a second rounder

Thouy a player 27 year old HBF probably a B grade player in his position

JJ at 24 is a norm smith medalist stood up throughout finals and bring line breaking pace. Is in the elite bracket in his position.

If Freo want him first rounder and a young player minimum

The Fremantle recruiting department are a little unpredictable. They seem reluctant to overpay in terms of trade value as evidenced in the trade period just passed. Yet two years ago apparently offered 2 first round picks for McCarthy. In this thread I would be hesitant at both the contract value suggested and the trade value.

Now that the players EBA is close to resolution,once we know what the cap is for the next 5 years,if JJ still holds out then I would start to worry. If he leaves , then his money can be used elsewhere.

Ok so Geelong traded a future first, last years 3rd round and billie smedts for thouy and a second rounder

Thouy a player 27 year old HBF probably a B grade player in his position

JJ at 24 is a norm smith medalist stood up throughout finals and bring line breaking pace. Is in the elite bracket in his position.

If Freo want him first rounder and a young player minimum
I'll pass. A first and a player is just stupid. He's not that bloody good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back