Review Jason McCartney's performance as list manager - A little from Column A and a little from Column B

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Jason McCartney joined us in late 2012 as List Manager. I'll start this thread with a factual summary of all the deals that have happened in that time. I've added my ticks and crosses where I think they are warranted.

These are the trade deals that McCartney has negotiated on our behalf:

2012 trades
Lake and Pick 27 for Pick 21 and Pick 43 :thumbsdown:
Pick 43 for Koby Stevens
Pick 69 for Tom Young

2013 trades
Pick 26 for Crameri :thumbsu:
Pick 78 for Darley

2014 trades
Griffen and Pick 6 for Boyd
Cooney for Pick 37
Jones for Pick 46
Pick 37 for Biggs and Pick 39 :thumbsu:
(also Higgins out and Hamling in via FA)

2015 trades
Pick 11 and our future 3rd for Pick 20 and Pick 21
Talia and Pick 69 for Syd future 4th (not used)
(also Suckling in via FA)

2016 trades
Hamling and Pick 40 and Pick 63 for Pick 35 and Pick 43 and Pick 61
Pick 26 and Pick 80 for Pick 35 and Pick 43
Hrovat and our future 3rd and future 4th for NM future 3rd and future 4th :thumbsdown:
Pick 76 for Cloke
Stevens and Pick 61 and NM future 4th for Pick 50 and StK future 5th :thumbsdown:

2017 trades
Pick 41 and Pick 83 for Crozier and Freo future 4th :thumbsu:
Stringer for Pick 25 and Pick 30 :thumbsdown:
Pick 28 and Pick 30 and our future 2nd for Pick 16 and Pick 40 :thumbsdown:
Pick 25 and Pick 40 for Schache :thumbsu:
(also Trengove via FA)

2018 draft position
1st round
No 2nd round
3rd round
4th round + Fremantle 4th round

Have at it folks. How do you rate Jason McCartney's overall performance in trade negotiations?

(Please let me know if I have made an error in compiling the above list)

I still want him gone. Even thought it wasn't as bad as I thought at the end
My understanding is that he is only contracted for this year and I've heard rumours that he might be at GC next year?

I'd like us to at the very least explore the market for an alternative List Manager. There may be worse managers employed elsewhere, but there are also certainly some better ones.

Having said that, some of the JMac proposed trades that didnt go thru in the past were horrifying.
True, might have to update the OP with some of these. Lobbe immediately comes to mind. Are you able to identify the others?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not a fan but acknowledge list mangers don’t grow on trees.

He no doubt has some ability in identifying talent like Hamling and Biggs, and am not in a position to comment on his management of the cap, but his negotiating needs a lot of work and he hasn’t been able to land us a big fish despite a few attempts.

I’m keen to see who else is out there. Him and Grant are both great guys, maybe we need at least one of them to be a bit ruthless

I’m not a fan but acknowledge list mangers don’t grow on trees.

He no doubt has some ability in identifying talent like Hamling and Biggs, and am not in a position to comment on his management of the cap, but his negotiating needs a lot of work and he hasn’t been able to land us a big fish despite a few attempts.

I’m keen to see who else is out there. Him and Grant are both great guys, maybe we need at least one of them to be a bit ruthless
Did Granty jump in and clean up this trade period or have I got that wrong?

Hey guys thought you might want an opposition supporters perspective. From what I could tell, he was under Alot of pressure from the media, Connors and to an extent the list management committee. With all that taken into considering his done a hell of a job. Just curious, is there any reason why he wasn't the one to finalise the stringer/schache trade? Was he there on the final day?

Did Granty jump in and clean up this trade period or have I got that wrong?

Interesting, I heard Gordon talk today and he credited all of our trade maneuverings to Grant. He made no mention of McCartney at all.

Oversight or deliberate?

Interesting, I heard Gordon talk today and he credited all of our trade maneuverings to Grant. He made no mention of McCartney at all.

Oversight or deliberate?
Interesting. thanks for the heads up
Isn't JMac suppose to be signing a new contract in the next few weeks??

Hey guys thought you might want an opposition supporters perspective. From what I could tell, he was under Alot of pressure from the media, Connors and to an extent the list management committee. With all that taken into considering his done a hell of a job. Just curious, is there any reason why he wasn't the one to finalise the stringer/schache trade? Was he there on the final day?
Hi Dan. JEDi 44 was asking a similar question about whether Chris Grant stepped in to take over at the end. We'll probably never know, but the club had the Stringer trade, the proposed pick swap with Carlton and the Schache trade all happening at the same time and with the clock ticking. The Schache trade literally happened at the last minute (with 30 seconds to go apparently) so we were probably spread pretty thin and needed to have McCartney doing the Schache deal.

Before this trade period many on this board thought that McCartney has done really well to re-sign almost everyone we have wanted to keep over the past five years, including all of the highly rated youngsters. But it is also a common view that he has been soft at the trade table and we've always paid too much and given players away cheaply. He seems to jump and complete a trade almost instantly, so I and many others were pleased to see us resist the temptation to jump at your first offer for Stringer.

Hi Dan. JEDi 44 was asking a similar question about whether Chris Grant stepped in to take over at the end. We'll probably never know, but the club had the Stringer trade, the proposed pick swap with Carlton and the Schache trade all happening at the same time and with the clock ticking. The Schache trade literally happened at the last minute (with 30 seconds to go apparently) so we were probably spread pretty thin and needed to have McCartney doing the Schache deal.

Before this trade period many on this board thought that McCartney has done really well to re-sign almost everyone we have wanted to keep over the past five years, including all of the highly rated youngsters. But it is also a common view that he has been soft at the trade table and we've always paid too much and given players away cheaply. He seems to jump and complete a trade almost instantly, so I and many others were pleased to see us resist the temptation to jump at your first offer for Stringer.
That's a fair point thanks mate. Going by Gordon's interview it seems Chris grant salvaged it in the end and that jmac might be out the door considering he didn't get a mention.

Piss poor

Trengrove was done before the period started

Couldn't convince his inseparable mate Impey to choose us

Ballsed up the Stringer deal

Then desperately signed Schache in the hope people would not see the forest

If we resign him I will be stunned

And looks like no coaching changes ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back