Analysis Derek Hine

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wasn't that Will's 1st significant injury? He has actually returned and then coped another minor injury, returned again Saturday. That would hardly make him injury prone.
Missed the whole pre season with a quad and has only played 4 games this year due to a calf. Would have missed 6 weeks with that. Previous year was the best with 5 AFL and 14 VFL. Year before that only 7 VFL games. Just feels like he's always injured.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Derek has got a few right, but got plenty wrong. Its a tough caper, but these guys make or break their reputation on who they do and dont pick.

His best moments have obviously been Pendles, Beams, Reid, Thomas (early pick), Grundy (no brainer), Goldsack and lesser knowns like Phillips & Smith... but here is a list of some of the talent he has missed on...

Took Ryan Cook and Danny Stanley... ahead of Andrew Swallow, Bernie Vince and Sam Gilbert
Took Nathan Brown... ahead of Jack Riewoldt & James Frawley
Took Chris Dawes... ahead of Goldstein & Tippett
Took Brad Dick... ahead of Robbie Gray (ouch)
Cameron Wood... instead of Robbie Tarrant, Alex Rance or Harry Taylor
J Mac (RIP)... ahead of Jack Steven & Easton Wood
Toby Thoolen... ahead of Cale Hooker (wow)
Daniel Farmer... ahead of Jarryd Lyons, Paul Puopolo and Claye Beams (why?)
Jarrad Blight & Luke Rounds... ahead of Michael Walters
Jackson Paine… ahead of Lachie Neale & Tory Dickson
Shaz and Nathan Freeman ahead of Patrick Cripps & Zach Merrett

You are bringing back some bad memories for me. Was guttered at the time we didnt take Swallow. All talk was were into Varcoe but the Cats jumped early. I was a huge Tippett fan that year and was desperate for us to get him. To be fair Brown had a massive AA year and Ben Reid was developing well and really highly thought of.

Robbie Gray had inj concerns hence why he fell.

Toby Thoolen was a shocking choice, never forget that one. He was picked from nowhere as a bottom ager in the last year you could pick 17yo's from memory. Again I think it was a shallow draft so I think they rolled the dice.

Farmer and Blight I was ok with but I was a massive Walters fan. Still remember him running around in his draft year. Kid was a bit wild though. They were really good juniors and likely types. Jackson Paine was also fair enough. He had a really good draft year and Champs. Just wasnt big enough in hindsight.

Shaz and Freeman were good choices at the time albeit Freeman ball use was an issue. Merrett was a bolter that year

As much as I liked Laverde, Langford and De Goey I was staggered we didnt hit Peter Wright that year. In hindsight was a poor choice. Like Freeman they recruited an average kick but Buckley was wedded to wanting ball winners.

Anyway is what it is. FWIW - plenty of kids wish we had drafted but didnt even go so what do i know!

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Missed the whole pre season with a quad and has only played 4 games this year due to a calf. Would have missed 6 weeks with that. Previous year was the best with 5 AFL and 14 VFL. Year before that only 7 VFL games. Just feels like he's always injured.
This is still only the second year on the (AFL) list for Wills. He was on the VFL list in 2015 and did miss plenty of games with "concussion", but I thought that was just meant to be the club's way of keeping him out of sight, as they had seen enough to want to draft him.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Year before he was playing as a TAC top up player so he was restricted in how much he could play, did well to play above his quota. So his 1st year he's managed 19 games, missed 1 with a calf from memory. This year disrupted preseason and missed the opening VFL game, now missing with a calf. Doesn't scream injury prone to me but there you go.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United
Can you enlighten us to these facts?
Roos made sure that the right Development Coaches were brought in to the club, and McCartney was one of them.
McCartney is highly rated at Melbourne as he built most of the Bulldogs premiership list and had them on the right track, but he lost the playing group due to his personality, so a more consultant type role better suits him.

They are also big believers in taking the VFL seriously, as it provides a way for younger players to develop a winning culture.

Scribe26

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Roos made sure that the right Development Coaches were brought in to the club, and McCartney was one of them.
McCartney is highly rated at Melbourne as he built most of the Bulldogs premiership list and had them on the right track, but he lost the playing group due to his personality, so a more consultant type role better suits him.

They are also big believers in taking the VFL seriously, as it provides a way for younger players to develop a winning culture.

That's all well and good - you were obviously being flippant with the word 'fact' originally?

Just peaked my curiosity is all.

I mean, Collingwood have people who are 'highly rated within the club' and I'm sure that if you ask anyone involved, they'll tell you we take our VFL seriously too.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is this the post you got banned for?
Admin must be a Phil Collins fan.

I think JMac self imposes bans when he needs a break from BF.

Wooljay

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2009
Omicron Persei 8
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
Derek has got a few right, but got plenty wrong. Its a tough caper, but these guys make or break their reputation on who they do and dont pick.

His best moments have obviously been Pendles, Beams, Reid, Thomas (early pick), Grundy (no brainer), Goldsack and lesser knowns like Phillips & Smith... but here is a list of some of the talent he has missed on...

Took Ryan Cook and Danny Stanley... ahead of Andrew Swallow, Bernie Vince and Sam Gilbert
Took Nathan Brown... ahead of Jack Riewoldt & James Frawley
Took Chris Dawes... ahead of Goldstein & Tippett
Took Brad Dick... ahead of Robbie Gray (ouch)
Cameron Wood... instead of Robbie Tarrant, Alex Rance or Harry Taylor
J Mac (RIP)... ahead of Jack Steven & Easton Wood
Toby Thoolen... ahead of Cale Hooker (wow)
Daniel Farmer... ahead of Jarryd Lyons, Paul Puopolo and Claye Beams (why?)
Jarrad Blight & Luke Rounds... ahead of Michael Walters
Jackson Paine… ahead of Lachie Neale & Tory Dickson
Shaz and Nathan Freeman ahead of Patrick Cripps & Zach Merrett

Those 3 I physically winced at.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So are we saying that Hine really has....the Bad Touch?

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is this the post you got banned for?
Admin must be a Phil Collins fan.

I get the feeling we have been here before. I guess its just another day...in paradise.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

Maybe im in a land of confusion.

And maybe Jason Taylor had the special touch, but Derek Hine has the invisible touch, yeah.

Maybe im in a land of confusion.

And maybe Jason Taylor had the special touch, but Derek Hine has the invisible touch, yeah.

Do you know something I don't know when it comes to Dekka? Invisible touch.... :eek:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you know something I don't know when it comes to Dekka? Invisible touch.... :eek:
It's all Phil Collins imagery
You're not missing anything
It was the genesis of the threads diversion

Howezat

Senior List
Jun 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ramsay instead of Stewart.
De Goey instead of Wright.

Glad we don't need any keys Derek or Jason or whoever left this list without a working spine.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ramsay instead of Stewart.
De Goey instead of Wright.

Glad we don't need any keys Derek or Jason or whoever left this list without a working spine.
But if the trend of the game is more mobile and a bit smaller what does that do for Wright? More rucking?

Besides I'm still glad we took De Goey he is quite special in ny view

Howezat

Senior List
Jun 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
But if the trend of the game is more mobile and a bit smaller what does that do for Wright? More rucking?

Besides I'm still glad we took De Goey he is quite special in ny view
De Goey might still go our way, every now and then he turns on the afterburners and makes you wonder how good he can be, but even in the modern game and even though he isn't in great form a 200cm forward won the flag for the Dogs last year. If you were sure Moore could become that player you'd target the smaller type key (Gunston/Cameron) to partner with him but I get nervous everytime he goes into the ruck. If we had 2 Metre Peter I'd just be nervous for the opposition ruckman.

cust22

Debutant
Mar 27, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we were to sack the list management team (which we should) who would we bring in? Who do you think we should try and get from other clubs?

If we were to sack the list management team (which we should) who would we bring in? Who do you think we should try and get from other clubs?
Why would you sack Rendell? Hine makes the final call on draftees and trades as the list manager, and Rendell has disagreed with him a few times. He reportedly wanted Wright ahead of JDG in 2014 for example.

We need a new list manager, but our junior talent ID is generally good.

Back