Toast Jason Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver was a stroke of genius.

Weideman might be getting a game earlier than we expected, too..

I would be extremely shocked if he played more than 2-3 games this season

We have a game plan that revolves around manic forward pressure and not being outmarked in our forward line as you saw by the way GWS chewed us apart when Davis was beating Hogan
No place at all for a skinny 18 year old key forward

We have a game plan that revolves around manic forward pressure and not being outmarked in our forward line as you saw by the way GWS chewed us apart when Davis was beating Hogan

And it'd probably help him as well to play at Casey all year.

We looked pretty bad when Hogan couldn't get hands to it and at least bring it to ground

I was partially referring to our lack of other forward targets, but apparently he took some good overhead and contested marks in Friday's scratch match.
Ah gotcha.
Yeah saw him at the G Saturday and needs to bulk up a bit I think

Put aside the work that Roos and Jackson have done Mitch White, Aaron Vandenberg, Josh Wagner James Harmes taken on the rookie list and all 4 look able to play 100 AFL games for melbourne.. 3 of the 4 best 22 this season

Salem, JKH, Hunt in his first draft in 2013
Salem I still have doubts about and JKH looks finished at AFL level but to get hunt at 57 was amazing
Salem of course came with Dom Tyson

2014 saw us take Brayshaw Petracca Stretch O.Mac and ANB in the draft and the 15 saw us take Oliver Weiderman King and Hulett

Need more time to assess the last 2 drafts but Jeez most of those seem to be going ok

Combine that with getting Vince, Cross, Bugg, Kennedy, Tyson, Frost etc and you can see what my statement is going to be

Sign this guy up for a decade!!!!

I would be confident betting that none of those will get to 100 AFL games for us. Harmes and Vandenberg may push 50. Agree with the greater sentiment though.

I'm with your original call TopKent, I think all four will. Each of them have come in and looked competent straight away. That's often not the case. Taylor is a genius, a huge part in turning our club around.
Barry Prendergast did his best to fold us but JT has undone a lot of the damage in three drafts. In JT I trust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with your original call TopKent, I think all four will. Each of them have come in and looked competent straight away. That's often not the case. Taylor is a genius, a huge part in turning our club around.
Barry Prendergast did his best to fold us but JT has undone a lot of the damage in three drafts. In JT I trust.

Harmes and white are 20, Wagner? And VDB is 23 ... plenty of footy left in all of them at the top level
History tells you that players every year drop away that you couldn't predict (Dunn this year) and are replaced by young blokes but those rookies haven't done much wrong yet

Put aside the work that Roos and Jackson have done Mitch White, Aaron Vandenberg, Josh Wagner James Harmes taken on the rookie list and all 4 look able to play 100 AFL games for melbourne.. 3 of the 4 best 22 this season

Salem, JKH, Hunt in his first draft in 2013
Salem I still have doubts about and JKH looks finished at AFL level but to get hunt at 57 was amazing
Salem of course came with Dom Tyson

2014 saw us take Brayshaw Petracca Stretch O.Mac and ANB in the draft and the 15 saw us take Oliver Weiderman King and Hulett

Need more time to assess the last 2 drafts but Jeez most of those seem to be going ok

Combine that with getting Vince, Cross, Bugg, Kennedy, Tyson, Frost etc and you can see what my statement is going to be

Sign this guy up for a decade!!!!

How can you doubt Salem?

The rookie picks have been great. White looks very comfortable at the level. AVB will keep getting better if he can stay fit. He'll be vital in a half forward role going forward. Harmes has improved a heap and again he'll continue to improve in our system.
Wagner also looks comfortable at AFL level.

How can you doubt Salem?

Probably watching him out of position in the back half has made me forget what he is capable of but I don't rate his kicking
He was under hitting passes that dribbled along the ground or just kicking blindly alot this season and no one seemed to notice

He should be moved up to the wing when he is fit

Probably watching him out of position in the back half has made me forget what he is capable of but I don't rate his kicking
He was under hitting passes that dribbled along the ground or just kicking blindly alot this season and no one seemed to notice

He should be moved up to the wing when he is fit
He's not been well. The man is a good kick and skilled technician and deserved to go top 10

He's tough and he can win the footy so he has a base to work with .. plenty of time on his side
I don't really know but I choose to think that once this is behind him, and it is nasty but fixable stuff, he could be the guy that compensates for no first round pick next year. Ideally I hope for that from him and Angus.

I don't really know but I choose to think that once this is behind him, and it is nasty but fixable stuff, he could be the guy that compensates for no first round pick next year. Ideally I hope for that from him and Angus.

Would his illness have affected his performance this year?
Side note.. isn't it amazing we have only played 1 of our drafters this year

Would his illness have affected his performance this year?
Side note.. isn't it amazing we have only played 1 of our drafters this year
Almost definitely - and it would have been a little while in picking up in an athlete too. Slow build to these types of conditions, but all the things like over fast heart rate, losing fluid too quickly though sweat etc. in a way Salem is pretty lucky to be an elite athlete surrounded by medicos treating him like a thoroughbred horse because most people might have wandered on feeling more and more like s**t for years before it is picked up. But it's largely treatable, though I wouldn't take bets on seeing him this year. Good pre season and next year is my hope. Roosy seems to like him - maybe Goodwin does? Who knows.

It's incredible we have a top 10 draft pick being developed as opposed to exploited on a membership drive like Watts. Can't believe our luck that Watts is keen to stay - our previous administration treated him shamefully.

Actually, I think it is incredible we can run a best 22 without dipping into the year 12 graduates every time. Makes me feel good. Even though I hate it when we lose, if we lose the rest of this year but look solid and competitive I will take that. I think finally this rebuild is real

Remove this Banner Ad

Back