Toast Jason Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't give him credit for the Brayshaw and Petracca picks, they pick themselves.

Harmes and AVB from the rookie list and Hannan and Fristch from the VFL. That's 4 quality players from nothing picks.

Weid and Salem looking pretty good aswell.

Like Toumpas picked himself? Still gotta get it right mate

I don't give him credit for the Brayshaw and Petracca picks, they pick themselves.

Harmes and AVB from the rookie list and Hannan and Fristch from the VFL. That's 4 quality players from nothing picks.

Weid and Salem looking pretty good aswell.
Saints picked them for us. Yay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has his drafting as good as it was made out to be?
Seperate list management decisions and pure drafting decisions.

Of the side on the weekend these players were drafted by Taylor

Salem
Harmes
Petracca ?
Viney
Brayshaw
Oliver
ANB ?
Sparrow
Omac ?
Hunt ?
Weideman ?
Lockhart
Fritsch

Im not giving him Viney because his dad works for us, literally no choice.

So of the 22 we used, only 4 would be considered draft successes as of now.

Salem is a good player, but the decision to trade for him has been badly costful. I understand why we did it and Ill always maintain i was the right decision but in the cold hard light you cant consider Tyson and Salem for Kelly in any world a win.

Oliver = Superstar
Brayshaw im giving as a success but hes a poorly skilled inside mid, Matt Crouch went at 23, Taylor Adams for less.
Harmes + Fritsch = Rookie picks so huge success

Weid isnt a failure at all, just dont think you can call him a success just yet.
Petracca as well is not justifying his selection.

Considering how much time we have spent at the bottom of the ladder, its not exactly a huge success rate is it?

Is the real hero of our list Josh Mahoney?

Hibberd, Melksham, Vince, Lewis, Lever, May, Frost, Garlett, KK

Oliver is the only real seperator, so is Taylors drafting overrated or is our development still a huge concern for the club?

3 games ago, Taylor a genius! 3 games later, he is over rated..

So are you saying Taylor Adams is better than Brayshaw? Brayshaw is a big tick for me. Same with Salem. Not sure you can blame for the Tyson /Salem trade for Pick 2? Didn't Roos come out and say we wouldn't have even drafted Kelly with that pick?

2 years ago he's a genius for picking Hunt late, now it's a poor decision..

OMac was a late pick, so without looking it up, not sure there would have been much better around at his pick. Same with ANB. Mid 30s pick that could be hit or miss. Not sure many picked after ANB would be better?

Weid is still too early to call, but again, was it completely his call to pick him? We traded up specifically to get him. So might have been a directive to get him. Again, after last years first two finals, Taylor would have been labeled a genius.

Sparrow too early to call, but my concern was we should be targeting players with leg speed. Last years draft was a horrible one to not have a high pick. I feel we missed out on exactly what we need by not having a high pick. Could be very costly.

There are so many factors. Player development, injuries, outside influences etc etc. I think he's done a better job than the clowns before him. Plus, he gets a pass for Oliver alone.

3 games ago, Taylor a genius! 3 games later, he is over rated..

So are you saying Taylor Adams is better than Brayshaw? Brayshaw is a big tick for me. Same with Salem. Not sure you can blame for the Tyson /Salem trade for Pick 2? Didn't Roos come out and say we wouldn't have even drafted Kelly with that pick?

2 years ago he's a genius for picking Hunt late, now it's a poor decision..

OMac was a late pick, so without looking it up, not sure there would have been much better around at his pick. Same with ANB. Mid 30s pick that could be hit or miss. Not sure many picked after ANB would be better?

Weid is still too early to call, but again, was it completely his call to pick him? We traded up specifically to get him. So might have been a directive to get him. Again, after last years first two finals, Taylor would have been labeled a genius.

Sparrow too early to call, but my concern was we should be targeting players with leg speed. Last years draft was a horrible one to not have a high pick. I feel we missed out on exactly what we need by not having a high pick. Could be very costly.

There are so many factors. Player development, injuries, outside influences etc etc. I think he's done a better job than the clowns before him. Plus, he gets a pass for Oliver alone.

Good call, i am all for people questioning decisions and having their opinions but there seems a few overreactions on here after 2 poor games. As you said this wasn't an issue the friday before a prelim.

Roos has always said going in 2014 we needed more midfield depth hence why the tyson/salem - kelly deal was done.

I've even heard people say we shouldn't of traded Watts, but we got Fritsch with that pick so no arguments there, once again no one questioned the Watts trade late last year or even in the off season with all his "troubles"

Has his drafting as good as it was made out to be?
Seperate list management decisions and pure drafting decisions.

Of the side on the weekend these players were drafted by Taylor

Salem
Harmes
Petracca ?
Viney
Brayshaw
Oliver

ANB ?
Sparrow
Omac ?
Hunt ?
Weideman ?
Lockhart
Fritsch

Im not giving him Viney because his dad works for us, literally no choice.

So of the 22 we used, only 4 would be considered draft successes as of now.

Salem is a good player, but the decision to trade for him has been badly costful. I understand why we did it and Ill always maintain i was the right decision but in the cold hard light you cant consider Tyson and Salem for Kelly in any world a win.

Oliver = Superstar
Brayshaw im giving as a success but hes a poorly skilled inside mid, Matt Crouch went at 23, Taylor Adams for less.
Harmes + Fritsch = Rookie picks so huge success

Weid isnt a failure at all, just dont think you can call him a success just yet.
Petracca as well is not justifying his selection.

Considering how much time we have spent at the bottom of the ladder, its not exactly a huge success rate is it?

Is the real hero of our list Josh Mahoney?

Hibberd, Melksham, Vince, Lewis, Lever, May, Frost, Garlett, KK

Oliver is the only real seperator, so is Taylors drafting overrated or is our development still a huge concern for the club?

We have traded aggressively over the past few years giving Taylor not a lot to work with. He's been forced to focus deeper into the draft which is where most of his recent successes come from.

I think people are getting a bit carried away with how deep our current issues actually run. I think it begins and ends with our preseason. We're clearly not fit and whatever the coaches are trying to do clearly isn't working. I think we may have potentially over-corrected and overestimated the impact the new rules would have or the sheer amount of players removed from the main group for the majority of preseason has left us with a team that can't connect.

I think our year will improve and we'll be a bit like Essendon last year. Make a late run but come up just short after a horrible start to the year.

Don't think I ever said he was a failure....

I asked whether our list success is actually more down to Mahoney than Taylor

Still trying to work this out also. I honestly believe Taylor is a gun recruiter. I rate him extremely highly with his success of willing to pull the trigger on Oliver and even plucking AVB out of nowhere. Unfortunately he's just been decimated with injuries.

My biggest issue right now is that so far we have traded three 1st round draft picks for Lever and May. I was shocked and annoyed we caved in and gave up so much for Lever, thats poor list management and that i am blaming Josh Mahoney.

I watched Zac Butters last week run rings around our mids using zip and pace and then Jordan Clark on the weekend also displaying his speed and poise. We are crying out for outside run and carry and i feel we have missed a golden opportunity on adding some high quality talent with outside run.

Im sure Tom Sparrow will be a good player, but he is exactly the opposite of what we need right now.

I watched Zac Butters last week run rings around our mids using zip and pace and then Jordan Clark on the weekend also displaying his speed and poise. We are crying out for outside run and carry and i feel we have missed a golden opportunity on adding some high quality talent with outside run.

Im sure Tom Sparrow will be a good player, but he is exactly the opposite of what we need right now.

Right so Taylor is the one who went for an inside mid, an a couple of medium defenders with our picks.

Had we stuck with Omac an Frost as our only key defenders we would never have progressed

Right so Taylor is the one who went for an inside mid, an a couple of medium defenders with our picks.

Had we stuck with Omac an Frost as our only key defenders we would never have progressed

Simon Goodwin would have some insight into the type of players he would want around draft time. We bid on Rhylee West which tells me that our first pick was going to be an inside midfielder. Last years draft confused me. The only speedy type player we drafted was Bedford.

Not sure if we have actually progressed any further? Going by Mays injury it looks like we are stuck with Oscar and Frost for few weeks... 🤦‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back