Toast Jason Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

My personal opinion is Taylor's job at the draft table is far from done.
I think we went heavily on one trick and completely neglected other areas, the fact that we haven't drafted a good small forward since Austin Wonaemirri like 10 years ago is ******* concerning.

Our midfields not even that good, Gawn dominating made it look much better than it is but it's thin an one dimensional

It's a list build not gonna happen over night we got the inside mids a few years ago (Oliver, Brayshaw,Viney)
supposedly got the talented mid size forward(Petracca still want a full pre season b4 i judge him)
Got the Big forward(Weid)
Traded for leaders/Experience cause Jones aint a leaders arsehole
Seen our big defenders were shite so spent a few years getting a couple(May,Lever, Petty)
which left us bare for a few years in picks
The pacey running players we have drafted havent come on(Hunt, ANB, Baker, Stretch)
I reckon this is the last year of the actual build and we'll be adding the wingers and anybody with pace cause that's the area that has failed rest is a tick from me.

It's a list build not gonna happen over night we got the inside mids a few years ago (Oliver, Brayshaw,Viney)
supposedly got the talented mid size forward(Petracca still want a full pre season b4 i judge him)
Got the Big forward(Weid)
Traded for leaders/Experience cause Jones aint a leaders arsehole
Seen our big defenders were shite so spent a few years getting a couple(May,Lever, Petty)
which left us bare for a few years in picks
The pacey running players we have drafted havent come on(Hunt, ANB, Baker, Stretch)
I reckon this is the last year of the actual build and we'll be adding the wingers and anybody with pace cause that's the area that has failed rest is a tick from me.

Baker - One player i have completely forgotten about. I remember watching his draft highlights and thinking he's exactly what we need. Someone who is willing to run and carry along the wings but spread hard from the contests. He missed a fair chunk of the pre season due to his hammies, so i am hoping with each game time he is getting under his belt at Casey, he is slowly building up to put his name in front of the selection committee.

He is the type of player i can see thriving more at AFL level then VFL where it is more congested and not much space to utilize his speed.

Baker - One player i have completely forgotten about. I remember watching his draft highlights and thinking he's exactly what we need. Someone who is willing to run and carry along the wings but spread hard from the contests. He missed a fair chunk of the pre season due to his hammies, so i am hoping with each game time he is getting under his belt at Casey, he is slowly building up to put his name in front of the selection committee.

He is the type of player i can see thriving more at AFL level then VFL where it is more congested and not much space to utilize his speed.
Yeah if we can get Baker and Hunt into form and injury free for a period of time then we'll look so much better. Chuck Bedford in the pocket its such a different looking line up. Our preseason injuries have well and truly ****ed our start of the year but if we can beat bombers and Sydney then we are back to even and then start getting our best 22 players back its not all doom and gloom just yet

Don't think I ever said he was a failure....

I asked whether our list success is actually more down to Mahoney than Taylor
Mahoney has traded away all of his good picks since 2016.

My personal opinion is Taylor's job at the draft table is far from done.
I think we went heavily on one trick and completely neglected other areas, the fact that we haven't drafted a good small forward since Austin Wonaemirri like 10 years ago is ******* concerning.

Our midfields not even that good, Gawn dominating made it look much better than it is but it's thin an one dimensional
We should of kept Dean Kent

We should of kept Dean Kent
gave you a like for a positive KENT post. It's automatic on my part. I really like the Kent and always have. Even wish him well as a Saint, which comes hard for me...

gave you a like for a positive KENT post. It's automatic on my part. I really like the Kent and always have. Even wish him well as a Saint, which comes hard for me...
Too many injuries with us. Hope he does well at his new club, but he would be handy for us right now.

Not sure if it is the list or the way we are playing at the moment. Start lowering the eyes and stop hacking everything forward even when not under pressure and the whole team will look better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Football clubs are competitive places. Not every player drafted can actually make the team let alone be considered a success. Case in point, look at how many top end picks the Giants have just thrown away in recent years.

Big shout out to Jason Taylor, I think a lot has changed but I think the growth began around the time he joined.

And looking deeper, we have I think 5 players from the pre-Taylor era.

Jones, Gawn, Viney, Jetta, Tmac

I may be slightly off but all others appear to have been drafted or recruited post 2013.

This team has largely been pieces together by Jason and his team.

One thing we all keep saying is how good he has been with those picks around 30, Fritsch, Neal Bullen, Sparrow, Petty, Rivers, Spargo, Jordan, Hunt.

How good is Jason.

edit - Jetta, Tmac

Last edited:
Big shout out to Jason Taylor, I think a lot has changed but I think the growth began around the time he joined.

And looking deeper, we have I think 3 players from the pre-Taylor era.

Jones, Gawn, Viney

I may be slightly off but all others appear to have been drafted or recruited post 2013.

This team has largely been pieces together by Jason and his team.

One thing we all keep saying is how good he has been with those picks around 30, Fritsch, Neal Bullen, Sparrow, Petty, Rivers, Spargo, Jordan, Hunt.

How good is Jason.
12 months ago most of these were threatening to be busts. Now they have roles in a team full of stars they all look good.

Bit of Richmond effect about this, everyone looks like a world beater when you're playing alongside a few of em :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Exactly. Sliding doors ANB and Tmac are traded, never find confidence and are both delisted within a couple years. Petty has to go forward and never really plays well etc.

12 months ago most of these were threatening to be busts. Now they have roles in a team full of stars they all look good.
Disagree slightly, fritsch and rivers obviously fine, Jordan injured, Petty had shown he was useful when swung forward and was still very young, Hunt I don’t like in our best 22 but for where he was picked he was never a bust. Just think it is a decent strike rate with your secondary level of picks.

Disagree slightly, fritsch and rivers obviously fine, Jordan injured, Petty had shown he was useful when swung forward and was still very young, Hunt I don’t like in our best 22 but for where he was picked he was never a bust. Just think it is a decent strike rate with your secondary level of picks.
Revisionist. If anything though it means don't judge too early but these picks certainly didn't look that good at the end of 19 and 20

Revisionist. If anything though it means don't judge too early but these picks certainly didn't look that good at the end of 19 and 20
It’s hard, Rivers was straight up good in 20, Fritsch I don’t think was bad, was played out of position, I don’t think I ever thought he was a bust, likewise Petty in 19 was 19 and had played games, some decent as a forward. Spargo was good when we played finals.
Which is a lot of what your saying in that everyone looks good when your winning.
Other than Fritsch none are “great” players yet but I think he still hit on 50% of them even during 19/20.

It’s hard, Rivers was straight up good in 20, Fritsch I don’t think was bad, was played out of position, I don’t think I ever thought he was a bust, likewise Petty in 19 was 19 and had played games, some decent as a forward. Spargo was good when we played finals.
Which is a lot of what your saying in that everyone looks good when your winning.
Other than Fritsch none are “great” players yet but I think he still hit on 50% of them even during 19/20.

They're all really solid. We haven't quite found a superstar from past 20 in the draft but we haven't completely missed either.

Our drafting really has been excellent since the 2012 debacle which saw the planned drafting of Wines at pick 4 switched to the lamentable Toumpas at the last minute. That was the last of what seemed countless years of many draft failures with only occasional successes.

From 2013 to 2020 we had 18 top 40 picks and 14 of them will most likely play in this year's GF.

2- Petracca
3- Jackson
3- Brayshaw
4- Oliver
9- Salem
9- Weideman
12- Pickett
21- Bowey
22- Laurie
27- Sparrow
29- Spargo
31- Fritsch
32- Rivers
33- Jordon
34- Rosman
37- Petty
40- Kennedy-Harris
40- Neale-Bullen

It's too early to judge Rosman who was always a bit of a project player, or Laurie who's season was injury interrupted. Weideman is starting to look like a failure and after showing early promise Kennedy-Harris failed to make it. The rest could be premiership players in a fortnight. That's an incredible success rate.

Add the insightful trading that brought players like May, Lever, Langdon, Brown and Hibberd to the club in that period and you can see why the team is now so powerful.

(The other 4 players likely to play in the Grand Final are Harmes who was picked up in the rookie draft in 2013 and Gawn, Viney and McDonald who were rare draft successes prior to 2013)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back