Past #17: Jasper Pittard - delisted after 33 NM games/5 NM goals - thanks Jasper

Remove this Banner Ad

We should have gone harder at someone like Wilson/Johannisen.

Speed, great skills and break the lines, but also defend really well.

Pittard is soft, makes average decisions and a bad defender 1 on 1.

Has JoJo hit a target in his career? He makes Greenwood seem sure of foot.

I remember being very very very angry when Alistair Lynch signed his $1m 10 year deal. Still am a bit.

I bet Horace, and that's before names like Roos, Osbourne and Pert (all defectors) are raised.

Loved the Pittard highlight from 2016 where he burned through half of the GWS team at full pace.

So he is basiaclly a slightly more attacking Aaron Mullett.

Not sure I see the point. Maybe some porkies by his management to get $$$ locked away from Port considering it is known we have a massive wad.

Of cash.
This undersells Pittard and oversells Mullett. Pittard is better at attacking than Mullett but the biggest difference is Mullett offers nothing defensively. He had the highest loss rate in one on one contests of the top ten defenders at the club last year, he rates below average for intercept possessions and poor for intercept marks. In comparison Pittard rates elite for spoils, intercept possessions as well as being top four in the competition last year for metres gained.

Is this the part where we all say that we don't like him and he's not worth it... Until the rumours are he agrees to come to Nth...Then people think he ain't too bad... Then he moves over, has a few good games in the JLT... Then we all talk about how great he is, how we did well in the trade and what a bargain he is?
Repeat - Waite, Williams etc.
That's why as soon as a player is linked to North i talk them up. At the minute i have pittard as the best half back in the game. When he doesn't sign i'll say oh well i never rated him and i think mullet is better.

Let me speculate here a little bit.

If we land Kelly then we are going to need a 1st round pick + a bit more, maybe an early 2nd rounder or even a 2nd 1st round to get the deal done.

If we can pick up Pittard for nothing this may allow us to offload a similar type, say for instance, an Atley or a McMillan. These picks couldd be used in the Kelly deal.

The end result being we get in Kelly for the equivalent of just one 1st round pick. That would be a win IMO.

This undersells Pittard and oversells Mullett. Pittard is better at attacking than Mullett but the biggest difference is Mullett offers nothing defensively. He had the highest loss rate in one on one contests of the top ten defenders at the club last year, he rates below average for intercept possessions and poor for intercept marks. In comparison Pittard rates elite for spoils, intercept possessions as well as being top four in the competition last year for metres gained.
Where you get those stats from? Would like to see how Mullett compares this year to last.

For comparison this year Pittard is averaging 2.7 more disposals, at 77.6% (Mullett at 86.1%), one more mark, 3.7 r/50 to 5.1, 2 1%rs to 1.7 and 4 I50's to 1.3 for Mullett.

Where you get those stats from? Would like to see how Mullett compares this year to last.

For comparison this year Pittard is averaging 2.7 more disposals, at 77.6% (Mullett at 86.1%), one more mark, 3.7 r/50 to 5.1, 2 1%rs to 1.7 and 4 I50's to 1.3 for Mullett.
From this year's AFL prospectus. I think Mullett's attacking improved a lot this year and is generally making better decisions but his intercept game is still poor. Just from the eye test Pittard is very good overhead and that facet of Mullett's game is non-existent.

Not sure if its a replacement for mullet, I think its just an identification that overall we are a little slow along our defensive lines. We have mitch hibberd coming along, but apart from him we don't have more depth for that position.

From this year's AFL prospectus. I think Mullett's attacking improved a lot this year and is generally making better decisions but his intercept game is still poor. Just from the eye test Pittard is very good overhead and that facet of Mullett's game is non-existent.
Definately different in that regard, more athletic. I like Pittard and he is a better player, but that much better that he will make a big difference over the 2017 version of Mullett? I don't think so.

Definately different in that regard, more athletic. I like Pittard and he is a better player, but that much better that he will make a big difference over the 2017 version of Mullett? I don't think so.

Big improvement over Atley though?

I think he would be. I think Mullett's half a player. Can't defend and his contested game is very limited. The deal looks bigger than it is. As I said earlier I think it would be smart and we've got plenty of cap space to play with.

Let me speculate here a little bit.

If we land Kelly then we are going to need a 1st round pick + a bit more, maybe an early 2nd rounder or even a 2nd 1st round to get the deal done.

If we can pick up Pittard for nothing this may allow us to offload a similar type, say for instance, an Atley or a McMillan. These picks couldd be used in the Kelly deal.

The end result being we get in Kelly for the equivalent of just one 1st round pick. That would be a win IMO.
Joyce is very smart so it wouldn't surprise me if this was the train of thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he is basiaclly a slightly more attacking Aaron Mullett.

Not sure I see the point. Maybe some porkies by his management to get $$$ locked away from Port considering it is known we have a massive wad.

Of cash.
In relation to statistical output, this year specifically, not really.

As a player I prefer him to Fish but $600k a year for someone a bit more effective in a very similar role than what we already have?

LIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKE.

$600K for a HBF is madness unless it's Docherty, Yeo or Laird. Out of interest, are score-launches stats available anywhere?

Mullett 19.6d @ 86%, 4.0 intercept poss, 348m, 3.1 score involvements
Pittard 22.3d @ 78%, 4.9 intercept poss, 458m, 5.3 score involvements

so ...

double the salary for one more intercept possession, 2 more score involvements, and a more attacking but flakier kicking game. Port have kicked 143.124 (av 16.14) to our 142.114 (av 14.11) so the score involvements are more or less legit, though they do average 5 more scoring shots than us per game.

Pass.

LIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKELIKE.

$600K for a HBF is madness unless it's Docherty, Yeo or Laird. Out of interest, are score-launches stats available anywhere?

Mullett 19.6d @ 86%, 4.0 intercept poss, 348m, 3.1 score involvements
Pittard 22.3d @ 78%, 4.9 intercept poss, 458m, 5.3 score involvements

so ...

double the salary for one more intercept possession, 2 more score involvements, and a more attacking but flakier kicking game. Port have kicked 143.124 (av 16.14) to our 142.114 (av 14.11) so the score involvements are more or less legit, though they do average 5 more scoring shots than us per game.

Pass.
He probably playing a slightly more advanced role than Mullett and is a better physical unit. I think that he is a better player too but not that much based upon Fish's year to date.

Mullet was like 3rd in rebound 50's in the AFL or something before he was injured.

We should have gone harder at someone like Wilson/Johannisen.

Speed, great skills and break the lines, but also defend really well.

Pittard is soft, makes average decisions and a bad defender 1 on 1.
Has JoJo hit a target in his career? He makes Greenwood seem sure of foot.
Yes, he's a great kick... and way better than Pittard.

Yes, he's a great kick... and way better than Pittard.
$600k in 2018 is exactly equivalent to $500k in 2017 (20% increase in CBA). Pittard at $500k sounds about right to me - a bit overs, but that's what you need to do to dislodge players from opposition clubs. And I doubt the offer (if true) adversely affects our capacity to land Martin and Kelly as well.

Key with Pittard is that he fits exactly into the game plan Scott is going with (and that is working) in 2017. Pittard is known for taking risks with his run and disposal in the back half, often going the high-risk, high-reward kick down the corridor - and usually succeeding. When it doesn't come off it looks disastrous and usually ends up in a goal the other way, which is why it's easy to remember him as a clanger-prone player. But as his metres gained numbers suggest, it is incredibly damaging when it works. This style is, on balance, going great guns for NM this year - and personally I love it as it is high-octane, entertaining football.

In short - Pittard is a massive upgrade on Mullet and Atley and worth $600k.

Declan.............kicks it to Jasper.....................who handballs to Corey............he passes to Jy........

Whatever happened to people giving their sons actual men's names?

Allan Killigrew would be rolling in his grave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back