Universal Love Jasper "The Banana" Pittard Bandwagon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think jasper for me, has now set the bar as to how we crticise players; young ones in particular. He has now played 83 games. Rewind to before 50 his run and carry has not progressed to where it is now, his disposal was arse but now we no longer hold our breath when hes in possession and his decision making in not running around in circles/deciding between 30 options and getting run down to the reassurance and choosing the correct option has excelled to a new level and which is why he will make the aa squad of 40 this year

I think jasper for me, has now set the bar as to how we crticise players; young ones in particular. He has now played 83 games. Rewind to before 50 his run and carry has not progressed to where it is now, his disposal was arse but now we no longer hold our breath when hes in possession and his decision making in not running around in circles/deciding between 30 options and getting run down to the reassurance and choosing the correct option has excelled to a new level and which is why he will make the aa squad of 40 this year
We no longer hold our breath when he's in possession is a massive understatement. He's one of, if not our most reliable with ball in hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pittard was never that bad
Yes he was. His clanger kicks in 2011 were horrendous. They were u/10 type errors. I know as I was there in the freezing cold at footy park when there were 14,000 of us and he would take the wrong options, or just butcher the ball when there was minimal pressure on him. He was an elite clanger maker in 2011, ie top 5% average clangers per game in the league along with Pearce and Rodan that year.

But he has reduced his clanger kicks. He then went on these horrendous runs and because he doesnt have a right foot he would get himself into trouble and either get caught holding the ball or slip trying to dodge blokes and fall over and get done holding the ball, or have no awareness of what was behind him and he would get run down and get caught holding the ball.

But in 2015 and 2016 he has greatly reduced these fundamental u/10, u/12 type errors to go with his attacking footy. That's what I admire about Jasper, he had deficiencies but he worked at it and slowly over time has fixed up his problem areas. He's made several errors this year and I havent spat the dummy because he is trying things because there is no one else giving him an option. And his defensive play has improved over the last 2 years. Jasper is a fine example if you keep working on your deficiencies to go with your positive attributes, you can go from a liability to a big asset.

Number Crunch: Jasper Pittard has gone from clumsy defender to Port Adelaide’s metre eater
KEN Hinkley declared it was time. Time for a player who reminds him a little bit of himself in his early playing days to stop the comical backline errors and take his game to the next level. “I asked him to be mature,’’ Port Adelaide coach Hinkley said of his pre-season message to seventh-year defender Jasper Pittard. “You’ve played enough games now, Jasper, it’s time for you to be mature and make those good decisions and keep your composure out there on the footy field, you’ve got enough experience.’’

Mature he has. Pittard — long maligned even by Power supporters for ruining some of his exhilarating play with head-scratching turnovers — has been one of Port’s biggest success stories in its inconsistent start to 2016. The 25-year-old half-back flanker — selected at pick 16 at the 2009 national draft — has played with great dash and bravery to average a career-high 25.5 disposals (up from 19.6 last year) at a personal-best 76 per cent kicking efficiency, a league-best 641 metres gained per game and 96 SuperCoach points.........................
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r/news-story/72332ee38273e0148537ab4a6c381820

dbda68ec0a8634370065961ae2edbaa8

ca8a3e053626c10c951d13478e6d2bcb

Number Crunch: Jasper Pittard has gone from clumsy defender to Port Adelaide’s metre eater
KEN Hinkley declared it was time. Time for a player who reminds him a little bit of himself in his early playing days to stop the comical backline errors and take his game to the next level. “I asked him to be mature,’’ Port Adelaide coach Hinkley said of his pre-season message to seventh-year defender Jasper Pittard. “You’ve played enough games now, Jasper, it’s time for you to be mature and make those good decisions and keep your composure out there on the footy field, you’ve got enough experience.’’

Mature he has. Pittard — long maligned even by Power supporters for ruining some of his exhilarating play with head-scratching turnovers — has been one of Port’s biggest success stories in its inconsistent start to 2016. The 25-year-old half-back flanker — selected at pick 16 at the 2009 national draft — has played with great dash and bravery to average a career-high 25.5 disposals (up from 19.6 last year) at a personal-best 76 per cent kicking efficiency, a league-best 641 metres gained per game and 96 SuperCoach points.........................
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r/news-story/72332ee38273e0148537ab4a6c381820

dbda68ec0a8634370065961ae2edbaa8

ca8a3e053626c10c951d13478e6d2bcb
If only the rest of the team could show the same linear improvement. He and the young DBJ have basically saved our bacon so far this year.

Yes he was. His clanger kicks in 2011 were horrendous. They were u/10 type errors. I know as I was there in the freezing cold at footy park when there were 14,000 of us and he would take the wrong options, or just butcher the ball when there was minimal pressure on him. He was an elite clanger maker in 2011, ie top 5% average clangers per game in the league along with Pearce and Rodan that year.

But he has reduced his clanger kicks. He then went on these horrendous runs and because he doesnt have a right foot he would get himself into trouble and either get caught holding the ball or slip trying to dodge blokes and fall over and get done holding the ball, or have no awareness of what was behind him and he would get run down and get caught holding the ball.

But in 2015 and 2016 he has greatly reduced these fundamental u/10, u/12 type errors to go with his attacking footy. That's what I admire about Jasper, he had deficiencies but he worked at it and slowly over time has fixed up his problem areas. He's made several errors this year and I havent spat the dummy because he is trying things because there is no one else giving him an option. And his defensive play has improved over the last 2 years. Jasper is a fine example if you keep working on your deficiencies to go with your positive attributes, you can go from a liability to a big asset.

100% Agree. I remember one game in 2011 Pittard and Chaplin seemed to have a competition on who could kick the ball out of bounds or to a direct opponent the most! Bloody horrendous to watch. But credit to him, he's legitimately gone from comical and heart in mouth to our smoothest mover.

Here's hoping he manages the hype better than he did last season when he started off in AA form then trailed off because he's a genuine chance this year due to how many gun running half backs will miss long periods of the season Murphy, Johannisen etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back