Senior Jaxon Prior (2019-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Bio
Was a key member of Western Australia’s winning team in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18Championships, playing all four matches and averaging 16 disposals and four marks. He starred inUnder 18’s in WAFL, averaging 28 disposals in midfield and defensive roles and progressed to debut at senior level averaging 19 disposals in two matches. He is the son of former Essendon and West Coast Eagles player Michael Prior, who is now on the coaching panel at Fremantle.

Highlights @ https://draftprospects.prod.afl/prospect/1009386

"Having averaged 27.4 disposals and six marks per game in the Colts with West Perth, Prior's senior WAFL debut in August yielded 21 disposals and six strong marks across half-back against East Fremantle."

"Prior's ability to read the play and his willingness to drift into packs to take big marks was evident in the seniors, as was his clean and composed ball use out of the backline."

Should fit in well at the club with it's current golf culture!

Paywall unfortunately...

West Australian young guns Deven Robertson and Jaxon Prior are the latest Brisbane Lions players to re-sign with the Club, committing until 2022.

Robertson and Prior both came to the Club from Perth in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft at Pick 22 and 59 respectively.

Robertson played his first senior game in 2020 and impressed as a big-bodied midfielder and while Prior is yet to make his debut at Senior level the Club is confident in his ability as a classy hybrid defender.

Brisbane’s Senior Coach, Chris Fagan, said the Club was happy to see the West Australian products join a host of young players that have also recently extended their time in Brisbane.

“We’re really pleased to have Deven and Jaxon re-sign with the Club,” Fagan said.

“We see them both as emerging players for us and we believe they have a strong part to play in our future.

“They are both very team-focussed young men who add significantly to the selfless culture we are building here at the Lions and they join a host of other young players who have recommitted in 2020.”

Guernsey Numbers Revealed
Jaxon Prior - 20

West Australians with precision left boots are a part of the fabric of the Brisbane Lions and Jaxon Prior has elected for a swap to claim a number made famous by one of the all-time greats.

The second year midfielder-half back will now wear number 20 once owned by triple premiership hero and Club games record holder Simon Black.

Black wore the number in all of his 322 games for the Club in a 16-year career in which he won the 2002 Brownlow medal and the 2003 Norm Smith medal.

Cedric Cox wore the No.20 guernsey for the past four years.

Smith a standout in VFL practice match

Marcus Adams, Connor Ballenden and Jaxon Prior were other standouts in the 9.12 (66) to 10.5 (65) victory which also saw a return to action for defender Noah Answerth after battling with a groin injury since last season.

Prior was used on the wing where he was able to find a lot of the footy and showcase his ball use.

He finished the game with 21 disposals while Deven Robertson was the major ball winner for the Lions with 25 disposals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Duo Making A Spark In Pack

Article-size-template.png

A friendship forged over half time oranges on chilly Western Australian Saturday mornings is now being celebrated in front of appreciative Gabba crowds as Dev Robertson and Jaxon Prior fast become Lions’ fan favourites.

The schoolboy teammates caught the attention of Lions recruiters ahead of the 2019 draft and are now continuing their connection on Queensland soil.

The pair come from famous West Australian footballing families, but it is across the other side of the country where they are making their mark.

Deven’s uncle is West Coast premiership player and four time All Australian Darren Glass while Prior’s dad Michael, played at Essendon and West Coast and coached at Fremantle.

Robertson, the Club’s first pick in the 2019 draft at No 22, made his debut in Round 1 the following year before spending the rest of the season developing his game in the reserves.

Prior, pick 59 in the same draft, did not get a chance at senior level in year one but has since joined Robertson as a regular as the Lions marched to six consecutive victories.

The boys from the West having been kicking a footy together since U12s, so it’s no surprise they look comfortable on Gabba ground together.

Robertson’s first impression of teammate Prior was memorable to say the least.

“I just remember Jaxon being a little chubby fat kid,” said Robertson.

Prior’s impression of Robertson was surprisingly more heartfelt.

“First time I came across Dev was at state try outs and I remember all the way back then he was one of the best players at the try outs. He was Darren Glass’s nephew, and I was Michael Prior’s son so I felt there was a connection between us straight away,” said Prior.

Screen-Shot-2021-05-26-at-9.20.59-am.jpg

Robertson attributes his newfound confidence to having best mate Prior by his side even as the two made the move to Brisbane.

“Coming up here and moving to a different state and a whole new life, having him here to go on that journey as well really helped me settle down,” said Robertson.

Before the 2019 Draft, Jax and Dev ran football workshops together to pay the bills before securing a spot in the AFL.

Prior said while he didn’t expect it, it was always his hope to be drafted alongside Robertson.

“Clubs would always ask me who I wanted to be drafted with when the drafting process came around. I always said Dev, he’s one of the most professional players out there,” said Prior.

With an average of 14 disposals and 4 tackles, Robertson is filling the void of Brownlow Medalist Lachie Neale who sits out with an injured ankle.

2021 Mid-Season Re-cap

BIG IMPROVERS

Similarly, if you asked a lot of non-hardcore Lions fans about Jaxon Prior at Round 1 this year they might have said “Jaxon who?” Not any more. After making his debut in Round 2 he’s become a similarly valuable role player, averaging 10 possessions and kicking six goals.

2021 Season Review: Robertson & Prior

They played their underage rep footy alongside each other, were drafted to the Lions together and in 2021 Deven Robertson and Jaxon Prior continued their parallel journeys by becoming regulars in Chris Fagan’s senior side.

Prior also became a regular, featuring in 18 games mostly on the wing.

With his penetrating left boot, he quickly caught the eye and in just his third game against Essendon in Rd 5 he booted two goals from his 10 possessions.

His most productive outing of the season came against GWS in Rd 11 where he collected 16 possessions and booted a goal.

He went on to record ten double figure possession games and boot six goals in an encouraging start to his AFL career.

Season Averages

Jaxon Prior

Disposals - 8.9

Handballs - 2.4

Kicks - 6.4

Marks - 2.5

Tackles - 1.3

QScan Injury Update: Joe Sidelined

Jaxon Prior has also escaped serious injury after Sunday night’s clash with Sydney with further assessment confirming a cork to his right knee and that he’ll be available for selection for this weekend’s game against West Coast.

Prior All In With Lions 'Til '24

Exciting young gun Jaxon Prior has signed on with the Brisbane Lions until the end of the 2024 season.

The 21-year-old has been a versatile addition to the Lions side since moving across from WA in 2020 with his ability to be used across half back or on the wing.

Prior featured 12 times for Brisbane in 2022, including their thrilling Elimination Final win over Richmond where he had 12 touches and five marks.

‘Priz’ as he’s known around the Club, caught the eye of the competition in Round 10, kicking a career-high three goals against Hawthorn, highlighted by a launch from the boundary to keep his side in the game.

Brisbane Lions List Manager, Dom Ambrogio, said he’s looking forward to seeing Jaxon continue to develop his skillset at the Club.

“Jaxon is a popular team man amongst the Club who continues to develop in leaps each year. He’s very professional in the way he goes about things, and is on quite the upward trajectory.

We’re looking forward to having him in our group for a few more years.”

On his signing, the youngster said it was an easy decision.

“It’s an amazing feeling to sign on with the Club and it was a very easy decision,” he said.

“The Club took a punt on me late in the draft in 2019 and have got me to where I am today. I love the journey the group is on and to be a part of that for a couple more years is something I’m really looking forward to.”

Prior also applauded the staff and players for their support off-field as well as on.

“The players and staff aren’t only great on-field, they’ve been just as good off-field and have really helped my development as a person.”

And while it was a bittersweet finish to the 2022 season, he says the hunger is as big as it’s ever been heading into the new year.

“It obviously wasn’t the finish we were after, but this group has a hunger about them and there will be younger guys from the draft or players who haven’t had much opportunity come back better next year that will really drive us in our desire next year.

“Personally, I just want to continue to develop as a young leader for the young group of boys coming in.I remember looking up to guys in their third and fourth years when I first arrived at the Club, and to now be entering my fourth year I’m just focussed on growing as a person not only on the field but off it as well.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back