Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because you keep saying this doesn’t actually make it true
The VFL is predominantly a development league full of kids just out of the draft. The SANFL is senior footy. Look at some of the truly crap sides in the VFL, Frankston, Coburg and Preston. You get blokes come back from those sides and struggle to get picked in local seniors.

Can't recall any real dissent on here regarding Rantall's delisting. I don't believe he would ever have become an AFL regular. Certainly there may be players capable of stepping up a level, but we should not let Rantall's good form cast doubts on our decision to cut him loose. Even Carmichael and Johnson are not guaranteed success at this stage of their careers.

I thought he offered more than many on here suggested, was sad to see him depart, but it was the right call.

Thrilled he’s been able to go on with it.

Playing for Footscray VFL this year. Given that we've also had one of the Browns and Poulter at training, we seem to like your delisted guys.

Good acquisition. He seemed to have developed more over at Norwood. Looks physically bigger too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wish him all the best, but very vanilla, always looked a boy amongst men out there.
He clearly has developed physically now after being playing against and with men for the whole season, one of Norwood's most consistent players.

IMO Jay is the pick of the bunch. I was disappointed when he was delisted. Wish him all the best and hope he makes it back on an AFL list.
He will. The kid can play a tagging role well but never got the chance to at Collingwood. We were fixated with playing him on the wing.

He will. The kid can play a tagging role well but never got the chance to at Collingwood. We were fixated with playing him on the wing.
Yeah. I saw him as an inside mid. Clean hands, hard at it and relatively composed given his inexperience at the time. Buckley kept implying he needed more confidence, and others kept carrying on about his disposal by foot being poor, but it IMO his kicking was fine. Slightly awkward looking style, but was effective. I reckon he would have done well under Fly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately there were a few players played out of position in those years, mainly because we were contending and so those midfield positions were sewn up. Sadly it meant some weren't developed or really given a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back