Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

You get that I have access to ropes, bridles and assorted leather gear, along with riding crops, right?

Not to mention the brands...

Oh so you'd rather be broken in the old-fashioned way (none of that horse whispering stuff) first before anything else happens?

Edit: Probably just about time we got back to talking about this frisky young colt we have on our hands in Rantall, rather than making it all about you GH...

Oh so you'd rather be broken in the old-fashioned way (none of that horse whispering stuff) first before anything else happens?
It’s not shackles he likes, it’s Schache he likes.

Must have really rated Rantall then.
Rantall ticked all the Hine boxes:

Basketball background

Limited exposure to elite pathways

Supreme athlete

Poor kick

He probably would have been taken at pick 1 if we had it :drunk:

Basketball background

Supreme athlete

Poor kick

Lucky we got the Goat at our next pick.

Basketball background

Supreme athlete

Poor kick

Not quite all of Hine's criteria, unless I'm missing his name's potential for innuendo.

Supreme athlete

Poor kick

Not another player who can't kick! No more short people or players who cannot dispose of a ball with a high degree of accuracy and style should be our prerequisites to recruiting. Why are we always seeking to repeat the past!?

Not another player who can't kick! No more short people or players who cannot dispose of a ball with a high degree of accuracy and style should be our prerequisites to recruiting. Why are we always seeking to repeat the past!?
I'm starting to think Hine has OCD with the types he picks but hopefully this crop will produce the goods

To be fair, the kids work ethic is second to none and he hasn’t had the years to refine his kicking like others who have been in the system longer. Given a little time in the system there’s a good chance he’ll improve in that area.

To be fair, the kids work ethic is second to none and he hasn’t had the years to refine his kicking like others who have been in the system longer. Given a little time in the system there’s a good chance he’ll improve in that area.
I think he will improve no doubt, hopefully a non conversation by the end of the year.

Tgg you truly have a severe fixation with vertically 'challenged' people don't you?

I was a point guard in state league basketball and at 5 foot 5 inches I was what you would call a 'midget' but you don't make even the state league without good reason.

If you believe bigger means better you are SERIOUSLY deluded.

I'd take an exceptional midget over an exceptionally poor kick.

A kid like Rantall with his limited footy exposure is always going to take time to hone that craft. I think we need to keep the powder dry in the short term, especially given that of the approx 800 players on AFL lists I'd guess there is only a relatively small % of elite ball users by foot, and that many better kicks don't even get drafted because their all-round game doesn't stack up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A kid like Rantall with his limited footy exposure is always going to take time to hone that craft. I think we need to keep the powder dry in the short term, especially given that of the approx 800 players on AFL lists I'd guess there is only a relatively small % of elite ball users by foot, and that many better kicks don't even get drafted because their all-round game doesn't stack up.
He’s not ready made but ant deficiencies can be worked on. I think he has some real promise, hopefully not a conversation at the end of the year. Seems like a hard worker With a great attitude

Last edited:
Tgg you truly have a severe fixation with vertically 'challenged' people don't you?

I was a point guard in state league basketball and at 5 foot 5 inches I was what you would call a 'midget' but you don't make even the state league without good reason.

If you were 6’5 you might have been a boomer. It’s a nice story though.

He's not a newby to the game though. He may have focussed on basketball for a couple of years, but he's he's been kicking a footy from a very young age. His dodgy ball drop is going to be pretty hard to change. I doubt he'll ever be a particularly good kick, but hopefully he can become competent.

I hear that the state league wasn't that strong in the 50's?

A couple of players who were also drafted with question marks over their kicking...

- Chris Judd
- Andrew Swallow

I know there would be plenty of others, but these instantly come to mind...

Unless you kick it like Jason Daniels you’re an outside type footskill is the most irrelevant asset in today’s game. Rantall’s will improve with time in the system, but in the role he plays he’ll be fine. Trigger hands, spatial awareness, lateral movement and spread from the contest are far more valuable for him.

Unless you kick it like Jason Daniels and are an outside type footskill is the most irrelevant asset in today’s game. Rantall’s will improve with time in the system, but in the role he plays he’ll be fine. Trigger hands, spatial awareness, lateral movement and spread from the contest are far more valuable for him.

Looked to have good feel of game with how quick he got his Handballs out in the Highlight Package

Looked to have good feel of game with how quick he got his Handballs out in the Highlight Package

Absolutely. Couple that with his engine and you know that he’ll naturally get to a lot of contests, be able to distribute by hand when he wins it and his skills won’t deteriorate due to fatigue.

He's not a newby to the game though. He may have focussed on basketball for a couple of years, but he's he's been kicking a footy from a very young age. His dodgy ball drop is going to be pretty hard to change. I doubt he'll ever be a particularly good kick, but hopefully he can become competent.

Unless I'm mistaken he's had a few years tied to basketball with zero footy until 2019. They'd be critical development years for draft hopefuls leading into their draft year. I'm happy to give him time and see how that develops and then assess it.

A couple of players who were also drafted with question marks over their kicking...

- Chris Judd
- Andrew Swallow

I know there would be plenty of others, but these instantly come to mind...
Joel Selwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back