Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Im concerned he might end up another WHE, plenty of youth have had break out seasons and not gone on with it. Will see in a few years time i guess.

FWIW on EBnW Pyeman says of Murphy he is a natural forward been pigeon holed into defense by the club/Buckley, reckons he has watched him kick bags of 7 and stuff as a junior with very good fwd craft. Might be worth a look.

Well he was a forward at school!

any chance it was fatigue related?
Going back a while, but from memory he was spraying them early and it was more his action. He may have improved in the last 18 months though.

Well he was a forward at school!
Going back a while, but from memory he was spraying them early and it was more his action. He may have improved in the last 18 months though.

Here's a few of his comments re him.

Date Posted:
16:45 04/08/20 Tue
Author: Pyeman
Author Host/IP: pa49-183-153-83.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au / 49.183.153.83
Subject: There is another. Nafe Murphy kicked bags for Brighton Grammar, saw it with my own eyes
In reply to: Mark W 's message, "3 taels worked a treat against Hawthorn cause Kelly is quick" on 16:03 04/08/20 Tue

And in APS games with flooding it was no mean feet. Seems pigeonholed as a defender, shouldn't be.

Date Posted:
21:30 04/08/20 Tue
Author: Pyeman
Author Host/IP: pa49-184-196-26.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au / 49.184.196.26
Subject: Have no doubt he could make it as a fwd, can take a grab and knows where the goals are, good fwd craft
In reply to: barcode 's message, "Think Murph could make it as a forward Pyeman?" on 20:46 04/08/20 Tue

But with us hasn't had a sniff in the fwd half.

It says a lot about the club and the playing group that whenever I see a player’s thread bumped these days, my first thought is “oh *, what has he done?!”

Fortunately Rantall strikes me as just about the least likely of anyone on our list to transgress...

Does he get a contract for next year? Coach's don't have much faith in him for someone who's physically ready to play.
Given the current coaching Group will most likely all be leaving it might be more a question for the new coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he’ll get his chances this year. Up to him to make the most of them. Played limited footy before his draft year.

Maybe. I wouldnt know. Are you judging this off games you havent seen him play because they didnt happen?
Perhaps it's the fact the games haven't happened even when he has been fit and we have shed senior players like autumn leaves. He is never even in the conversation. Bianco seems unlikely to make it too and I have seen him in action. Too small and injury seems to be crippling his early career. They just seem like the sort of hit and miss players acquired though virtue of a middling draft pick.

Perhaps it's the fact the games haven't happened even when he has been fit and we have shed senior players like autumn leaves. He is never even in the conversation. Bianco seems unlikely to make it too and I have seen him in action. Too small and injury seems to be crippling his early career. They just seem like the sort of hit and miss players acquired though virtue of a middling draft pick.
Bianco was in ripping form in the pre season before his knee issue. Don't worry about his height. Comes in handy when he's hovering it off the carpet and he's got great spatial awareness.

I've still got some hopes for Rantall, but hasn't had a chance in a proper match seeing yet. Bring the real VFL on already FFS! It's been like 19 months!!

I hope we give them an opportunity at AFLlevel before making that call, hell if we can give both the browns and whe jt Blair etc etc a go then these 2 should at least get a look before calling it.

Hopefully the kid gets a run at it. Might however end up a similar story to Matthew Goodyear... a similar draft range, hard running but raw player who was cut after only two seasons at the end of 2016.

With Pendles, Sidebottom, Adams and J Daicos likely to own a midfield spot for a few more years

And Sier, T Brown, McInnes, McRae, Poulter, Murphy, Bianco, Rantall, N Daicos...

there’s just too many pegs and not enough midfield holes to be filled

Remove this Banner Ad

Back