Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps it's the fact the games haven't happened even when he has been fit and we have shed senior players like autumn leaves. He is never even in the conversation. Bianco seems unlikely to make it too and I have seen him in action. Too small and injury seems to be crippling his early career. They just seem like the sort of hit and miss players acquired though virtue of a middling draft pick.

You’re just guessing on both counts off a very limited sample set. I prefer to judge players on how they play in games.... of which neither has played a single “ proper” game yet.

what was the issue in him not playing ?

People just suggesting he won’t make it or get a contract extension beyond this year because he hasn’t debuted as yet.

Perhaps it's the fact the games haven't happened even when he has been fit and we have shed senior players like autumn leaves. He is never even in the conversation. Bianco seems unlikely to make it too and I have seen him in action. Too small and injury seems to be crippling his early career. They just seem like the sort of hit and miss players acquired though virtue of a middling draft pick.

Injury? Hasn’t had anything significant that I can recall. The knee issue this preseason the most significant.

Rantall was a late convert to footy from basketball so could just be he needs time. People going way too early, happy to wait and see what his VFL form delivers.

Until players like Rantall start playing senior footy well never know how good they are. The reality is the current conservative approach at selection is hindering the development of our recent recruits. It was great to play McCreery last night but we need to see him play a block of games together and not be dropped after one game like they did to Keane and Henry. We face years in the wilderness unless we start pumping games into Keane, Henry, Rantall, Bianco, Ruscoe, Poulter, Chugg, McMahon and others.

Until players like Rantall start playing senior footy well never know how good they are. The reality is the current conservative approach at selection is hindering the development of our recent recruits. It was great to play McCreery last night but we need to see him play a block of games together and not be dropped after one game like they did to Keane and Henry. We face years in the wilderness unless we start pumping games into Keane, Henry, Rantall, Bianco, Ruscoe, Poulter, Chugg, McMahon and others.
And if they can't play we need to ruthlessly rid ourselves of them.

I think it’s rare players only get the 1 game on debut. Lynch and Henry the only 1’s I can recall in recent memory and their performances probably merited it. Keane came in as a replacement for Roughy when he missed with concussion, and as we saw, he wasn’t ready. Certainly didn’t do enough to earn another game ahead of Roughy when he was fit to return. Ruscoe got a block of 4 games last year. Kelly got injured but I can’t imagine he’d wouldn’t have had more games if not for that. Tyler Brown got 3 blocks of at least 2 games last year. A2B2 got 3 games. Cameron (while not technically a debutant) got 4 blocks of at least 2 games.

I think it’s rare players only get the 1 game on debut. Lynch and Henry the only 1’s I can recall in recent memory and their performances probably merited it. Keane came in as a replacement for Roughy when he missed with concussion, and as we saw, he wasn’t ready. Certainly didn’t do enough to earn another game ahead of Roughy when he was fit to return. Ruscoe got a block of 4 games last year. Kelly got injured but I can’t imagine he’d wouldn’t have had more games if not for that. Tyler Brown got 3 blocks of at least 2 games last year. A2B2 got 3 games. Cameron (while not technically a debutant) got 4 blocks of at least 2 games.

Two is not really a block.

The club has been culpable in not giving young players an extended stint. They'd rather just dump them quickly. Atu was another... got two games.... was dropped and then with five minutes before the bounce got the call-up for his third...and was never seen again.

This year we've had Henry 1, Ruscoe 2, T Brown 3. Its not good enough.

They need to change that immediately.

And if they can't play we need to ruthlessly rid ourselves of them.
I have little doubt that there will be a new coaching panel at the end of year. Calls on these kids probably won't occur until the end of 2022 - and rightfully so.

Two is not really a block.

The club has been culpable in not giving young players an extended stint. They'd rather just dump them quickly. Atu was another... got two games.... was dropped and then with five minutes before the bounce got the call-up for his third...and was never seen again.

This year we've had Henry 1, Ruscoe 2, T Brown 3. Its not good enough.

They need to change that immediately.

LOL, now 2 isn’t really a block, what next?

Hopefully the kid gets a run at it. Might however end up a similar story to Matthew Goodyear... a similar draft range, hard running but raw player who was cut after only two seasons at the end of 2016.

With Pendles, Sidebottom, Adams and J Daicos likely to own a midfield spot for a few more years

And Sier, T Brown, McInnes, McRae, Poulter, Murphy, Bianco, Rantall, N Daicos...

there’s just too many pegs and not enough midfield holes to be filled

What I seen of Rantall he is better then Goodyear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We weren't conservative last year, pretty much our entire list outside of Rantall Bianco Wilson and Tohill were given games because of the short turnarounds. Why were those 4 the only ones not to play?

We weren't conservative last year, pretty much our entire list outside of Rantall Bianco Wilson and Tohill were given games because of the short turnarounds. Why were those 4 the only ones not to play?

There was no VFL. Pretty tough for two mids to be ready for AFL without playing in any proper games. Pretty tough for an Irish import to show he's ready without playing - same with a basketball convert.

The reality is that none of us know what we've got with those 4.

There was no VFL. Pretty tough for two mids to be ready for AFL without playing in any proper games. Pretty tough for an Irish import to show he's ready without playing - same with a basketball convert.

The reality is that none of us know what we've got with those 4.

There was no VFL for any clubs, let other clubs debuted a lot of 1st year kids, we even gave Ruscoe a game and Keane despite not being ready so that excuse doesn't really work.

Murphy and Rantall are huge concerns at the moment for me. Tohill is an Irish kid who will probably never play but can point to and say we have recruited KPP’s whenever the question comes up at the end of year members meeting. Bianco looks very small and my view was he’d always be a couple years away

LOL, now 2 isn’t really a block, what next?

As a general rule kids should get three or four games on the run to settle in, and Collingwood tends not to allow that.

The only exceptions I see to that recently are Henry who clearly wasnt ready and Keane who was just selected to cover for an absent player.

Cameron, T Brown, and Ruscoe off the top of my head are three players who should have played more games by now. Hopefully McCreery and the players who follow him will change that trend

There was no VFL for any clubs, let other clubs debuted a lot of 1st year kids, we even gave Ruscoe a game and Keane despite not being ready so that excuse doesn't really work.
Of the group of 16 kids who were picked where our kids were picked ( i.e. from pick 40 Rantall to pick 55 Ruscoe) only 2 of them debuted in 2020. Riccardi who is older played 5 games and Ruscoe 4.

Of the group of 16 kids who were picked where our kids were picked ( i.e. from pick 40 Rantall to pick 55 Ruscoe) only 2 of them debuted in 2020. Riccardi who is older played 5 games and Ruscoe 4.

And rather than cherry picking a tiny sample size, how many from the draft overall played games? And if a lot did, then the excuse "there was no VFL" doesn't really work, right?

Rantall has been physically ready since day 1 and we've been forced to play kids who were clearly not ready yet he is still no where near a game, why is that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back