Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's definitely a long way behind Bianco and his kicking action on that shot for goal was not pretty to watch.

I agree he's in that tough spot where he probably needs a run of games and have one or two good ones to get his confidence up a bit, but at the moment he looks well short of the mark.

He's definitely a long way behind Bianco and his kicking action on that shot for goal was not pretty to watch.

I agree he's in that tough spot where he probably needs a run of games and have one or two good ones to get his confidence up a bit, but at the moment he looks well short of the mark.
I thought he choose to centre the footy to the top of the square rather than take a shot on goal, which probably shows a lack of confidence. Was more involved this week, but I'd like to see him used more around the footy instead of forward.

Not sure Jay is going to get there, love his endeavor but, he just looks like a boy amongst men out there most of the time to me.

Would be delighted to see him prove me wrong.

I thought he choose to centre the footy to the top of the square rather than take a shot on goal, which probably shows a lack of confidence. Was more involved this week, but I'd like to see him used more around the footy instead of forward.
Nah he was having a shot, just shanked it.

Not sure Jay is going to get there, love his endeavor but, he just looks like a boy amongst men out there most of the time to me.

Would be delighted to see him prove me wrong.

Weirdly he seems to of lost muscle mass since arriving, Moore is another who has dropped size imo it shows in some of his 1v1s like vs thilthorpe he was out bodied by a first year player in a strength contest.

One thing he does seem to have is good vision, clean hands and is hard at it. I really don’t think we are going to find out much about him at senior level as a forward. I think there was an opportunity to put him in the square at times when sier went down but that chance was given to c brown instead.

If Rantall is to make it it will be as an inside mid with dodgy disposal, he has good hands but like a lot of inside mids their kicking leaves a lot to be desired but it can get better with experience but as I see it he will have quite some competition or a spot.

He just needs time and games to have a chance but if he were to kick a goal or do something really good it would make a world of difference to his confidence.

His kicking is ok, it’s just never going to be Bianco or even Poulter level, and the game hasn’t slowed down for him yet. If he keeps his spot it will be good for him.

His kicking is ok, it’s just never going to be Bianco or even Poulter level, and the game hasn’t slowed down for him yet. If he keeps his spot it will be good for him.
Very important point about the game slowing down when more experienced, players like Pendles have it from day 1 mere mortals have to learn it from experience, I think Bianco is like Pendles in that respect.

Why did we select this guy when Bianco was available. :expressionless: A long way to go get games into the kid will only improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did we select this guy when Bianco was available. :expressionless: A long way to go get games into the kid will only improve.

I think Bianco was injured or returning from injury, when Rantall was selected earlier this season. Bianco only played two VFL games, once he got over his injury, and then straight into the seniors. I’d say the coaches were keen to get Bianco in, but had to wait until they were confident he was ready. They were right. :D

His struggles are a symptom of the senior coach.

Sier goes out of the game at half time which is the perfect opportunity to get him out of the forward line where he was being completely wasted in a role he has zero chance of making it in long term. Instead we replace Sier with a guy that’s having a terrible season who plays almost exclusively as a forward and leave Rantall in the forward half.

To be blunt if he isn’t ready to play through the middle he shouldn’t be playing and whatever it is we’re doing with him currently is killing him. He might not be up to it, but you’ve at least got to give him a fighting chance.

Mayne come straight back in. Rantall is well below competitive at this stage. It only hurts his confidence to persist.
It has me wondering about some people and their knowledge of the game. He's not a forward so expecting him to be impactful as one is ridiculous. He's not competitive because he's in a role he's never played before and worst of all is being forced to do it at senior level. Give him a couple weeks in the midfield what do we really have to lose.

Sier goes out of the game at half time which is the perfect opportunity to get him out of the forward line where he was being completely wasted in a role he has zero chance of making it in long term. Instead we replace Sier with a guy that’s having a terrible season who plays almost exclusively as a forward and leave Rantall in the forward half.

To be blunt if he isn’t ready to play through the middle he shouldn’t be playing and whatever it is we’re doing with him currently is killing him. He might not be up to it, but you’ve at least got to give him a fighting chance.

In terms of development, confidence and belief, I think that it's important that we win some games of footy. Brown in the middle helped us do that. We may have lost with Rantall in there. I think it was a good move.

Plus Rantall would have been prepped for a forward role with some narrow parameters for success. I don't think you're doing him any favours by suddenly throwing him around mid game.

To be fair that guy who is having a terrible season probably had his best performance for the 40-odd percent of game time he was on the ground yesterday and he was just one of the many important but more unnoticed contributors who did things at times without which we wouldn't have won the game.

Agree though that this idea of bringing in kids just to play them entirely out of position is more of an impediment to their development than anything. Some kids are able to function as a forward despite being more suited to a role elsewhere on the ground, but it's a very specific skill set you need to have to have any sort of meaningful impact on the game inside F50 and it's very easy to get lost in there.

The conundrum for us is that we're pretty well stocked down back as well, which is perhaps where someone with Rantall's attributes (pace, agility, a bit more scrappy and hard at it) might feel a bit more comfortable.

Last edited:
To be fair that guy who is having a terrible season probably had his best performance for the 40-odd percent of game time he was on the ground yesterday and he was just one of the many important but more unnoticed contributors who did things at times without which we wouldn't have won the game.

This. Callum cops so much hate on this site it’s important he gets some acknowledgment for being good as well. Second only to Pendles for tackles yesterday from half the game time. We were probably better off with him in there than Sier, tbh.

Went at negative metres gained but 100% for his 8 disposals I believe.... stats probably have that shanked kick down as a pass...

He is a natural extractor and dish off by hand type... so at least play him on the ball for the next few weeks.

Otherwise just drop him and bring McRae in... who probably has a more rounded and better outside game... and therefore is better suited as a ‘plug holes’ player

Went at negative metres gained but 100% for his 8 disposals I believe.... stats probably have that shanked kick down as a pass...

He is a natural extractor and dish off by hand type... so at least play him on the ball for the next few weeks.

Otherwise just drop him and bring McRae in... who probably has a more rounded and better outside game... and therefore is better suited as a ‘plug holes’ player
I think it's a pre season at Maccas for Rantall and a few others, he looked like a little boy out there

Weirdly he seems to of lost muscle mass since arriving, Moore is another who has dropped size imo it shows in some of his 1v1s like vs thilthorpe he was out bodied by a first year player in a strength contest.

The one where Thilthorpe had a clear handful of jumper and it should have been a free to Moore?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back