Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that the lad might have been given a little extra time to develop. This clearly indicates that the CFC have a clear idea on whom they want to recruit in the upcoming draft. They traded in picks for a purpose - they have an idea on what picks will need to be used to pick up Nick Daicos and what will be left (draft position and spots) that can be used. This inspires belief that the powers that be know what they are doing. If, however, they leave a pick in the bank then the kid's delisting will be a more bitter pill for him to swallow.

Dane Swan 2003
3 games 9 disposals

Lets see where he goes
Dane Swan was a good weighted kick and a highly intelligent footballer. This guy isn’t, although he demonstrated all the time he was there that he was prepared to work hard at his game. As with all things in life you’d love to be proved wrong about what you think about a footballer. It’s up Rantall now to prove us all wrong, or accept his fate and maybe go down and play VFL football where he could still have a good career.

Strange that we wouldn't look to rookie him instead of committing to re-rookie Chugg.

Given he played 4 games this year and improved as he went, would've thought he had way more potential than Chugg.

Maybe he’ll go the opposite way and head back to basketball. Wouldn’t mind seeing that tbh.

I often wonder why players who have a choice in sports, end up choosing football. You have one professional league in the world. You either make it in this league, or you're back finding yourself a 9 to 5 job. Not to mention it's an injury prone sport, resulting in more chance of your career being ruined by injury.
If you choose basketball, you can have a career in the US, Australia, Europe or even Asia.

Strange that we wouldn't look to rookie him instead of committing to re-rookie Chugg.

Given he played 4 games this year and improved as he went, would've thought he had way more potential than Chugg.
Chugg was injured part of the year, then wasn’t able to play much VFL footy because most of the season was suspended. Otherwise he probably would have debuted In the senior team. Unlike Rantall Chugg is extremely agile, fast on his feet and a vastly better kick than Rantall. If you have to choose between Rantall and Chugg, Chugg is the obvious choice.

Rantall I am surprised was even drafted after seeing him play a few games personally

I often wonder why players who have a choice in sports, end up choosing football. You have one professional league in the world. You either make it in this league, or you're back finding yourself a 9 to 5 job. Not to mention it's an injury prone sport, resulting in more chance of your career being ruined by injury.
If you choose basketball, you can have a career in the US, Australia, Europe or even Asia.
If you are neither exceptionally tall or exceptionally fast, you won't have any sort of professional career in basketball. That's why so many junior basketballers end up choosing football - also the AFL is a much better earner than the NBL.

If you are neither exceptionally tall or exceptionally fast, you won't have any sort of professional career in basketball. That's why so many junior basketballers end up choosing football - also the AFL is a much better earner than the NBL.

But you can have a longer career with basketball because it's not as brutal on the body. Plus you can play in Europe or other leagues around the world if you want more money. I think if you're over 6ft tall and are any good, you can make it. Jay Rantall is the same height as Patty Mills, not to mention he also represented Australia at under 17s.

But you can have a longer career with basketball because it's not as brutal on the body. Plus you can play in Europe or other leagues around the world if you want more money. I think if you're over 6ft tall and are any good, you can make it. Jay Rantall is the same height as Patty Mills, not to mention he also represented Australia at under 17s.
Patty Mills is exceptionally quick. Randall is slow and would never get a look in at the NBA. There are very good reasons why champion junior basketballers like Pendlebury choose football - he correctly figured out he was too slow to make it
in the NBA as a point guard (and was too short for any other position) and he could earn far more out of football. Heck, even Madgen ended up choosing the AFL despite being a better basketballer. Only a comparative, few blessed (as I said) with exceptional height or speed, can make more out of basketball than football, given the choice - and that's why so many top junior basketballers end up in the AFL - it clearly offers a much better career choice for most.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never saw anything there to persist with, good luck to him

Looked ok on a wing in the ‘20 preseason, however never really had a chance to get going and was played out of position in most of his senior games. Still young enough to give an AFL career a crack even if it involves a year or two in a state league.

Patty Mills is exceptionally quick. Randall is slow and would never get in a look in at the NBA. There are very good reasons why champion junior basketballers like Pendlebury choose football - he correctly figured out he was too slow to make it
in the NBA as a point guard (and was too short for any other position) and he could earn far more out of football. Heck, even Madgen ended up choosing the AFL despite being a better basketballer. Only a comparative, few blessed (as I said) with exceptional height or speed, can make more out of basketball than football, given the choice - and that's why so many top junior basketballers end up in the AFL - it clearly offers a much better career choice for most.
Delly wasn’t that quick

Patty Mills is exceptionally quick. Randall is slow and would never get in a look in at the NBA. There are very good reasons why champion junior basketballers like Pendlebury choose football - he correctly figured out he was too slow to make it

If I was good enough to represent Australia in basketball as a 16 or 17 year old, I'd at least be giving it a crack to make it pro. He's obviously got something going for him in the sport. Anyhow, will be interesting to see what direction he takes now.

The reality for Jay is he has no weapons.
Sure he can win a time trial---but his kicking is poor, he doesn't have any real penetration, no real speed, no real tricks to his game to be able to be impactful.
He really is a limited footballer
Good luck to him but i can see why he was delisted

A touch stiff considering the lack of VFL footy the last two years.... that, and the fact he was always a project player... drafted for his potential, rather than having an already rounded game

Had some good VFL form and in particular a great VFL game vs Werribee this year...

But at senior level he would be behind too many in the pecking order especially now with Lipinski and N Daicos arriving

Good luck to the kid 👍
With this spud gone mark Keane will go hungry

I agree

Baffled as to why re-rookie chugg..

I would rather just a new rookie in general tbh

Rantall I am surprised was even drafted after seeing him play a few games personally
Unlike you I didn’t see him before he was drafted. I watched him the first weeks of training at Holden Center and my impression was similar to yours. I thought he was at most a speculative rookie choice and wondered why Hine called out his name before Bianco. Maybe the club was spooked into believing that one of the other clubs was going to call out Rantall’s name early.

Disappointing for Jay. Think under different circumstances we would have given him more time. But unfortunately with list sizes coming down and us needing to move on players as part of our draft strategy he was an obvious choice, both by his contract status and where he sits compared to others on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back