Recommitted Jay Schulz [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 5, 2008
Katherin
AFL Club
Collingwood
From a 'trade whispers' thread which has all the credibility of something with very little credibility, but this line caught my eye:

"Port spearhead Jay Schulz will likely seek a trade to Fremantle to take up a two-year deal worth about $500,000 a season."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-04/trade-whispers-leuenberger-smith-in-giants-sights

Any ideas? Why? Whats his worth? Would Freo want to replace an aging tall forward with an another aging tall forward?

What will Port do? He is their main tall target.

From a 'trade whispers' thread which has all the credibility of something with very little credibility, but this line caught my eye:

"Port spearhead Jay Schulz will likely seek a trade to Fremantle to take up a two-year deal worth about $500,000 a season."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-04/trade-whispers-leuenberger-smith-in-giants-sights

Any ideas? Why? Whats his worth? Would Freo want to replace an aging tall forward with an another aging tall forward?

What will Port do? He is their main tall target.

Port appears to be signing Dixon, so don't have the cash to keep Schultz as well.

He is better than what we have except Pav, and will give the other guys a few years to develop.

I wouldn't want to offer a lot in terms of draft picks for him, especially as he is being pushed out. 3rd round pick??

Port appears to be signing Dixon, so don't have the cash to keep Schultz as well.

He is better than what we have except Pav, and will give the other guys a few years to develop.

I wouldn't want to offer a lot in terms of draft picks for him, especially as he is being pushed out. 3rd round pick??
Isn't he a free agent? And an unrestricted one at that. Don't need to offer Port anything

So despite the fact that Schulz's name is highlighted in bold in the article linked, the first two posters both spelt his name wrong (in different ways) and the third poster incorrectly said that he's a free agent. Thread going well so far.

So despite the fact that Schulz's name is highlighted in bold in the article linked, the first two posters both spelt his name wrong (in different ways) and the third poster incorrectly said that he's a free agent. Thread going well so far.

Do you spell it with the -enfest on the end????

To be honest, I don't care how his name is spelled, more about where he is going to go. I doubt that I'll change it either. Mainly to annoy you or others like you.

Schulz moved to Port from Richmond in 2009 so hasn't qualified as a free agent at Port.
Apparently Port have offered Schulz two different deals but he has knocked them back, probably because they are nowhere near the $ of the Fremantle deal due to the aforementioned liklihood of Port landing Dixon.
If Pav doesn't go on next year Schulz is another decent target to replace him. Port know that given the relatively young age of our squad that, as much as we'd love to keep Schulz, it's in our best interest to plan forward a few more years than what Schulz can give us.
Makes sense for all parties involved really.

I can't really see Dixon, Lobbe, Ryder and Westhoff all playing in the same team.
Why? Dixon replaces Schulz. Lobbe and Ryder swapping into a forward pocket, and Westhoff spends more time outside of forward 50 these days anyway, even attending a few centre bounces.
Put Lobbe into a centre bounce and have Dixon, Ryder, and Westhoff ready to fly up and take a long bomb inside 50? Seems pretty ideal.

Why? Dixon replaces Schulz. Lobbe and Ryder swapping into a forward pocket, and Westhoff spends more time outside of forward 50 these days anyway, even attending a few centre bounces.
Put Lobbe into a centre bounce and have Dixon, Ryder, and Westhoff ready to fly up and take a long bomb inside 50? Seems pretty ideal.
Well considering Lobbe isn't playing at the moment without Dixon I don't think it will work. Also getting Dixon in to your team kind of gives you your second ruck already so by playing Lobbe as well your team will lose a lot of run.

Well considering Lobbe isn't playing at the moment without Dixon I don't think it will work. Also getting Dixon in to your team kind of gives you your second ruck already so by playing Lobbe as well your team will lose a lot of run.

If we got Dixon he'd be doing next to no ruck work, and basically be a permanent forward.
Lobbe has played a fair bit with Ryder this year. Granted they haven't both dominated together yet but I'm pretty confident that it'll happen soon, especially with the abolishment of the sub rule next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Find it strange that Port fans are happy to dump Shulztz for a young upstart with dodgy ankles after all the hoo ha they created over Bernie Vince's departure.

Port hasn't dumped him have they?

They have made several offers but freo offering more. This isn't a recent occurrence.

Find it strange that Port fans are happy to dump Shulztz for a young upstart with dodgy ankles after all the hoo ha they created over Bernie Vince's departure.

Different circumstances. You punted Vince to get a second round draft pick. If you cant see the difference there, well you know

Wasn't aware Vince was 30, had a declining performance profile, and was asking for a 2 year $500k per year deal even though you had a young gun willing to come in to replace him.

Different circumstances. You punted Vince to get a second round draft pick. If you cant see the difference there, well you know

A second round draft pick that according to S Rowe in a recent rage was obtained to pick brad crouches brother because he would go home otherwise.

Making a lowball offer to Shulz to squeeze him out for a younger player is a pretty ordinary way to treat a good servant of the club. Oh well it's a business now and port are treating itas such so good luck to em. :)

Making a lowball offer to Shulz to squeeze him out for a younger player is a pretty ordinary way to treat a good servant of the club. Oh well it's a business now and port are treating itas such so good luck to em. :)

$400k not that lowball for a 30yo

If Port get Dixon they won't be able to afford Shulz on 400k. That is not the current offer from what I've heard.

So what. It's the offer his manager rejected (or thereabouts) through the start of this year.

We actually don't know when Dixon became an option at port. What we know is last year Jay/his mgr rejected a longer term contract and again this year wanted more money - which is fine.

But how do you know port haven't sat down and come to the conclusion that jays hanging out for 500 but they can get Dixon for a hundred or so more land have him for five years

The timeline of events is critical.

Would think freo would offer their third. And port would knock that back immediately.

That would be pick 55 after compo picks...

That is probably a handful of rookie upgrades and team passes from our fourth round pick.

Wouldn't be worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back