Free Agency Jayden Hunt [Unrestricted Free Agent to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt Melbourne would fight hard to keep Hunt. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him dropped this week in favour of Joel Smith.

Yes Hunt is fast, and has improved his defending. But he is a bit like a shorter Sam Frost in that he is prone to making too many howler errors for a guy with 100 games experience. If he hasn’t got that out of his game by now I doubt he will.

I think his most effective AFL position is as a third or fourth forward which is the role he played in 2019 where he kicked 21.10 and had 18 goal assists in 21 games.

Very good on the lead, a long and straight kick, and his pace can generate some easy over-the-back goals.

I think he'll always have an AFL future because there's only about 5-10 guys in the AFL with his pace. But I agree with his errors. But people said the same thing about Frost but Frost has been great for Hawthorn since moving there and finished quite high in their BnF.

I think he'll always have an AFL future because there's only about 5-10 guys in the AFL with his pace. But I agree with his errors. But people said the same thing about Frost but Frost has been great for Hawthorn since moving there and finished quite high in their BnF.
Frost was always very good defensively though. What is Hunt's 1 wood? Running fast? Not tall, not strong, not a good defender, not good overhead, poor kick, poor decision making.

I doubt Melbourne would fight hard to keep Hunt. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him dropped this week in favour of Joel Smith.

Yes Hunt is fast, and has improved his defending. But he is a bit like a shorter Sam Frost in that he is prone to making too many howler errors for a guy with 100 games experience. If he hasn’t got that out of his game by now I doubt he will.

I think his most effective AFL position is as a third or fourth forward which is the role he played in 2019 where he kicked 21.10 and had 18 goal assists in 21 games.

Very good on the lead, a long and straight kick, and his pace can generate some easy over-the-back goals.

I think a club would do very well re-inventing him into a pressure forward if they get him cheap enough

He's a good defender, pressure player.
He's an average defender and his pressure acts are rated below average. Doesn't intercept, doesn't win his won ball, doesn't use it, below average score involvements, below average rebound 50s. The guy is just no good. And all that while palying in the team with the best defensive structure. Will get found out massively in a poor team.

He's an average defender and his pressure acts are rated below average. Doesn't intercept, doesn't win his won ball, doesn't use it, below average score involvements, below average rebound 50s. The guy is just no good. And all that while palying in the team with the best defensive structure. Will get found out massively in a poor team.
He is an adequate defender in the sense of stopping an opponent, not great, not terrible.

Every Melbourne supporter here has said he’s fast but makes poor decisions and butchers it. Why on earth would you want a player like that getting heaps of the ball - hence his poor stats with ball in hand?

Nobody thinks he’s a great player and I doubt any opposition club targets him as a free agent.

He is an adequate defender in the sense of stopping an opponent, not great, not terrible.

Every Melbourne supporter here has said he’s fast but makes poor decisions and butchers it. Why on earth would you want a player like that getting heaps of the ball - hence his poor stats with ball in hand?

Nobody thinks he’s a great player and I doubt any opposition club targets him as a free agent.
Adequate, average - Same thing isn't it?

You wouldn't. That's why he's probably only playing because you have injuries in your back half and was a regular when you were s**t. Just saying - he has no stand out qualities other than his speed.

His output is fine, he plays his role and has unique attributes which makes him a useful player at AFL level.

He'll never be a star and I doubt another club will pay overs for him. He held his spot for 21 games in a row before injury in a team that finished top of the table. He could play a role at most clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne wouldn't be able to afford to pay him if anyone else wanted him. Better player than he's given credit for but not best 22 at us.

You wouldn't. That's why he's probably only playing because you have injuries in your back half and was a regular when you were s**t.
Played the first 20 games last year, lost his spot to Bowey because of injury and then couldn't unseat him.

His output is fine, he plays his role and has unique attributes which makes him a useful player at AFL level.

He'll never be a star and I doubt another club will pay overs for him. He held his spot for 21 games in a row before injury in a team that finished top of the table. He could play a role at most clubs.
And then was usurped and made to look redundant by a debutant. If another club took him an we got a pick in the 40s I think we'd be laughing

What about when Hibberd and Salem are fit?
Salem is best 22 without question but would push Brayshaw back onto the wing which would push a mid out like Jordon, Harmes or Sparrow.

Three of Hunt, Hibberd, Rivers and Bowey would be in based on matchups and form.

Hibberd is almost certainly done after this season though and he’s already missed a couple of months with a calf which isn’t a good sign for an old player.

Salem is best 22 without question but would push Brayshaw back onto the wing which would push a mid out like Jordon, Harmes or Sparrow.

Three of Hunt, Hibberd, Rivers and Bowey would be in based on matchups and form.

Hibberd is almost certainly done after this season though and he’s already missed a couple of months with a calf which isn’t a good sign for an old player.
Bowey is a moral now every week I love watching him as an opposition fan he is so composed for a 13 game player and his kicking is elite

Bowey is a moral now every week I love watching him as an opposition fan he is so composed for a 13 game player and his kicking is elite
Bowey has been great, but as a 13 game player I’m not confident he won’t lose form at some time.

Can he play through injury niggles?

How will he handle it if the opposition start to put more time into him?

Trent Rivers is an example of a guy who has tailed off this year, potentially due to a knee complaint, but he has still regressed and is bigger physically and more experienced than Bowey.

Back on the topic of Hunt, while he never had the decision making and skill of Bowey (which I think stand Bowey in good stead as he’s unlikely to lose that), Hunt looked like he could be amazing in his first couple of years. Blistering pace, courageous, high marks, goals from the half back flank. And then for whatever reason he just seemed to be lost for a few seasons there. Hunt is a very different player now to what he was or projected to be in 2016-17.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back