Injury Jayden Pitt's Career On Hold - Heart Condition

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks like two doctors have said AFL will seriously risk his health. I wouldn't play on...

He has to just focus on his health.

Look after the bloke but take him off the books and promote a rookie.

Very sad if true. This **** only happens to our players.

One thing that is strange is that his condition must have only surfaced recently as the strict testing at draft camp should've/would've picked up on it.

He has to just focus on his health.

Look after the bloke but take him off the books and promote a rookie.

I agree.

I heard a rumour a couple of weeks ago that a cardiogram had revealed a 1 in 100 chance of keeling over Reggie Lewis style (NBA) (& also that guy in the Premier League).
The article I read today said the medical consultants have recommended immediate retirement - the club are hardly going to overrule that sort of advice.

Feel sorry for him - the club should help him plan a post football career. But if he's no longer part of the club's footy future plans, let's take him off the main squad list & get Menegola in.

(I must admit I'm also quietly happy its Pitt & not someone like Crozier / Neale - Pitt's most notable act since joining Freo was missing his 1st week's training due to sunburnt feet).

So sorry for the guy. Very serious condition.

If his family watches the following video of Fabrice Muamba in the Premier League, they will be telling him its not worth the risk:

Pitt isn't a thug who gets suspended from school and loves punch ups.

My god an 18 year old kid who likes sex and happened to be king hit at a night out, yeah what a thug.

He's a 50 goal a year forward, I'd be more than happy to have a 'thug' at the club if it means having any inclement of serious potential after Pavlich in the KPF stocks. It's a real shame for Pitt having this condition but I'll always stand by my word we made a huge * up in that draft.

Yeah it's now been updated on the dockers webpage, basically just same as above.

Be surprised if he returns to play for Freo but it's a bit early to be giving his spot away on the list as well.

All the best to him whatever happens.

How do you know it's the same condition?

Well Muamba suffered a cardiac arrest there, and there's a very real risk that the same thing could happen to Pitt.

I still remember watching that, gut wrenching. He wanted to return but ended up retiring on the advice of doctors too.

Well Muamba suffered a cardiac arrest there, and there's a very real risk that the same thing could happen to Pitt.

I still remember watching that, gut wrenching. He wanted to return but ended up retiring on the advice of doctors too.

But they never found out the cause of Muamba's problem, which is different isn't it to Pitt where they know what is wrong but can't say if it is fixable?
Or am I misinterpreting what is wrong with Pitt?
I thought some of these conditions could be fixed, but they couldn't fix Muamba cause they never found out why he had a cardiac arrest
Anyway, doesn't sound good for Pitt but he hasn't given up hope

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really feel for the kid and I like his optimism but normal advice is take it easy, maybe go onto aspirin and just do regular but not overly taxing excercise which would bring about undue strain on the heart. Difficult to see how that fits with being an AFL player at the highest level. Ultimately our club doctors would not risk letting a player continue AFL and sometimes things just don't work out - just ask Clem Michael.

Very sad if true. This **** only happens to our players.

One thing that is strange is that his condition must have only surfaced recently as the strict testing at draft camp should've/would've picked up on it.

Why do you you say that it only happen to our players? Things like this happen to all teams for different reasons.

Other teams
Swift - retired to become a doctor
Menzel - 3 knee reco's
Port + Melbourne - Both lost good players who died

It could be a lot worse so there's no need to make out the sky is falling when it's part of footy and happens to all clubs. Too much whinging and we start to sound like Plugger and umpiring. No point worrying about the stuff we can't control.

All the best to Pitt, hopefully the West is wrong as per normal and he comes good.

Really feel sorry for him.
Sounds to me like he has now had 2 doctors opinions and both have advised against playing due to the risk.

Also sounds like Pitt is refusing to accept it and wants to continue trying to live out his dream of playing football.

Tough situation.
His body and mind probably feels in great shape and there is nothing holding him back, if his body couldnt cope it would be much easier to give up.
When its something that doesnt really show up or hold you back its gotta be hard to accept.

Why do you you say that it only happen to our players? Things like this happen to all teams for different reasons.

Other teams
Swift - retired to become a doctor
Menzel - 3 knee reco's
Port + Melbourne - Both lost good players who died

It could be a lot worse so there's no need to make out the sky is falling when it's part of footy and happens to all clubs. Too much whinging and we start to sound like Plugger and umpiring. No point worrying about the stuff we can't control.

All the best to Pitt, hopefully the West is wrong as per normal and he comes good.

I was referring to the fact that our top two draft picks from 09 and 2010 are both in serious doubt to have a successful career.

So wait.

The article itself was factually incorrect and pure speculation.

The kid has come out and said that he is still hopeful of playing footy again. The club has also backed him with this.

But all the Marcus Welby MD's on this board are writing him off?

WTF?

So wait.

The article itself was factually incorrect and pure speculation.

The kid has come out and said that he is still hopeful of playing footy again. The club has also backed him with this.

But all the Marcus Welby MD's on this board are writing him off?

WTF?
As with Abbott leading the way in the opinion polls, people will take whats written in newspapers as gospel.

I was referring to the fact that our top two draft picks from 09 and 2010 are both in serious doubt to have a successful career.

Sorry, didn't pick all that up from "This **** only happens to our players". Anyway, Melbourne have already lost their first two picks from those drafts so we're probably in front of them since both haven't retired yet.

All the best Jayden, the Darling v Pitt debate will never be resolved but all the best in your future endeavours.
Well, more that it will be resolved premature when Pitt retires...

Pitt isn't a thug who gets suspended from school and loves punch ups.
History has proven that those actually do well as forwards...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back