Delisted Jayden Schofield (#955)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jayden Schofield Delisted

I apologise for posting on another's team board, but that is the biggest load of crap I've seen written in an awfully long time.

Don't apologise, you are right, it's a steaming pile of s**t.

Personal issues? why don't they just publicly say whats going on. It would alleviate all the rumors and allegations.

Let's just assume that the club, AFL and the AFLPA did whatever they could in this situation and Jayden can sort himself out and move on.

However, if he goes to West Coast or Freo in the PD would an ugly precedent be set and any young kid who wants to go home follows suit?

Isn't there a social club night next week? You're more than welcome to attend (if you're a social club member) and field your questions there.

It's a real shame I really liked the look of Schofield but if he is suffering from depression . The club has done the right thing by him letting him be close to his family . But you have to wonder how the club let it come to this and why did they sign him to a contract extension just a few weeks back poor management By the footy department.

Come on guys, cool head here, especailly some of the younger posters who haven't experienced much in life.

Not everybody is born the same. People can have difficulties in life. Sounds like Jayden has got in a bad state and needs to be near family and needs the help of qualified people.

Club has done the right thing. Until you witness people who are going through a bad stage or may have troubles dont judge. Cant tell how bad it is from the statment yet good luck to him. More important than playing footy.
Great post. Whatever it is, good luck to the kid. Life goes on. It's only football.

First year draftee isn't exactly cashed up. Better then most 18 year olds but hardly party all day long material.

I doubt at 18 he was paying off a mortgage or his kids school fees, I think I was safe to say he had a handy disposable income..

Homesickness is probably not the reason and its most likely something else thats sensitive and personal. I compare it sort of to when a coach gets sacked and we the supporters dont know the full facts in the sacking.

Schofield was pick 74 in a compromised draft after half a dozen or so of the best 17 year olds went to GC the year before; not really a high draft pick.

I knew he was a pick in the 70's and actually wrote low in first... was a bit tired last night so couldn't figure out if that made him a high or a low draft pick... :p

Hmmmm, so many options to chose from in terms of bandwagons to jump on.

Is he homesick, is he not willing to work hard enough, is he facing some sinister personal issues or is he facing some personal issues that all of us have had to deal with from time to time?

Each to their own, but I'm prepared to admit I'll never know the full story and that it's probably a mix of some or all of the above.

No use berating a fellow board contributor for passing on some information he's been given. Take it with a grain of salt, like everything else you read on this board, or in the conventional media for that matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies, haven't read the whole thread. Might be doubling up.

Just did not have the right attitude from the start, where he wanted to come home to WA only days after getting involved with the club there. Initially homesickness, missing certain people here, also just lacked the commitment to do what was required to sustain a spot on an AFL list. I won't go into any details beyond that.

Has a lot of talent so its disappointing, but there are hundreds of guys in the same position, some are willing to be AFL footballers and some are not. I wouldn't 100% rule him out for the future but at the moment he is not a certainty to be playing football even at WAFL level.

Just did not have the right attitude from the start, where he wanted to come home to WA only days after getting involved with the club there. Initially homesickness, missing certain people here, also just lacked the commitment to do what was required to sustain a spot on an AFL list. I won't go into any details beyond that.

Has a lot of talent so its disappointing, but there are hundreds of guys in the same position, some are willing to be AFL footballers and some are not. I wouldn't 100% rule him out for the future but at the moment he is not a certainty to be playing football even at WAFL level.

Bolded pretty much backs up what I have been told.

The fact is hes gone.How would any of us know whats going on for this young bloke and its none of our buisness.
If it turns out best for him and hes happy good luck to him.

Homesickness is probably not the reason and its most likely something else thats sensitive and personal. I compare it sort of to when a coach gets sacked and we the supporters dont know the full facts in the sacking.

Homesickness also maybe losing your Girlfriend

In his case 4000 km away

Jayden might have some things to blame for in this

But he is barely older than a teenager - and if our player contracts were as tight as they should be - he should forfeit any future salary

Our much older and experienced professional coaches, selectors and welfare personnel - all on the Western Bulldog payroll - are to some extent even if minimal accountable for this

The teenager can not and should not have all the responsibility placed at his feet

We (Western Bulldogs) pay people to provide "checks and balances" to sort this kind of stuff

Maybe it was he (Jayden) is a "rogue" but then again maybe our people failed to do some things

It needs to be investigated and reviewed - and until a finding is made, any posts here supporting or not supporting the club or Jayden are purely speculative.

Sounds like a party line to me. You can't tell me the club would extend his contract to 2013 if this was the case and/or traded him. I believe that something has come to light since his contract negotiations and or trade week. This or an existing issue (not as stated in quoted post) has come to a head that they thought they had under control. Seriously, are we to believe the club is that silly in it's decision making process?
In my opinion there is much more to this but at the end of the day he's gone and there's nothing any speculation will do to change that. Whatever the issue with the kid he almost certainly needs some space and not to read/have be informed 2nd hand about gossip.
I agree that it would be disappointing to see him in another clubs colors next year but seriously doubt that will happen for at least 12 months time if at all.

Not as light hearted as my future post will be hopefully.

As for a replacement, I'd look at Nathan Ablett. He must want another crack as he nominated. Listing him as a rookie will cost us minimal and we know the kid has the ability. It's not as if we're signing on a 3-4 year contract where he could potentially be a list clogger. The question is did he nominate on request from a certain club (Geelong-going back home), (Essendon-re-united with Bomber) or (Doggies- McCartney was assistant at Geelong) as possibilities.

Couldnt agree more. So many s**t comments on this thread. Obviously he has some dramas. Its a real shame he had to go but sure it was a last resort. To whoever above said 'too much time on his hands' is kidding. Most 18 year olds AFL first year players train and sleep and are too exhausted to do much else. Pull your heads in. Carrying on like absolute tossbags when none of us know the facts is embarassing. i wish him well and reserve any judgement when and if the facts come out.

If anyone heard him speak at the season launch you might know what I'm getting at.

If anyone heard him speak at the season launch you might know what I'm getting at.
yeah i know what you mean.... i think...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back