Recommitted Jayden Short signed 5 year deal

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One of the better free agents available, Arguably the best rebounding hbf Atm

I would expect when he signed a few years ago it was for not much and he’d be in line for a fair pay upgrade
25 years old, nice long kick and takes the game on. A lot to like, will have his suitors. I hope NM is one of them.

25 years old, nice long kick and takes the game on. A lot to like, will have his suitors. I hope NM is one of them.
100% throw the cheque book at him and even if he stays like a dusty at least we up the tigers offer and a CCJ leaves instead

time to compensate him for being on likely unders the last few years

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
100% throw the cheque book at him and even if he stays like a dusty at least we up the tigers offer and a CCJ leaves instead

time to compensate him for being on likely unders the last few years
Yeah I can see a club like north coming at him hard. They have cash to burn and that reliable disposal running half back role has been vacant for some time.
Exactly the sort of role player they could entice with an overs contract. This is right in their wheelhouse.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him assume a leadership role this year at the Tigers as they try to appease him for the difference in cash he will be offered by us vs others at the end of the year.

Yeah I can see a club like north coming at him hard. They have cash to burn and that reliable disposal running half back role has been vacant for some time.
Exactly the sort of role player they could entice with an overs contract. This is right in their wheelhouse.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him assume a leadership role this year at the Tigers as they try to appease him for the difference in cash he will be offered by us vs others at the end of the year.
Especially with Maynard signing, think Short would be perfect for us the only other half back flank free agents would be bailey dale or Caleb Daniel

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Considering he a restricted FA I wouldn’t assume he is on that big of unders. Another $100k max is all Richmond would probably need.
I can’t see any club offering him real big money simply because he doesn’t win his own ball, nothing of note defensively or not really an interception player. A great player but not the type you are breaking the bank for imo.

Considering he a restricted FA I wouldn’t assume he is on that big of unders. Another $100k max is all Richmond would probably need.
I can’t see any club offering him real big money simply because he doesn’t win his own ball, nothing of note defensively or not really an interception player. A great player but not the type you are breaking the bank for imo.
he's a back flanker so Carlton would probably offer $800k a year for five years.

Aren’t all players that reach free agency for the first time at year 8 of their career automatically restricted?

After that year it depends on salary

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Aren’t all players that reach free agency for the first time at year 8 of their career automatically restricted?

After 8 seasons they have to be in the top 25% of paid players to be restricted, after 10 years it doesn’t matter they are all un-restricted

Simche

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Arsenal
Short breaks the lines and at his best is one of those 70m players that really sets us up from the back half. I agree that he's probably not the sort of player that clubs will throw big money at and he's owed an increase in his current earnings from Richmond given his output over the period from 18 onwards. I don't think it'll be an issue, either for Jayden or Richmond and reckon this will be sorted pretty early on in the picture.

After 8 seasons they have to be in the top 25% of paid players to be restricted, after 10 years it doesn’t matter they are all un-restricted

Correct, it's if the player is in the top 25% in that year and first time qualifying, restricted.

He could have been paid most of his last contract value in this last year to ensure he is restricted too.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Come on down Carlton

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Carlton are good for free wheeling, attacking half backs. It will be interesting to see where they play Short this year. Could be closer to the wing where his long kicking forward could be quite damaging.

Doesn’t play the hard, gut running and somewhat unheralded position that Hardwick asks of players there though so this would have to come with a slight change of game plan.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Very handy player, but rebounding HBFs are not necessarily the type smart clubs over pay.

Think he's earnt a pay rise with us but we won't offer anything silly, so if another club does then good luck to him.
Will have 135-140 games or so by seasons end as a 2x (and in my opinion 3x) premiership player and a best and fairest winner. You couldn’t fault him for leaving for money not that I think you guys have money issues since your highest earners are closer to the end than the start. Short already is/or is going to be a club lifer whether or not he does go.

Aren’t guys like Riewoldt and Cotchin out of contract? I’m sure they have taken pay cuts already so Richmond could go for players like Tom Lynch but maybe time for a little bit less, again? I think this is what we may have done with Tom Hawkins current contract where we were reluctant to give him a two year deal but assuming he took a little less salary and it was done.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Will have 135-140 games or so by seasons end as a 2x (and in my opinion 3x) premiership player and a best and fairest winner. You couldn’t fault him for leaving for money not that I think you guys have money issues since your highest earners are closer to the end than the start. Short already is/or is going to be a club lifer whether or not he does go.

Aren’t guys like Riewoldt and Cotchin out of contract? I’m sure they have taken pay cuts already so Richmond could go for players like Tom Lynch but maybe time for a little bit less, again? I think this is what we may have done with Tom Hawkins current contract where we were reluctant to give him a two year deal but assuming he took a little less salary and it was done.
Potentially all 3 of Edwards, Cotchin and Riewoldt finish up this year. Maybe 1 or 2 might stretch it out 1 more year, but one of them at keast is going.

There should be some room, but rather spread it to others than Short.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very handy player, but rebounding HBFs are not necessarily the type smart clubs over pay.

Think he's earnt a pay rise with us but we won't offer anything silly, so if another club does then good luck to him.
yeah

very handy but you'd be stupid to pay too much for a half back flanker. Short needs the right structures and defense around him so he can be utilised properly too, which may see him more valuable at Tigerland than at opposing clubs.

Back