2nds Jaymie Graham appointed head coach of East Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Stacking too much inexperience into the coaching group. Not a good idea.
Back in 2015 when Jaymie Graham was the Development Coach he went alright. Think he took on a head coaching role at WAFL level before he was ready. Agree with you however on the too much inexperience in the coaching group, however this may be because of necessity. Haven't heard of many top line coaches lining up for any coaching position. Sumich was interviewed for the midfield role but that was not what he was after so we missed out there. His experience could have come in handy but can't say I'm sorry that he's not coming on board - that would be just going back to the past. Not sure how he and Simmo would have been able to work together also.

If these are the guys Simmo thinks he can trust and help him then i am fine with it.

Experience:

Adam Simpson
Coaching record:
Hawthorn Asst. Coach (Midfield & Forward coach) 2010-2013
West Coast Senior Coach 2014 - Current

Jaymie Graham:

Coaching record:
St Kilda Development Coach 2012-2013
West Coast Development Coach 2014-2015
East Perth Coach 2015
Forward line coach 2016 -

Gavin Bell:

Bell has the lowest playing profile of the Eagles' development team although he did play in a WAFL premiership with West Perth. But he has been in the Eagles' development coaching team since 2008 after a lengthy stint coaching at West Perth. Bell coached the West Perth colts (under-18s) and has a teaching background. He has been the Eagles' head of development since the start of 2014 and has been charged with overseeing the WAFL players on the Eagles list, in particular the first- to third-year players. He also sits on the Eagles match committee. He has a low profile presence at training but works very closely with the WAFL players.

Luke Webster:

Coaching record:

Development coach at Carlton.
VFL coach Northern Blues.
Development coach at WCE 2015 -

Adrian Hickmott

Coaching record:
Shepparton Player Coach 2004-2005
Rumbalara 2006
Gippsland Power 2007
Bendigo Bombers Coach 2008-2009
Essendon Asst. Coach/Development Coach 2010-2011
West Coast Eagles Development Coach (Backs) 2012-
Level 3 coach

Justin Longmuir:

Coaching record:
West Perth Asst. Coach 2009
Fremantle Ruck/Development Coach 2010
West Coast Development Coach (Backline) 2011-2012
West Coast Performance Coach (Forwards) 2013-
Senior Assistant 2016 -

Coaching record:

Dean Cox:

Ruck Coach - 2014-2015
Stoppages Coach - 2015 -

Coaching record:

Mark Nikoski -

Development Coach - 2014-

Coaching record:

Adam Selwood

Coaching record:

Daniel Pratt

Brady Rawlings

Coaching record:
North Melbourne Senior Recruiting and Induction Coach 2012-2013
West Coast Eagles Assistant Coach (Midfield) 2014-2016
List Management 2016 -

John Wardrop

Coaching record:
Richmond Forward Scout 1986-1988
Richmond Football Manager 1989-1990
West Coast Forward Scout 1994-1999
- Premiership 1994
Collingwood Opposition Analyst 2000-2007
Hawthorn Assistant Coach/Oposition Analyst 2008-
- Premierships 2008, 2013

Left out Hickmott who is our defensive coach

Doing a good job too and one that Barrass credited his some of his development to

That said we still need a midfield coach and I'll be dismayed of that's a promotion from within - need someone from elsewhere to help build new ideas
Why not promote him to defensive coach? Mayhap bring Glassy in as defence coach?

Why not promote him to defensive coach? Mayhap bring Glassy in as defence coach?
Tried to get my head around this

Settled on your suggestion being to promote hickmott to midfield coach and appoint glass as defensive line coach

Don't have an issue with promoting hickmott but I'm a bit of if its not broke don't fix it so I'd rather leave him where he's doing well

Not sure if glass has any genuine coaching aspirations.

Wasn't this guy mean't to be Jesus?
I think that's GAJ mate.
cool-cartoon-4829521.png

Tried to get my head around this

Settled on your suggestion being to promote hickmott to midfield coach and appoint glass as defensive line coach

Don't have an issue with promoting hickmott but I'm a bit of if its not broke don't fix it so I'd rather leave him where he's doing well

Not sure if glass has any genuine coaching aspirations.
Yes, meant midfield coach for Hickmott. He's done an awesome job down back, I'd back him to make some positive impact on the mids.

Like Suma coaching mids?
Was Suma midfield coach in the premiership days?

Those lads could have coached themselves. My memory could be wrong though.

It's also why I'm concerned about Longy becoming senior assistant - wouldn't be hard in his previous forward role with the talent he's had available. Great bloke though.

It's also why I'm concerned about Longy becoming senior assistant - wouldn't be hard in his previous forward role with the talent he's had available. Great bloke though.

Coached forwards, then mids, then forwards. I'm pretty sure he was mids coach during 05/06. The way the backs play, they look well coached. I'd like to see that with our mids.

Our forward line functioned pretty well for the most part and we were one of the best sides in the comp for converting inside 50's to goals so he must have been doing something right even if he did have talent to work with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else think the lack fire in the belly of our players is related to the long list of nice guys on our coaching panel?

Does anyone else think the lack fire in the belly of our players is related to the long list of nice guys on our coaching panel?
More to do with the clubs focus on recruiting good citizens

Nothing against the players individually but the guys we've recruited have all been types that you could take home to grandma. Very few players with genuine mongrel

We would have to almost have the lowest profile coaching group in the league. We take in blokes as development coaches thinking they could be alright and then they get promoted apparently with ease, ie Longmuir promoted to senior assistant. Maybe they deserve it but we dont seem to get rid of many and they just stay and get promoted which is a bit concerning.

We would have to almost have the lowest profile coaching group in the league. We take in blokes as development coaches thinking they could be alright and then they get promoted apparently with ease, ie Longmuir promoted to senior assistant. Maybe they deserve it but we dont seem to get rid of many and they just stay and get promoted which is a bit concerning.
Not disagreeing with you TOA, just a question, interested in opinions because I wouldn't know...has Longmuir been a good forward coach and why or why not should he be promoted? Honest question, not tkp. I certainly agree that coaches at any level at our club have to perform or GTFO. An interesting one is Coxy's role, love the guy and that's been done too many times on this board for me to add anything useful

Bit harsh on longmuir. Been at the club 6 years and is one of not very many in the league that has done the level 4 coaching accreditation

And for a list that is widely acknowledged as having an, at best, mediocre midfield they've done pretty well to put together back to back 16 win seasons and make a GF

I wasnt having a dig a Longmuir, it was just an example. Point I was making was that nearly all of our coaches have been promoted from within ie from development roles to line coach roles. We like to promote from within but sometimes I get concerned we value familiarity and continuity rather than chasing other options - in particular with a view to quality established coaches with new ideas into the club.

I wasnt having a dig a Longmuir, it was just an example. Point I was making was that nearly all of our coaches have been promoted from within ie from development roles to line coach roles. We like to promote from within but sometimes I get concerned we value familiarity and continuity rather than chasing other options - in particular with a view to quality established coaches with new ideas into the club.
I get what you're saying and agree to an extent but not completely

The appointment of the midfield coach to replace Rawlings will be telling. My view is that it's imperative that we find someone from outside the club so that new ideas are brought in like you say

It will be disappointing if we fill that spot from within - that would definitely validate the concerns you've raised

I get what you're saying, every position needs to accountable and if not performing bye, bye..it should be that ruthless IMHO.
Apart from Coxy, Hickmott is on my mind, because the backs have performed extremely well, (particular reference to 2015 when major heat would've been on after Ezy/Brown gone down), so I don't get why there would be resistance to having him as midfield coach..unless he's just defence, no idea etc....if he has a clue, go midfield

Now we need to replace East Perth's coach. I'd like us to get someone more senior who also plays a big part with the 1's, essentially becoming the #2 coach at the club and Simmos right hand man.
If that happens is think we'd be the only club in the league with that setup

Clubs don't have a reserves coach that have any substantial input with the senior side as they're busy taking care of the ressies

Luke Webster sounds like the favourite if you believe thewest especially being a former EP player too .

Also was the head coach of the Northern Bull Ants from 2013 - 2015. So he has some experience as a head coach unlike Graham so i would be happy with this choice.

Interesting stat. From 2009 - 2015 the head coach from the Northern Bullants has been a WCE assistant at some point. Teague, Darren Harris & Webster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back