Traded Jed Anderson [traded w/ picks 38 and 40 to NM for picks 15 and 54]

Remove this Banner Ad

No offence but those probabilities are a bit of an ass pull. No-one knows how this draft will effectively play out. You also neglect to mention that North have actually managed to move up the draft, pick 54 has become pick 38, meaning that, well, according to your probabilities, they've doubled their chances of getting a good player.

Whether it's 54 or 38 is irrelevant for Hawthorn because we will use it to upgrade a rookie.

FWIW I think the Hawks have done well. As usual.

I don't believe Jed was worth a first rounder, even with the later pick swaps.

Seems like a Michael Voss type trade scenario.

Spot on, disappointed we lost him but can't begrudge him for seeking more opportunities. Long bow but we have converted Stephen Gilham to Jed to a 1st round pick, can't complain too much.

Actually I was thinking the same thing. Not such a long bow. However, you'll want to use that pick 15 very wisely not to have seller's remorse.

FWIW I think the Hawks have done well. As usual.

I don't believe Jed was worth a first rounder, even with the later pick swaps.

Seems like a Michael Voss type trade scenario.

Do people really care how you feel? More importantly being a North fan I'm happy, isn't that more important? Could go further and suggest you'd have no idea about what "x" player is worth or his comparable value associated with a trade.

Do people really care how you feel? More importantly being a North fan I'm happy, isn't that more important? Could go further and suggest you'd have no idea about what "x" player is worth or his comparable value associated with a trade.

I guess we can agree that your opinion is of zero value to me, as mine us to you.

I can only assume that you are bitter that your club has targeted so many players this trade period and only Anderson showed any interest.

Good deal for both clubs. Very happy to have Jed, there is a risk with recruiting him but the potential reward is worth it.

Hawthorn reconfirm they are the best at the trade table, they just make things happen.
Totally agree here. Happy to get a guy who's been on a list for a a few years, played regular VFL footy and has played pretty solidly at AFL level. He's obviously has a bit to improve on has he's still quite young, but I'd take him over any kid we may have picked up with 15 to be honest.

He's also come out of a very good system which hopefully assists in a smooth transition.

Totally agree here. Happy to get a guy who's been on a list for a a few years, played regular VFL footy and has played pretty solidly at AFL level. He's obviously has a bit to improve on has he's still quite young, but I'd take him over any kid we may have picked up with 15 to be honest.

He's also come out of a very good system which hopefully assists in a smooth transition.
Solid at AFL level?

How does a player with slightly inferior stats to Darren Minchington (of all players) attain a first rounder (regardless of what goes the other way)???

The Hawks did bloody well here. Poor trade from the Kangas

Neither did Majak Daw at times...

Majak's still learning. And the fact that he was playing as almost a sole forward didn't help. He wasn't really ready. Really needs to work on his body-on-body marking as he gets nudged under the ball to easily. Looks very good on the lead, but needs more strings in his bow. He definitely needs more ruck time and might get some with the abolition of the sub rule. Just have to wait and see. Still a lot of improvement there.

How does a player with slightly inferior stats to Darren Minchington (of all players) attain a first rounder (regardless of what goes the other way)???

Hawks have done well here. No disputing that. Just saying I'd take Anderson over an unknown kid in the draft. But that personal preference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't criticize a trade and then decide some parts of it are "regardless". The trade is what it is.

North got a player they wanted, for an exchange of picks they are comfortable will still get them draftees they are keen on - paid a slight premium because he was contracted and others were interested, but that's basic to the economics of player trading.

And, as always, we won't know for ages who did better out of the deal. If Hawks get Carlisle and he gets back in form - or if they use pick 15 on a future star (even though there's absolutely no guarantee North would have picked the same player) - then they win. If Anderson gives North more pace and skill around the contest that we lack, and it improves out team, then North wins. Maybe they both win. or maybe they both lose.

Majak's still learning. And the fact that he was playing as almost a sole forward didn't help. He wasn't really ready. Really needs to work on his body-on-body marking as he gets nudged under the ball to easily. Looks very good on the lead, but needs more strings in his bow. He definitely needs more ruck time and might get some with the abolition of the sub rule. Just have to wait and see. Still a lot of improvement there.

Hawks have done well here. No disputing that. Just saying I'd take Anderson over an unknown kid in the draft. But that personal preference.

North's recruiters preference too, and they know who they want to draft, so it's not just you.

Fantastic trading by the Roos and Hawks. I'm really sad to see Anderson go, he is gutsy, aggressive and good skills. Shame he hasn't yet developed a tank to play in the midfield because he would be a tremenduous clearance player. As it is he is a pretty good forward and easily in NM best 22. Unfortunately our forward line is a little to crowded for him. I'm not so disapointed with losing the 2nd rounders, probably of more value to North than us anyway.

If we can package 15 and 18 for a lower pick with one of the academy teams it would be another win/win trade.

Nicely done Roos, you have got yourselves a quality young player.

And Jordan Lewis.

We never had pick #7.

North gave up pick 10 & 26 (ended up being Chris Egan and Matt Little) for Thompson.

Hawthorn on traded pick 10 and 37 to Collingwood for pick 7 (Lewis) and Bo Nixon.

Collingwood got absolutely smashed in hindsight as they then traded 37 for Chad Morrison and West Coast selected Mark LeCras.

Last edited:
We never had pick #7.

North gave up pick 10 & 26 (ended up being Chris Egan and Matt Little) for Thompson.

Hawthorn on traded pick 10 and 37 to Collingwood for pick 7 (Lewis) and Bo Nixon.

Collingwood got absolutely smashed in hindsight as they then traded 37 for Chad Morrison and West Coast selected Mark LeCras.

I know we didn't, but you've included Bo Nixon to make a point so may as well include the other player they got in that deal.

I know we didn't, but you've included Bo Nixon to make a point so may as well include the other player they got in that deal.

I actually included Nixon initially as I remembered he was part of the deal that year, not to make a point.

Hawthorn did well in the end yes, but that can't really be attributed to North, Thompson won his club's goal kicking in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, he was well worth the trade.

I think most people including recruiters are still wondering what the hell Collingwood were thinking downgrading 7 for 10 & 37, today that trade would be laughed at.

Spot on, disappointed we lost him but can't begrudge him for seeking more opportunities. Long bow but we have converted Stephen Gilham to Jed to a 1st round pick, can't complain too much.
Technically Steve gilham + suckling (was a rookie I think) + late 2nd rounder for pick 15

Yeah, Max Bailey, Bo Nixon and Matt Little.

Three names Hawks fans won't forget in a hurry.

If anything, Jon Hay had a better career at North than 2 of those had at Hawthorn.

Bailey will always be remembered as the guy who never, ever gave up.

There is a reason why the Tigers recruited him as a ruck coach. He is the perfect example of persistence being rewarded.

I guess we can agree that your opinion is of zero value to me, as mine us to you.

I can only assume that you are bitter that your club has targeted so many players this trade period and only Anderson showed

Don't assume , you're no closer to the mark than you were with your ordinal comment regarding Anderson.

I actually included Nixon initially as I remembered he was part of the deal that year, not to make a point.

Hawthorn did well in the end yes, but that can't really be attributed to North, Thompson won his club's goal kicking in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, he was well worth the trade.

I think most people including recruiters are still wondering what the hell Collingwood were thinking downgrading 7 for 10 & 37, today that trade would be laughed at.

Today half of Bigfooty would be adding up the points and thinking that's a great trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back