Toast Jed Bews - 100 games

Jed Bews, father & son selection taken at pick 86 back in 2011 will line up for game 100 in our qualifying final versus Port

It took until his 3rd season to debut and it wasn't until 2017 that he cemented his spot in the back 6. And while he's been known as a lockdown defender, over the course of this season's he's enjoyed been given more freedom to play further upfield

He's also showing a positive attitude during the difficulties of this year and appears to have adapted well to life in the football hub
“I have just sort of accepted that there is going to be a lot of things going on, not stressed about anything and just gone out and had fun because at the end of the day it’s a game, it’s fun and we are lucky to be playing.

“So, I have just tried to enjoy the whole experience which I honestly have, it has been really good fun and my footy is going alright which makes it a little bit better.”

Fyre

Team Captain
May 24, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
To be honest, I would have sold him for a bag of chips anytime during his first 50 games. Never thought he would make it. But I was wrong and he has turned into an important part of our backline. I've thought this year that he has improved again and becoming more attacking which has added another element to his game.

Its a maasive win to get Jedda with 100 games. Not just the FS aspect, but the knock when he was taken was that he had no tank. He had to work really hard over several seasons to build it - and quite frankly has taken a lot of s**t here - some warranted - but most not - and has busted his arse to become a good small defender for us. Has taken probably more small forward scalps than he has given up.

Not every player is gonna be a gun - and Jed is no gun - but he's there every week and does his gig to the best of himself and has earned it.
Credit to him for persistence and the cliub for patience. Good on you Son of Rat.

Congrats

Go Catters

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Enormous respect for bewsy.

In the shadow of his old man, got shat on from pillar to post around these parts.

Is now our go to lockdown defender on the best smalls, and has some serious pace coming off the half back line.

Can bob up and kick a goal too once in a while which is always a good thing. (Kolo needs to get some lessons from Mackie on how to do that)

I love this story from when Bews was drafted - he hasn't reached the 100 games as easily as some of our other f&s selections, but he's gone on to make his own name across his career

Bews, 17, the son of club great Andrew, is determined to make his own name in the AFL. So much so he turned down Mathew Stokes' offer to hand him his father's old No. 27 jumper.

Stokes made Bews the offer at a training camp at Falls Creek last month.

''[Stokes] pulled me aside and said, 'If you want it, it's yours'. I said, 'Nah, it's all right. It's your premiership jumper; it means more to you'," Bews said yesterday.

''It was tempting, but at the same time I'd prefer to have my own number than my father's. I thought I would get a new number and hopefully make it my own.''

And the humility he showed as a 17yr old, he's still showing now with his comments about how he's approached this season

1600923875596.jpeg

Photo is from 2011 - what a bunch of fresh faced recruits

I love this story from when Bews was drafted - he hasn't reached the 100 games as easily as some of our other f&s selections, but he's gone on to make his own name across his career

And the humility he showed as a 17yr old, he's still showing now with his comments about how he's approached this season

View attachment 969628

So I recognise Bews, Murdoch* and McCarthy. Who are the other 2?

* it is Murdoch? 2nd from right

Hamling and Kersten?
I still feel Hamling was one that got away, that we never tried out properly. He was always quick, lean and tall, and a great mark, but we were so talented in defence, he never really had a chance.

Last edited:

View attachment 969628

Linc looks p'd off that he doesn't have a prop?

Its a maasive win to get Jedda with 100 games. Not just the FS aspect, but the knock when he was taken was that he had no tank. He had to work really hard over several seasons to build it - and quite frankly has taken a lot of sh*t here - some warranted - but most not - and has busted his arse to become a good small defender for us. Has taken probably more small forward scalps than he has given up.

Not every player is gonna be a gun - and Jed is no gun - but he's there every week and does his gig to the best of himself and has earned it.
Credit to him for persistence and the cliub for patience. Good on you Son of Rat.

Congrats

Go Catters
Nice comments. I must say though, I think he is a gun, not just the son of a gun, but a critical player in our defence, and I really believe he always showed this, but for whatever reason, he seems to have been maligned. Am glad that is now past history.

Bews Murdoch McCarthy handling and SK. Bews is our sole survivor from that draft (admittedly McCarthy and hamling and Murdoch are on other lists now).

Aug 24, 2015
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Liverpool
My favourite player at the club, had an off night tonight and is down on form, but he'll bounce back.

Has a great ability to lockdown smalls, a role he hasn't played much of this season. Nonetheless has improved his game with the contributions he's making offensively.

Not a night to remember but super happy to see another father son make it to 100.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I like the boy. Always have.

He seems to attract more of the venom from Cats fans than I would have expected, and I'm always curious about why.

He ain't no Andrew McLeod or even David Wojo, but he's an honest player who brings energy and commitment every week from my perspective.

Fluffs up disposal too much to ever be an elite player, but his stuff ups are rarely as costly has the "Clanger Brothers" Henry and Kolo.

Well done son

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Does anyone have Bews' signature?
FIL recieved his signed jumper from the club and is bizarrely suspicious about it. Would love to compare one but cant find any images

Does anyone have Bews' signature?
FIL recieved his signed jumper from the club and is bizarrely suspicious about it. Would love to compare one but cant find any images

I have a full team signed jumper from a few years ago - I'll try to find it and locate Bews signature

without the numbers you would have no hope. Do you have a ref sheet with a list of the names... in couple of years time ..one will be thinking who was 12 ?

Thankfully I know this one is from 2017 (confirmed on the COA) and got it ahead of our Prelim Final that year, so that helps date it in terms of names - probably should create a team sheet from that year, something which I hadn't previously done but will do (just found a list on draft guru so will go from that)

So many of them it is a case of working out the number to work out the name, though I swear one of the numbers is 71 and I'm pretty confident we never had a #71

Just wish a few more were like the guy wearing #44 which is by far the easiest signature to read

1620027887816.png

Last edited:
Back