Opinion Jed Bews

Remove this Banner Ad

but he is in a group of players who are in the delist mix.

Yeah I'd say this is the group that 'might' be in their last year.

1. Mitch Brown 2014
9. James Kelly 2014
10. Menzel, Daniel 2014
12. Jesse Stringer 2014
15. Jordan Schroder 2014
18. Josh Cowan 2014
19. Taylor Hunt 2014
24. Jed Bews 2014
25. Jared Rivers 2014
34. Josh Walker 2014
36. Bradley Hartman 2014
38. Jackson Sheringham 2014
44. Corey Enright 2014

Big group. Up to a half of them might go.

1. Mitch Brown 2014
9. James Kelly 2014
10. Menzel, Daniel 2014
12. Jesse Stringer 2014
15. Jordan Schroder 2014
18. Josh Cowan 2014
19. Taylor Hunt 2014
24. Jed Bews 2014
25. Jared Rivers 2014
34. Josh Walker 2014
36. Bradley Hartman 2014
44. Corey Enright 2014

I'm presuming Hunt is out of contract at the end of this season. I'll be surprised if he goes to be honest. The others look about right (for a whole host of different reasons).

1. Mitch Brown 2014
9. James Kelly 2014
10. Menzel, Daniel 2014
12. Jesse Stringer 2014
15. Jordan Schroder 2014
18. Josh Cowan 2014
19. Taylor Hunt 2014
24. Jed Bews 2014
25. Jared Rivers 2014
34. Josh Walker 2014
36. Bradley Hartman 2014
44. Corey Enright 2014

Based on the fact you used "might" anything is possible so it could happen.

Boris was quoted the other day saying" he is enjoying footy still, wants more hardware and will go to the body says enough. Would not put a time limit on it, but said it could be a little while yet as he feels very very good and is doing well.

Id be VERY happy with 2014 an 2015 from him.

GO Catters

Yeah they are just the guys out of contract. There's actually a couple more that I left out like Murdoch.
I can't see hunt going either. But the way the team is changing so quickly he could easily be spat out in the wash for a draft pick improvement or something.

In the interests of fairness these guys are also out of contract, but I couldn't see any of them being a chance of going.

6.Lincoln McCarthy 2014
16. Dawson Simpson 2014
21. Jordan Murdoch 2014
28. Allen Christensen 2014
29. Cameron Guthrie 2014
30. Nathan Vardy 2014
31. George Burbury 2014
37. Michael Luxford 2014
39. Shane Kersten 2014
40. Jackson Thurlow 2014
41. James Toohey 2014
42. Nick Bourke 2014
43. Zac Bates 2014
45. Joel Hamling 2014
46. Mark Blicavs 2014

In the interests of fairness these guys are also out of contract, but I couldn't see any of them being a chance of going.

6.Lincoln McCarthy 2014
16. Dawson Simpson 2014
21. Jordan Murdoch 2014
29. Cameron Guthrie 2014

30. Nathan Vardy 2014
31. George Burbury 2014
37. Michael Luxford 2014
39. Shane Kersten 2014
40. Jackson Thurlow 2014
41. James Toohey 2014
42. Nick Bourke 2014
43. Zac Bates 2014

45. Joel Hamling 2014
46. Mark Blicavs 2014
Lock these guns up before mid year. That's four future All Australians who are required players.

6.Lincoln McCarthy 2014
16. Dawson Simpson 2014
21. Jordan Murdoch 2014
29. Cameron Guthrie 2014
30. Nathan Vardy 2014
31. George Burbury 2014
37. Michael Luxford 2014
39. Shane Kersten 2014
40. Jackson Thurlow 2014
41. James Toohey 2014
42. Nick Bourke 2014
43. Zac Bates 2014

45. Joel Hamling 2014
46. Mark Blicavs 2014
Reckon Kersten might, depending on how the season plays out.

Would be amazed. And a bit shattered.

Would be amazed. And a bit shattered.
I should clarify I think he might request out - doubt the club would give him the flick. But only signing for one year was a bit strange, I thought.

If Mitch Brown breaks out in 2014, at the beginning of 2015 Kersten would be fourth in line for a spot as a key forward behind Hawkins, Brown and Vardy. Playing as a small/mid sized forward he'd be behind Meznel, Murdoch and potentially Johnson.

Kersten is definitely a young man with confidence, which is great, and I don't think he wants to spend that much more time in the VFL. If he doesn't get many games this year, and has an injury free run, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he sought a trade.

If Mitch Brown breaks out in 2014, at the beginning of 2015 Kersten would be fourth in line for a spot as a key forward behind Hawkins, Brown and Vardy. Playing as a small/mid sized forward he'd be behind Meznel, Murdoch and potentially Johnson.

Kersten is definitely a young man with confidence, which is great, and I don't think he wants to spend that much more time in the VFL. If he doesn't get many games this year, and has an injury free run, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he sought a trade.

Problem is he's injured right now, so he can't really be complaining just yet.

Problem is he's injured right now, so he shouldn't really be complaining just yet.
Doesn't mean he isn't. We don't know how he feels about the club, or whether his manager is receiving calls from other clubs promising him a spot in the best 22. There are certainly teams with weak forwardlines he could walk straight into, and if he can't do that at Geelong he may entertain a move.

Right. That's it. I'm putting my foot down! :D

No talk of Kersten being traded is allowed until October.
He's had 3 consecutive years of injuries.

He's played 37 games in total over that time and kicked 105 goals.

Leave him alone. All of you! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't mean he isn't. We don't know how he feels about the club, or whether his manager is receiving calls from other clubs promising him a spot in the best 22. There are certainly teams with weak forwardlines he could walk straight into, and if he can't do that at Geelong he may entertain a move.

I would have the same thoughts on Kersten as I do on every other player on our list.

If this is true (and it's merely conjecture I'm assuming), we've been told for 7 years - and supporters on here trumpet it proudly again and again - that we only recruit people of CHARACTER. If a player demanded a game or to be given more of a go, or threatened to leave, then the solution is simple. The door's over there, don't let your arse hit it.

Simple.

Right. That's it. I'm putting my foot down! :D

No talk of Kersten being traded is allowed until October.
He's had 3 consecutive years of injuries.

He's played 37 games in total over that time and kicked 105 goals.

Leave him alone. All of you! :D

I would have the same thoughts on Kersten as I do on every other player on our list.

If this is true (and it's merely conjecture I'm assuming), we've been told for 7 years - and supporters on here trumpet it proudly again and again - that we only recruit people of CHARACTER. If a player demanded a game or to be given more of a go, or threatened to leave, then the solution is simple. The door's over there, don't let your arse hit it.

Simple.
Let me be clear, I don't want him to be traded. I hope to see him have a role in the team, when Menzel becomes a midfielder ideally. But the fact is we have a whole bunch of players looking for key position spots in the AFL team, they won't be satisfied playing VFL, but there are only so many spots available. If Brown, Menzel, Vardy, Hawkins and Johnson are all fit then Kersten may be struggling for a place.
This is 100% conjecture, but clubs like Carlton and the Bulldogs are crying out for a decent forward, and would be stupid not to put offers to Kersten. When he receives those offers he has a choice; battle for a spot at Geelong, where if you cement yourself in the side you've got a very good chance of winning a flag; or go to a s**t club where you'll play AFL every week, guaranteed, but most likely wallow in the bottom eight for your entire career. I know I'd choose to stay at Geelong, and I'd hope Kersten would make the same decision.

Actually just one more thing (sorry I forgot).

Any team who thinks a guy who has played ZERO senior games walks into their best 22 at senior level is dreaming. Does he walk into GWS alongside Cameron or Patton or Boyd? Doubtful.

Promising player? Absolutely. Guaranteed superstar? No way. Not yet.

Yeah I know where you're coming from Morts.
But some other mongrel will get on here and take the whole idea for a run.

Then we'll have 6 months of Kersten trades :)

Let me be clear, I don't want him to be traded. I hope to see him have a role in the team, when Menzel becomes a midfielder ideally. But the fact is we have a whole bunch of players looking for key position spots in the AFL team, they won't be satisfied playing VFL, but there are only so many spots available. If Brown, Menzel, Vardy, Hawkins and Johnson are all fit then Kersten may be struggling for a place.

When do you think that will happen?

When do you think that will happen?
As soon as he's fit. He started as a forward, then was given games down back. He reads the play so well, is a beautiful kick, the kid just screams class, and every time you see him speak he shows an enormous amount of maturity.
If he reaches the required fitness level he'll become a midfielder, I'm confident of this in the same way that I am confident that Guthrie can become a midfielder. The only barrier is his horror run of injuries.

As soon as he's fit. He started as a forward, then was given games down back. He reads the play so well, is a beautiful kick, the kid just screams class, and every time you see him speak he shows an enormous amount of maturity.
If he reaches the required fitness level he'll become a midfielder, I'm confident of this in the same way that I am confident that Guthrie can become a midfielder. The only barrier is his horror run of injuries.

He's got to get back onto the park, before I get all excited about him playing midfield, I think.
Gee, this thread has turned to doom and gloom. Season 2014 hasn't even begun and we're starting to stress about players leaving or being traded through lack of opportunity at the end of the year! We will no doubt have several LTILs each year, as we have had in the past- that will keep a few players happy at the expense of others because it means they'll get their chance. If they don't take it and they stay in the VFL, then they have two choices- stay or walk. If they choose to walk, the club will help them to their destination. If they do manage to seize the opportunity, then the player they replaced will have to fight his way back onto the team. By that stage, we will have more retirements and injuries and so the circle turns.I think I'd better stay out of this thread from here- it just makes my head spin at all the 'what might happens' and then I worry all year.

I should clarify I think he might request out - doubt the club would give him the flick. But only signing for one year was a bit strange, I thought.

I think the one year was based on opportunity. He might not be in such a hurry to leave if he can't get healthy. Im a big fan and think he will be very very good but he MUST get fit and out on the park. Once there, the rest will take care of itself…

GO Catters

I think the one year was based on opportunity. He might not be in such a hurry to leave if he can't get healthy. Im a big fan and think he will be very very good but he MUST get fit and out on the park. Once there, the rest will take care of itself…

GO Catters
Daz, getting this thread back on track, what do you and your epic VFL tapes think of Bewsy?

I think he will make it. He has gotten much stronger and he's a pretty good user of the ball. Not sure where he snagged 3 from last week but glad he did.

just needs to stay for and get a some fitness consistency which seems to be happening for him.

Has a good sniff for a goal too….

Would dope he cracks a debut this year….

Go Catters

Not strange to my thoughts , it was as you indicate don eto keep his options open. If the Cats ignore him and let him sit in the VFL week after week Id say he will be out of here. But if he is injured (again) or if plays AFL , Im yet to be convinced his future is fixed.

Not strange to my thoughts , it was as you indicate don eto keep his options open. If the Cats ignore him and let him sit in the VFL week after week Id say he will be out of here. But if he is injured (again) or if plays AFL , Im yet to be convinced his future is fixed.

Yeah, unless he was exaggerating about the connection, Kersten was saying at the end of the year that Geelong is as much a home to him as WA, with regards to family and everything. As long as he gets a fair crack and a fair contract offer and neither WA team absolutely blows us out of the water with an offer to him. Can't see West Coast really being desperate for him (or, for that matter, being able to offer him a better chance at seniors than us, with Darling and Kennedy there for the foreseeable future). With Fremantle's structure (and Gumbleton's history), a shift to the Dockers may be a possibility, but presumably they'd be after someone a bit bigger to straighten them up.

Like you said, if he has a decent year here, I think he'll stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back