Toast Jed Bews

Remove this Banner Ad

That small defender's gig is a tough one to perform and Bews has overcome a number of limitations in his time on the list in order finally to claim the role for himself.
His abilities to keep his feet and to find a target by foot have improved enormously, and he took a while to develop the kinda stamina necessary to compete fully at AFL level. Always had good pace, decent leap for his height and is as tough as they come, so he had a bit to work with.
My personal opinion on him has vacillated over the years, but it was maybe in between the 2015-16 seasons that I started to think that he'd be the best man for the job, despite some undoubted teething problems.
Full credit to him for the hard work he has done to transform himself into a comfortable best-22 selection.

Has improved as much as any in recent years. Credit to him. Always regarded Lonergan as a massive improver. From mediocre swingman to a backman that we just chalked down for a victory every week. Bews isn't far from that now. We love our father sons too!

Pickers is his manager.. and knowing Pickers with Bews improvement he is upping the $$ amount.

And im not suggesting that Bewsy has not earned an increase -and a good one at that - but knowing Pickers im sure that increase will more than cover another house reno at casa de Pickering and that is probably slowing it down.

Go Catters

While Jed absolutely deserves a new deal and a good increase in $$ -hell i'll throw in $$ to keep him - Pickering is his manager. So while I am entirely comfortable in getting him re-signed, I know that Pickering, based in Jed's last 2 months, will go much bigger than he's worth.

Id expect some back and forth before its done - but id expect it done. Might be more than the GFC had originally tabled but not what Pickers is shooting for either.

Go Catters

Hmmm.... spoke to Jeds good mate last weekend and he didn't mention anything about a lowball offer, and we did discuss his contract.
Maybe he just didn't know...
I'd ******* hope not. I'd be pissed enough if Menzel gets the squeeze but to let Bews go also....
The shark is sitting in the water, ramp at the ready. Don't do it Geelong, do not do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not happy with the way this is sounding.
Bews is a gun.
Finally getting consistent game time
Don't listen to the scribes.

While Jed absolutely deserves a new deal and a good increase in $$ -hell i'll throw in $$ to keep him - Pickering is his manager. So while I am entirely comfortable in getting him re-signed, I know that Pickering, based in Jed's last 2 months, will go much bigger than he's worth.

Id expect some back and forth before its done - but id expect it done. Might be more than the GFC had originally tabled but not what Pickers is shooting for either.

Go Catters

Pickering should cut Geelong some slack for the number he did on us when Ablett went to GC. He should forgo some of his cut so that GA can slide easily into our cap AND allow Bews an extra quid or two.

Pickering should cut Geelong some slack for the number he did on us when Ablett went to GC. He should forgo some of his cut so that GA can slide easily into our cap AND allow Bews an extra quid or two.
What reason does he have to do that, though? He has no reason to want to see the club do well. It's in his best interest to get his players the best deal possible. Him screwing the club over once wouldn't deter him from doing it again; the opposite would be true.

For one. How would 'forgoing his cut' help our salary cap?
Secondly. Let's say it's a 500k deal. The manager gets 20k. Company tax 6500. Wow that 13,500 will do a lot :rolleyes:

What reason does he have to do that, though? He has no reason to want to see the club do well. It's in his best interest to get his players the best deal possible. Him screwing the club over once wouldn't deter him from doing it again; the opposite would be true.
Funny enough, I went to a breakfast and sat across the table from him. He's still a Geelong supporter, believe it or not. Maybe he might try to make amends for Ablett to Gold Coast?

Yeah right lol

Yep, can easily see a player manager sacrificing some of their commission. It's not like they're motivated by money or anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back