Toast Jed Bews

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon he's 3rd fastest behind Cocky & Danger :thumbsu: Bewsy's development along with Stewart & Tuohy coming in has improved our defence so much this year! Absolute lock in our side now, I'm excited to see how he goes against Greene & Smith on the weekend!
I believe Stanley is actually the fastest but pace only gets you so far

He is not the most polished player going around, but he is pretty tight as a defender. He can still work on his offensive game, but it is improving.

I'd say he is best 22, but he is only just ahead of Ruggles IMO.

Glad to see Bews getting some kudos

Has performed good lock down jobs in past years and was one of the better players in the Swans final last year, but I think he is now getting more confident about proactively using his other pace and kicking (which is actually pretty high quality albeit with the occasional clanger).

Has taken him a while to build a tank and I think this has hindered him a little.

Hope he becomes permanent 22 as I think he is the type you need to win finals - quick, big bodied, can hit hard/likes the close-in stuff and has good kicking skills. Would like to see the occasional stint in the middle to see what physical pressure he could bring.

He is not the most polished player going around, but he is pretty tight as a defender. He can still work on his offensive game, but it is improving.

I'd say he is best 22, but he is only just ahead of Ruggles IMO.
Surely he is miles ahead of Ruggles. He has performed better defensively and doesn't shank every second disposal.

I would have thought Stanley has explosive pace. I have seen him on occasion really launch from a stand. He doesn't use it nearly enough.

You could well be right (I am no bio mechanics expert thats for sure) but I have always been disappointed with his inability to shake off a defender when leading, unless he has lots of room to run into. Thats one of his failings as a CHF over the years IMO.

In the 2009 GF sprint

you can see Stanley v S. Hill at the start. Hill explodes out of the blocks while Stanley is in the bunch. Then Stanley shows his elite top end pace - to win comfortably. Stanley does look explosive but he has a high knee lift on game days and takes a while to get traction. A good example of that was the great centre bounce clearance V Freo last week. I watched it closely on replay and while it was exciting the big leg pumps were operating. He did find himself in lots of space when he got the ball and could get clear.

Jed Bews missed the start in his GF sprint

its not until he is underway you see him pull through the field. He has top end speed and needs space to use it I reckon.

I guess I am trying to differentiate between quick off the mark and top end speed.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...s/news-story/754cac93a8077f6c928f2100cc248f19
Bews is one of the best one-one-one defenders in the league, losing just 9.1 per cent of those contests since he came into the side in Round 6.
Devon Smith? Just four touches in his 40 minute battle with Bews.

Orazio Fantasia? Mark LeCras? Three touches each. No goals.

In fact, the underrated Geelong defender has conceded just six goals from eight direct match ups since earning a recall into Geelong’s team in Round 6.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...s/news-story/754cac93a8077f6c928f2100cc248f19

Reckon he's 3rd fastest behind Cocky & Danger :thumbsu: Bewsy's development along with Stewart & Tuohy coming in has improved our defence so much this year! Absolute lock in our side now, I'm excited to see how he goes against Greene & Smith on the weekend!
I could be wrong but I think Jed could of been No1 for agility in his draft year.
Wouldn't have been many players running around who are as quick and agile yet are as big & strong as Bews.
Perfect small defender or forward. Hell even midfielder.

Needs to use his pace and back himself. He's the second fastest player at the club behind Danger ffs. Definately maturing and like someone else said in the autopsy thread if we keep putting him in and out of the team then he should go to a club that pays more respect. Big fan. :thumbsu:
Menzel is the quickest player at the club according to recent statistics.

Taylor a close second.

Also I've been critical on how we've developed players under Scott, but with Bews the club has developed him really nicely.
Left him in the one position and have given him time to learn dour defending. Then after a while have given him extra attacking KPI's to work on every week.
You could literally see over the last couple of years every time you saw him in the VFL he'd just have an extra little bow to his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very happy that Bews has come on so well this year. I was a big fan of his old man and we've been needing small defenders for a couple of years. He tried to take the game on from an early stage. And now we can see with the right work and coaching other aspects have come into place.
Not every player is going to become Dangerfield. But we need players to play a number of roles. I think Bews' development shows why Ruggles should be given more patience. I like the aggression and hardness he brings. And he and Stewart have great timing for spoiling. The club has done a great job to find depth across the list. Down back it looked thin after the veterans.
Now Bews, Stewart, Kolo and Ruggles are all capable although not without flaws of playing goood senior football. Tuohy and Hendo mature recruits slotted in very well. And the veterans are playing well. With Gardner in the vfl with potential.

I'm very happy that Bews has come on so well this year. I was a big fan of his old man and we've been needing small defenders for a couple of years. He tried to take the game on from an early stage. And now we can see with the right work and coaching other aspects have come into place.
Not every player is going to become Dangerfield. But we need players to play a number of roles. I think Bews' development shows why Ruggles should be given more patience. I like the aggression and hardness he brings. And he and Stewart have great timing for spoiling. The club has done a great job to find depth across the list. Down back it looked thin after the veterans.
Now Bews, Stewart, Kolo and Ruggles are all capable although not without flaws of playing goood senior football. Tuohy and Hendo mature recruits slotted in very well. And the veterans are playing well. With Gardner in the vfl with potential.

And Thurlow still to come back into form and fitness.

How good was he last night!

That attack on the ball and goal was brilliant - just brilliant.

So pleased to see him playing this way. Im sure he will have dips and peaks but im seriously enjoying the peaks right now and long may they and he continue.

And its all from hard work- really hard work - and its a credit to him. No gifted games and nothing granted easily. Luv that.

Well done Bewsy!!!

Would expect a contract deal for him done soon. Make it so Wellsy.

GO Catters

About time he was given a solid run. Come through the hard way. Looks like a confidence player so needed some time to feel comfortable.
Just think how good he would be by now if he'd washed the coaches cars with Murdoch...

And its all from hard work- really hard work - and its a credit to him. No gifted games and nothing granted easily. Luv that.

I seem to remember Bomber Thompson having issues with one Paul Chapman early in his career. Anger issues were messing with his game and his training, understandable though they were given the circumstances at the time around his brother's death. Bomber wouldn't gift him games. 'Punished' him in the magoos for a long time. Chappy responded to that with some true grit.

Like with Jordan Murdoch, persistence CAN pay off. Us fans need to learn a little patience sometimes.

Like with Jordan Murdoch, persistence CAN pay off. Us fans need to learn a little patience sometimes.

Agree with this. Particularly players with elite speed in first 5 -20 metres with good size and some reasonable to good foot skills. These qualities are the essential ingrediants of the ideal player in the modern era. You should persist with them, work on their tank and knowledge.

The key for these types is getting the right attitude and building confidence. I get a sense that both Murdoch and Bews finally have confidence in their value and what they can bring in direct pressure. Hopefully it continues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back