Past Jeff Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Eat sh*t Harvey!

2mq27ut.png

What a tackle!

Garlett's new goal
''It's good to have the contract all done. To have it for another three years gives me a good opportunity to make something good happen here,'' said Garlett, who has spent brief stints higher up the ground this year.

''I love the forward line and I'd love to stay there, but I'm also trying to change my game up. I need to probably start to get up on a wing or make myself more of a midfielder, just to mix it up and have the knowledge in me so that when they need me there I naturally know what to do.

''To have the opportunity to spend more time in there would be good, but I've got to get used to different opposition, the bodies, and just getting first hands to the ball - and endurance, I have to get my endurance up and be able to run games out better, just like all the midfielders do.''
Garlett's new goal

LOL at your avatar, location etc.

Great news in that article would be handy to have him rotating through there with his pace and skills when the ball hits the deck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jeffy.png

Jeff garlett and Chris Yarran at West Adelaide Oval prior to the Port Adelaide Clash

#39 - Jeffrey Garlett
Recruited from: Swan Districts (WAFL)
Games Played: 76
Goals Kicked: 128

2012 Statistics (from Superfooty)

Kicks: 195
Tackles: 72
Goals: 29
Behinds: 27
Score Assists: 38
Handballs: 69
Disposals: 264
Disposal Efficiency: 64%
Contested Possessions: 118
Uncontested Possessions: 148
Time on ground: 84% (22 matches)
Supercoach ranking: 135th (1609 pts)

The Story so far:

Jeff Garlett spent some time playing for his local club Burracoppin, but in 2007 began playing for Swan Districts. Essentially homeless and hungry, the club sent him to live with the parents of West Coast player Andrew Embley and with the Captain of Swan Districts. After 21 games with Swan Districts, Garlett was taken at pick 6 in the 2009 Rookie Draft, and was later elevated to the senior list to replace the injured Robert Warnock.

"I gave him the spiel about the club and the importance of knuckling down and biding your time to earn elevation to the senior list later in the season. He said to me, 'Oh no, I'll play Round 1, don't worry about that'. I said to him, 'You've got to be elevated prior to Round 1', and he said, 'I will'. And he was."

- Carlton Recruiting Manager, Shane Rogers.

He would finish sixth in the 2010 Rising Star Award after being nominated for a 6 goal haul against Essendon in round 19, 2010.

2009 Goals: 12
2010 Goals: 37
2011 Goals: 50
2012 Goals: 29

The 2012 Season

2012 would prove to be a frustrating season for Garlett, but while not as influential as he was in 2011, he was still able to effect games kicking 29 goals from 22 possible games, and effecting 38 scoring assists. He remained a ferocious tackler, frequently chasing down running opponents, and ending the season with 72 tackles.

2012 was characterised by Garlett playing much further up the field that in previous seasons, and it was not unsual to see the speedster running in off halfback toward goal including a memorable run from the wing against Collingwood that resulted in him kicking a goal.

"They wont catch him now"
- Bruce Macaveney, Channel 7

He was one of the few senior Blues players to escape the season uninjured playing all 22 matches and it could be argued that his wavering form at times was often in line with the teams bewildering 2012 form.

The Future

2013 poses its own challenges with a new coach and new coaching philosophy likely to impact the teams playstyle, and by association Garletts role in the side. Malthouse is however unlikely to forget just how devastating his run and instincts are at the scoring end of the ground having been on the recieving end of the display in times past.

In his fourth year at Carlton, the club and no doubt Garlett himself, will expect big things from the man who kicked 50 goals for the season in 2011, and let himself down slightly in 2012. However with a bit of help from the likes of Betts and Walker, and the Garlett will again light up the Blues forward line in 2013.

References:

One week at a time for Jeffy

Carlton's Jeff Garlett says discipline was the key to winning Friday night's close clash with the Kangaroos.

Garlett finished with four goals in the nail-biting one-point win.

One week at a time for Jeffy

Not sure how much discipline had to do with it and I must say it was lucky to come away from that game with the 4 points. Should have won comfortably and to let North Melbourne back in the game as we did was a worry.

Jeffy has continued his resurgence after a quiet month and is back on track for a career best season. Beautiful to watch in full flight and you can't help but marvel at some of the talent he has up his sleeve.

Big congrats to Jeff on his 100th game this week. I know he has a lot of good memories playing against Richmond and hopefully tomorrow will be another one. 1st player wearing 38 to get his name on the locker and hopefully he announces himself as one of the best small forwards in the league over the next couple of years, starting with this one!!! Once again congrats to Jeff and good luck mate!

Still love Jeffy's response to Rogers statement that he had to earn a game...

Jeff’s ton to round out Carlton’s “Top 40”
“I remember picking him up at the airport when he flew in from Perth for the first time,” Rogers recalled, in a previous interview with this reporter.

“I gave him the spiel about the club, and the importance of knuckling down and biding his time to earn elevation to the senior list later in the season. But he said to me; ‘Oh no, I’ll play round one, don’t worry about that’. So I said to him; ‘You’ve got to be elevated prior to round one,’ and he said, ‘I will be,’ and he was.”
Jeff’s ton to round out Carlton’s “Top 40”

CFC TV: Garlett - 100 Games

CFC TV: Garlett - 100 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back