Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

The new group, Hawks for Change, is separate to the push for board spots by outgoing Australian Super boss Ian Silk and Hawthorn premiership player Andy Gowers.

Hawks for Change has backers among the club’s coterie groups, with triple premiership player James Morrissey fronting the campaign.

Morrissey has been an outspoken critic of Kennett, claiming he had too much control, and previously calling for him to step aside.

“All I ask of members is to reflect on the decisions that have been made and how the club has been run,” he told News Corp.

“In my mind, too many recent club decisions have strayed from Hawthorn’s core values. I want to see a Hawthorn that is community focused once again.”

........................ If there wasn't any due dilligence by the board members to bring Alistair back in and grill him on his views of why we haven't been successful in recent years and what he intended to do about it should he continue beyond 2022 then they ALL need to go.

Alistair is gone, I've accepted it. Sam now has my support (and it seems the senior players too), but my view from afar is our board was hand-picked by Jeff for unity over good governance. 'It's Time' for some independant and critical thinkers on the Hawthorn board.

This would have happened every year for the last 5.
I simply don't understand supporters who think this was a sudden onset of geez what's happening and what do we do? It's just ridiculous.
You think Clarko got on a plane to convince Sam to come back to the HFC, and do so a year early and break his contract at WC Eagles, because Hawthorn management couldn't think of another assistant coach in the land to make up numbers?

Mate, the plan has been in place since the second we chose to try bring Sam back.
The only thing that changed was that we had to move faster than we originally planned because the Club didn't want Mitchell at Collingwood and ruin said plan.

He might be - isn't he always banging on about serving your length of service then moving on? "Good governance".
He’s already served it twice. He’s still there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a president acting in the best interests of the club, who is in his last 12 months, and is faced with a credible and non confrontational alternative would look for a smooth handover to them or an alternative safe pair of hands. Jeff won’t.

A few comments about Jeff Kennett and the current board.

1 Jeff has become a daily disaster and must go ASAP to save the club further embarrassment. His handling of the Clarkson exit was an utter debacle and his interference with football matters in the last week, severely undermining the good work our coach and footy department were trying to do, was totally inappropriate and turned our club into a laughing stock (not that it wasn’t already a laughing stock before then).

2 Kennett has the same personality traits as Donald Trump. He activates his mouth before his brain, is obsessed with being the centre of all attention and with being the focus of all news about Hawthorn. He is utterly desperate to be the spokesman about everything even when it undermines our club and embarrasses our coach and administrators. I still haven’t got over the sheer stupidity and arrogance of Kennett’s curse which caused so much grief against Geelong for a number of years.

3. Remember what he announced to the crowded AGM when he was first elected president? He said verbatim (primarily as a dig at the outgoing president Ian Dicker) - “After tonight you won’t hear from me. If it’s football related, you’ll hear from the coach. If it’s club related, you’ll hear from the CEO”. Many of you will recall those exact words. Since then, he basically hasn‘t been able to shut his mouth. In fact he’s revelled in the spotlight and making headlines. Worse, he‘s managed during that time to consistently cause false media headlines which have embarrassed the club and caused coaches and administrators to revert to damage control to try and undo the damage that has resulted.

4. As for the board. What can you say about a board that collectively agrees to quit if all or any of them are asked to by president Jeff? That’s the agreement that Kennett arrogantly insisted from each board member in 2018 and, unbelievably, the undertaking that each board member gave him. If you don’t believe that (and admittedly it’s hard to believe at first blush) just google the Age article of 9 Feb 2018. What does that say about the independence or quality of the current board members or their ability to represent the club’s interest in a strong independent manner or to stand up to the president when they think he’s overstepping the mark, as he’s done consistently in recent years. Put another way, name one public company or major sporting organisation in Australia that has a board that is so sycophantic and so servile that each director has agreed to resign his or her board position if told to do so by the president or chair.

5. Someone mentioned the board voting a no confidence motion against Kennett. Well .. err.. apart from the fact that any board member is obliged to resign when asked to do so by Kennett, most of those board members were seconded to the board by Kennett in the first place!
Good luck with the no confidence motion.

6. So put all that together and what do we have - a president who is basically unmanageable and a servile ineffectual board underneath him. It’s no wonder that sensible intelligent professional people like Ian Silk, Andy Gowers and James Morrissey are coming forward and
saying enough‘s enough.

Personally, I hope to hell that this leads to a major shakeup, starting at the top, with the support of rank and file members. As a long time member, I’ve had more than enough of the embarrassment that president Jeff has caused our club over the last several years, and the complete lack of proper corporate governance.

Last edited:
We need regular fans on the board that can't be bought. Just some people want the best for the club they love, and have some basic governance training and experience.

The Ian Silk team and the James Morrissey team need to come together as 1 as a united group and challenge

They’d win in a canter

A clarifying point: H4C are not standing candidates in their own right.

They might properly be understood as a “movement” that supports the candidacy of Silk and Gowers which is marshalling resources for that purpose.

In that sense their goals are very much aligned even if H4C isn’t a formal campaign vehicle as such.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back