Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree, main problem is Tasmania's economy has been on the rocks for some time now. Despite recent stimulus measures Tassie has the smallest population growth, highest unemployment rate, weakest retail spending and the lowest construction and new housing industry in Australia. I visited my home state earlier this year and have never seen so many 2nd hand shops, Chicken Feed, Vinnes etc. appearing around Hobart. If it wasn't for tourism and to a lesser extent a few nich export commodities, Tassie would be a ghost town!
Accordingly while local footy people are passionate about having their own team, unless Tassie find a billionaire sponsor the financial risk of such a venture will simply not be accepted by the non-football public...

That’s the problem with tassie (it’s my old home state too.) there is nothing down there, to sustain population. A vast majority are your old retirees, to get a job, it is who you know, not what you know. There is nothing going for it financially. Then there is the North vs south war, or cascade vs boags debate(spell check for boags was bongs! Also appropriate!) Tasmania really needs industries that will attract new families into the state.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's several bloody good steak Restaurants!

And plenty of Wineries within a 20 minute drive.

NFI if we've got anything else here, that's about all i care about tbh! :)

Always preferred out of Launceston, the pub in the paddock near Derby, heading towards cascade falls is a great little place.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Dont forget the NW! Plenty of guns from there like Richo and Col Robertson.

Col was from Wynyard and was the first Tasmanian to win a North Smith medal (1983). I got to know him quite well during my two pre-seasons
with the Hawks in the early 80's and I can assure you he could of been an absolute superstar of the game but he just wasn't that motivated, lets just say he preferred an active social life...

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Col was from Wynyard and was the first Tasmanian to win a North Smith medal (1983). I got to know him quite well during my two pre-seasons
with the Hawks in the early 80's and I can assure you he could of been an absolute superstar of the game but he just wasn't that motivated, lets just say he preferred an active social life...
Col Robertson had the best left handed hand pass I’ve ever seen

Colin Robertson is an all time Hawthorn great. He not only won the Norm Smith in 1983, he ran near Timmeh Watson during the game and caused him to faint in fear.

Isn't he working as a wharfie somewhere in Tassie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this a trick question?
23: Scott, Peck, Brereton, Franklin, Fletcher.
27: Parkin, Simmonds, Barker, de Wolde, Gilham

All good

upload_2018-7-25_19-6-41.jpeg

the best 23

8c6f0ec36b1d848dd97bfed3be79d143

The best of the lot . . . . . . . . . ?

He saved our club

:hearts: you Don Scott

President Jeff Kennett has penned the following letter to Hawthorn members...

Hi Happy Hawkers.

Well a lot has happened since I last wrote. I apologise for the delay.

Firstly, thank you to those who responded to my letter and those who renewed their membership with the club.

Your commitment saw us reach our 80,000-member target, which is an extraordinary effort and yet another membership record for the club. My sincere thanks to all, and our membership department who work so hard on the club’s behalf.

We finished second behind Richmond, who exceeded just over 100,000 members. They became the first AFL club ever to do so, so we congratulate Richmond. Having won the premiership last year, Tiger supporters whose memberships had lapsed came out of the wood work and roared. Great effort.

Our second-place effort is still a fantastic result. We will need everyone’s support next year to break our record for a 13th consecutive year. Again, my thanks.

In the meantime, we members are being well and truly rewarded for our support of the club.

The last two weeks have produced two wonderful games against Essendon and Geelong. Even better results! Both tough, but both exciting games with tight finishes. Just the sort of hard games you need as we enter the pointy end of the season.

It is always good to beat Essendon, and our captain of the 2004 “Line in the Sand” match, Richie Vandenberg, is a valued member of our current Board and is our Director of Football. He works very closely with Alastair Clarkson and Graham Wright. A very formidable and experienced trio.

Our clash with Geelong, again in the tradition of all games we play against them, was a great match. Geelong powered home strongly in the last quarter, however we managed to hold firm. Our defence was wonderful to watch, as was our endeavour throughout the game.

Former Coach Alan Jeans who strongly believed “if you win the tackles, you will win the game” would have been proud of the boy’s effort. In the end an 11-point victory to Hawthorn. A big margin when you consider previous games between the two clubs.

Now with two weeks of home and away games left, against St Kilda at Etihad and finally Sydney in Sydney, our future is in our own hands!

It is exciting. Our more senior players are stepping up to the plate, and our newer arrivals and younger players are hungry to prove themselves and win their first premiership. All in all, a good combination.

But one game at a time, and the way this competition is finishing there could be surprises in store for all.

I should also report our VFLW team is having a wonderful year. A very big win on Sunday against the Bulldogs, with the team finishing up 54-point victors. With 74 points on the board, it was the highest score the girls have kicked. Currently they are sitting 4rd on the VFLW ladder. They have two games to play, the first being next week against the Northern Territory in Darwin. So, let’s hope they keep marching into finals territory.

Our VFL team are currently in 5th position, and despite having lost to Werribee on the weekend they too are in contention for finals.

So hopefully three teams out of three will have the opportunity to play finals and fight for the rewards that they all seek.

It sure is going to be a busy time as we come to the pointy end of the year.

On a different matter. Many of you will remember seeing Hawthorn play in what looked like a white jumper as our away outfit. Never again. White is the colour of surrender and at Hawthorn we never surrender. We might get beaten but we fight every match out to the final siren. That strip has been consigned to the waste paper bin forever.

Let’s face it brown and gold does not conflict with any other colours, so we will wear it proudly every game but one.

The only exception will be the jumper we wear for the Indigenous round, which will be a special design, recognising the importance we attach to the 16 Indigenous players who have so far represented Hawthorn.

Finally, work is continuing on the final designs for the Kennedy Community Centre. We hope to have those completed by end of the year.

We also hope to “cap” the site this year. This is where we create several test sites to establish any movement in the ground before we proceed to construct hopefully in early 2020.

So, a lot happening. Remember the name we have given this five-year period within our overall 2050 strategy? Dare to be Different! We are daring right now.

Stay well, stay Hawthorn and stay brown and gold.

Jeff Kennett

President

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
President Jeff Kennett has penned the following letter to Hawthorn members...

Hi Happy Hawkers.

Well a lot has happened since I last wrote. I apologise for the delay.

Firstly, thank you to those who responded to my letter and those who renewed their membership with the club.

Your commitment saw us reach our 80,000-member target, which is an extraordinary effort and yet another membership record for the club. My sincere thanks to all, and our membership department who work so hard on the club’s behalf.

We finished second behind Richmond, who exceeded just over 100,000 members. They became the first AFL club ever to do so, so we congratulate Richmond. Having won the premiership last year, Tiger supporters whose memberships had lapsed came out of the wood work and roared. Great effort.

Our second-place effort is still a fantastic result. We will need everyone’s support next year to break our record for a 13th consecutive year. Again, my thanks.

In the meantime, we members are being well and truly rewarded for our support of the club.

The last two weeks have produced two wonderful games against Essendon and Geelong. Even better results! Both tough, but both exciting games with tight finishes. Just the sort of hard games you need as we enter the pointy end of the season.

It is always good to beat Essendon, and our captain of the 2004 “Line in the Sand” match, Richie Vandenberg, is a valued member of our current Board and is our Director of Football. He works very closely with Alastair Clarkson and Graham Wright. A very formidable and experienced trio.

Our clash with Geelong, again in the tradition of all games we play against them, was a great match. Geelong powered home strongly in the last quarter, however we managed to hold firm. Our defence was wonderful to watch, as was our endeavour throughout the game.

Former Coach Alan Jeans who strongly believed “if you win the tackles, you will win the game” would have been proud of the boy’s effort. In the end an 11-point victory to Hawthorn. A big margin when you consider previous games between the two clubs.

Now with two weeks of home and away games left, against St Kilda at Etihad and finally Sydney in Sydney, our future is in our own hands!

It is exciting. Our more senior players are stepping up to the plate, and our newer arrivals and younger players are hungry to prove themselves and win their first premiership. All in all, a good combination.

But one game at a time, and the way this competition is finishing there could be surprises in store for all.

I should also report our VFLW team is having a wonderful year. A very big win on Sunday against the Bulldogs, with the team finishing up 54-point victors. With 74 points on the board, it was the highest score the girls have kicked. Currently they are sitting 4rd on the VFLW ladder. They have two games to play, the first being next week against the Northern Territory in Darwin. So, let’s hope they keep marching into finals territory.

Our VFL team are currently in 5th position, and despite having lost to Werribee on the weekend they too are in contention for finals.

So hopefully three teams out of three will have the opportunity to play finals and fight for the rewards that they all seek.

It sure is going to be a busy time as we come to the pointy end of the year.

On a different matter. Many of you will remember seeing Hawthorn play in what looked like a white jumper as our away outfit. Never again. White is the colour of surrender and at Hawthorn we never surrender. We might get beaten but we fight every match out to the final siren. That strip has been consigned to the waste paper bin forever.

Let’s face it brown and gold does not conflict with any other colours, so we will wear it proudly every game but one.

The only exception will be the jumper we wear for the Indigenous round, which will be a special design, recognising the importance we attach to the 16 Indigenous players who have so far represented Hawthorn.

Finally, work is continuing on the final designs for the Kennedy Community Centre. We hope to have those completed by end of the year.

We also hope to “cap” the site this year. This is where we create several test sites to establish any movement in the ground before we proceed to construct hopefully in early 2020.

So, a lot happening. Remember the name we have given this five-year period within our overall 2050 strategy? Dare to be Different! We are daring right now.

Stay well, stay Hawthorn and stay brown and gold.

Jeff Kennett

President

Gotten a little wishy washy and vague on Dingley, no....?
Lots of 'hope' and 'hopefully's but not much concrete to say - or pour for that matter.:huh:
And considering the timeline to start building I'd also expect to be hearing/knowing how it's getting paid for.
Ah well, many on here have told me not to question the man, and that they love his regular updates because they feel he delivers so much more with his words than the previous admin. So I guess I'll shut up now on this one.:oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back