Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean besides three premierships, long-term financial stability, facilities expansion and one membership record after another?

The backseat driving and petty whinging from so many rabidly anti-Jeff types in this thread amazes me.
I said it in 2010 (and remember pre 2010 I was one of the biggest Tasmanian cheer leaders in 2004-2009) but I doubt that our on field record (or subsequent off field success) would have changed much had we had a locked in agreement for MCG games and an extra $8m in the kitty.

In renegotiating the deal back then, Kennett admitted that the compensation passage would have resulted in us being better off then if we stayed

You mean besides three premierships, long-term financial stability, facilities expansion and one membership record after another?

The backseat driving and petty whinging from so many rabidly anti-Jeff types in this thread amazes me.

surprised it took this long
No one has actually 'put me back in my box' by stating where Jeffs 'whacks' have ever produced a good outcome.

Paranoid Backseat drivers collectively saved this club in 1996. and if the admin had been scrutinised while developing the training base (then glenferrie) at the time it might not have come to that.

So here's an open letter of thanks to 1996's back seat drivers

No one has actually 'put me back in my box' by stating where Jeffs 'whacks' have ever produced a good outcome.

Paranoid Backseat drivers collectively saved this club in 1996. and if the admin had been scrutinised while developing the training base (then glenferrie) at the time it might not have come to that.

So... we're facing 1996 Part II now? Kennett is driving us to another merger crisis.

Look, you don't have to love the guy. But to rant against him like he is Rosemary's Baby is delusional.

I had the misfortune of sitting next to Mike Fitzpatrick in early 2016 at a function and he asked who I followed and I proudly said Hawthorn, to which he replied "anyone but Hawthorn this year". This statement prompted a vigorous discussion on the benefits to the competition in the other teams lifting their performances and not pulling the Hawks back to their crap level.

If you think there is not an agenda to pull Hawthorn back to the pack and restrict our chances of further premierships in the short to medium term I think you are mistaken.

Jeff calling the AFL out for their inconsistencies is a good thing IMO.

Last edited:
2000 12 MCG 10h2a 4 DL 1h3a _____6 others inc Carl PrincesPark
2001 12 MCG 9h3a 5 DL 1h4a 1TAS 4 others inc Carl PP (incidentally played final at doclands)
2002 13 MCG 8h5a 3 DL 1h2a 2TAS 4 others
2003 12 MCG 9h3a 3 DL 1h2a 2TAS 5 others inc Carl PP
2004 11 MCG 8h3a 5 DL 1h4a 2TAS 5 others inc Geelong KardiniaPark (last time ever) also played Carlton at DockLands
2005 10 MCG 7h3a 5 DL 1h4a 2 TAS 5 others
2006 6 MCG 4h2a 7 DL 2h5a 3 TAS 6 others inc Geelong KP and 1 home game carrara was comm games at MCG
2007 8 MCG 7h2a 5 DL 1h4a 4 TAS 5 others also final at DockLands
2008 10 MCG 7h3a 4 DL 0h4a 4 TAS 4 others
2009 10 MCG 7h3a 3 DL 0h3a 4 TAS 5 others
2010 12 MCG 7h5a 3 DL 0h3a 4 TAS 3 others
2011 11 MCG 7h4a 2 DL 0h2a 4 TAS 5 others (GC and GWS enter)
2012 13 MCG 7h6a 2 DL 0h2a 4 TAS 3 others
2013 9 MCG 6h3a 5 DL 1h4a 4 TAS 4 others
2014 11 MCG 7h4a 2 DL 0h2a 4 TAS 5 others
2015 9 MCG 6h3a 4 DL 1h3a 4 TAS 5 others
2016 10 MCG 6h4a 3 DL 0h3a 4 TAS 5 others
2017 11 MCG 6h5a 2 DL 1h1a 4 TAS 5 others
2018 9 MCG 6h3a 5 DL 1h4a 4 TAS 4 others
2018 9 MCG 6h3a 4 DL 1h3a 4 TAS 5 others

Behind the scenes the club wouldnt be happy at a 'base' level of MCG game 2 years running. I suppose essendon are the major winner from that

they would be looking to average 10-3-4-5 allowing for our 4 tassie games now and 2 extra clubs not in melbourne

I had the misfortune of sitting next to Mike Fitzpatrick in early 2016 at a function and he asked who I followed and I proudly said Hawthorn, to which he replied "anyone but Hawthorn this year". This statement prompted a vigorous discussion on the benefits to the competition in the other teams lifting their performances and not pulling the Hawks back to their crap level. He was adamant that we would not be winning it again that year.

If you think there is not an agenda to pull Hawthorn back to the pack and restrict our chances of further premierships in the short to medium term I think you are mistaken.

OK but thats not what I am saying

So... we're facing 1996 Part II now? Kennett is driving us to another merger crisis.

Look, you don't have to love the guy. But to rant against him like he is Rosemary's Baby is delusional.

Extreme extrapolation. I'm referring to the smashing of even the slightest dissent "Rolleyes oh we all KNOW you hate jeff"

Quite like him really. hes funny.

and when we are talking hundreds of millions (Dingley) , Im really hoping it goes well. cos raiding little kids piggy banks would not cover it this time
And as the other guy said, sections of the AFL heirarchy are just waiting to pounce....

If we didn't have the Tassie deal, how many MCG games do you think the AFL would give us ?

I'd say 2 more, 2 more docklands and offset a docklands game in that we'd be favourite to play north in tassie most years

The good part is supposedly we wouldn't lose money each docklands game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had the misfortune of sitting next to Mike Fitzpatrick in early 2016 at a function and he asked who I followed and I proudly said Hawthorn, to which he replied This statement prompted a vigorous discussion on the benefits to the competition in the other teams lifting their performances and not pulling the Hawks back to their crap level.

Whilst I do think the AFL have an agenda to rehabilitate Essendon and favour the teams they see as crowd pullers, I hardly think Fitztpatrick saying "anyone but Hawthorn this year" is evidence of an anti-Hawthorn agenda. There wouldn't have been a non-Hawthorn person in 2016 that didn't feel this way.

Whilst I do think the AFL have an agenda to rehabilitate Essendon and favour the teams they see as crowd pullers, I hardly think Fitztpatrick saying "anyone but Hawthorn this year" is evidence of an anti-Hawthorn agenda. There wouldn't have been a non-Hawthorn person in 2016 that didn't feel this way.

I agree with you, every opposition football supporter out there was praying that we failed.

But Fitzpatrick is still an unlikeable Hawthorn hater, after some smashing in the 80’s.

iur

The most successful teams will be among the most hated. Other supporters categorize us with the wobblers, druggues, baggers, and $wans, and if the tigers don't move back down to their rightful 9th spot, they will be hated too.

I mostly hate our opponent from week to week, but have special dislike for the Scott bros. - and thus their teams, baggers and druggies, and Port. Just my opinion.

I CAN however show you how we've lost valuable staff under his stewardship.
I CAN show you the lack of clear and definable progress being made at Dingley.
I CAN show you a continued pattern of poor working relationships with his other industry colleagues.
I CAN show you zero headway in gaining a spot for a HFC women's team in the National league, debatable as that is to being important for the club's future.
I CAN show you no agreed upon strategy for a long term playing relationship in Tassie, and what that means if it were to fall over.
I CAN show you the loss of a MAJOR long term sponsor, under circumstances not yet really explained, and the lack of transparency over replacing that deal.

What CAN you show me, that wasn't already in tow such as yearly increases in membership numbers?
You ‘CAN’ show it

But you haven’t

You ‘CAN’ show it

But you haven’t

Yeh, you're right.
Life with a wife and 2 kids in high school have left me short on motivation to source my inferences.

Answers.
1. Obvious. Search for employed individuals by HFC at time of Jeff's hiring and those currently on payroll. If you choose to not view them as valuable...well, it takes too much breath to educate some.
2. Obvious. The only CLEAR and DEFINEABLE movement messaged to us thus far at Dingley way is some rolled out brown and gold Hessian. Glorious be.
3. Your ******* with me, right? Do I need to do anything more than point to Jeff's giant flap trap he yawned gapingly again today?
4. You're not too dopey to understand this point, surely?
5. So bloody clear Jeff won't stop yapping about, that he doesn't know or understand what Tassie is after but if they would please let us know we can get on with it.
6. Audi gone. No explanation. No replacement. So clear, only you could not glean it's meaning.
7. Oh yes, you've added nothing to my suggestion of detailing what Jeff's presidency has brought to the club apart from some chest beating and the appearance of change for changes sake.

Nice job drongo.

Last edited:
I have no inside knowledge but at the end of Jeff’s last tenure, the players and staff had a rehearsed line “Ah Jeff will be Jeff but etc etc” you’ve all heard it.

The same line has been resurrected

Personally I’d die of shame if I knew my organisation systematically was ‘handling me’ thus, half apologetically

6. Audi gone. No explanation. No replacement. So clear, only you could not glean it's meaning.

Again - Audi were a minor sponsor, close to our shortest tenured and since when has any club ever given a full dissection of the reasons why a sponsor has chosen not to recommit? Also - name me a club that gives out status updates about sponsorship negotiations when they are occurring? So many people get uppity about the club not being upfront about things that absolutely no clubs are upfront about. I am sure negotiations for a new sponsor are occurring - the absence of updates about it =/= nothing is happening. We have a well connected CEO and some well connected board members, one of which is a former commercial CEO whose sole responsibility is bringing in alternative revenue streams. Something's telling me that everyone isn't just napping under their desks like George Costanza just because Jeff sounds out some missives from time to time.

Eddie McGuire is equally as divisive and equally as vocal as Jeff - has that stopped Collingwood having commercial partnerships with companies such as CGU, Holden, Emirates, Subway, Nike and Optus?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back