Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide and Gold Coast are due to play their second consecutive premiership game in China's biggest city, Shanghai, in round nine this year, while AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan last week revealed four clubs had flown to India on a fact-finding mission.

Richmond and Greater Western Sydney have been pushing since last year to play a premiership game in Mumbai, while Essendon and Adelaide have also been investigating playing a pre-season or exhibition game on the subcontinent

That,I find important.

This whole thing makes me very sad, whilst Tasmania is small, it is extremely passionate - the North and North-West in particular are full of die-hard AFL towns - cricket in summer, football in winter; with no thought given to emerging sports like soccer, hockey, slam poetry etc.

To see the AFL so blatantly turn its back on a place like this really typifies the commercial mentality, without acknowledging that it's these types of communities that embedded AFL in our culture such that it CAN be leveraged commercially. If the AFL keep loading up the top end of the organisation, it's going to get too heavy and tip over, unless they go back and strengthen the foundation!

It's not just Tasmania.

This has been going on in Victoria for over 30 years.

Um, Tassie/Overseas joke missed its mark :D
No that will get you a thread ban. You want to disagree with his current as in since he became President comments go for it, you want to drag up old s**t you can do it somewhere else, we've been through all of that enough times already

I’d suggest a kennet thread is not a place for humour, even thought jeff himself has no problem with it

Hawks President Jeff Kennett says ......

The President said both the Hawks and North Melbourne would be able to continue to maintain their arrangements with the state, playing games in Launceston and Hobart, respectively.

“I have spoken to Richard Goyder, the new chairman of the AFL commission, and to Gil and I have said to them both, ‘look, stop all this talk about whether Hawthorn’s going to be there or you want to remove us from Tassie,”

“The state can support the two, north and south, let’s just get on and continue to focus on those things in the league that aren’t working well and resolve those.”

Richard Goyder has been chairman for 11 months.

Neither he or Gil are talking about removing us from Tasmania.

Utter BS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmania, as an entire footballing State could be completely buoyed with a fraction of the GCS bail out package etc. :(

Don't know about Tassie,however when you lose the long term structure that built clubs,it is difficult to get going again.

Little place I live in will never get junior teams going again.

I reckon there are some power struggles going on in the background in AFL circles that we might hear about at some stage this year. Jeff’s comments in recent times about standing up for the club and taking the AFL on seem to indicate there is a bit happening. I guess there comes a time after repeatedly paying the highest amount of taxes to the AFL and receiving the least in distributions pisses you off when you believe the AFL is pissing money up the wall. And that in short is what he really means

Out of curiosity, how much does the AFL subsidise the China experiment, ie getting the ground booked, prepared for purpose etc before Port waltzes in and takes the cream with guaranteed money with no risk.

That was after the AFL tried to move Norf to the Gold Coast in 2007.

Now what side was Jeff on in 1996!
22 years ago?

Good point.

Out of interest, what side has he been & acted on for the last 15ish years?

You’re right - forget that recent BS he’s done for the club - let’s look back to 1996 for relevance.

I was replying to events from 2001 to 2006 and thought I'd go back another 5 years.

So what has Jeff done?
I didn’t see your reference to the 2001-2006 period & missed the reference to the previous 5 years. I must have missed that - viewing via iPad - apologise.

Is there any other President who speaks against the AFL so often? Any other party in general (excl. Don Scott)?

Probably not. Does that bode well for us when the AFL makes decisions?

Wonder what the effect of all of Jeff's ramblings are. At least Jeff is committed to Hawthorn, but his techniques are interesting.

I was replying to events from 2001 to 2006 and thought I'd go back another 5 years.

So what has Jeff done?
Your time in this thread is done.

This was a News thread, and you’ve made it go south with a lot of the anti-Jeff stuff that we’ve already read countless times in other threads.

To me the HFC means our jumper, our history, and the virtues and values that Kennedy, Parkin and Yabby built.

What is that? part of it is....

-head down and be known by your actions;
-team first so don't individualise;
-keep our business, our problems, our conflicts, in-house;
-don't publicly criticize or disparage a member of the family;
-don't worry about what your neighbor is doing; certainly never demean or comment on other clubs;
-be humble in victory and gracious in defeat,
-earn respect don't seek it in headlines....

and such other matters that concern our public image.

On occasion I have taken pause listening to Clarkson speak about Sydney (after JLT1) and about Carlton (JLT2) or about Collingwoods 4 peat in 2016. But so much of what Clarkson says and does tells me that he not only understands the way of the HFC, but that he conciously lives by it and teaches it to the next generation.

When I hear Kennet speak, i despair that he doesn't understand the HFC way. Even when what he says improves our lot, and i am thankful, i ask myself whether he could have achieved it another way and normally the answer is yes. I want Kennet to celebrate the HFC way, and it really really disappoints me when he blows it up publicly.

Perhaps people can say that I over-romantacise the virtues and the values of the HFC, or times have changed.

Last edited:
To me the HFC means our jumper, our history, and the virtues and values that Kennedy, Parkin and Yabby built.

What is that? part of it is....

-head down and be known by your actions;
-team first so don't individualise;
-keep our business, our problems, our conflicts, in-house;
-don't publicly criticize or disparage a member of the family;
-don't worry about what your neighbor is doing;

And so on.......

I get what you mean. But have you ever considered that for every law, regulation, policy, guideline, ruling etc there is an exception. That’s life.

Times are changing and you have to look to social media as the prime example of what the future is likely to hold. Self promotion, telling everyone about it etc is how it heading. I hate social media with a passion. But I acknowledge the way things are moving

You have to beat your own drum more than ever and right now, There is no better person to do that than Jeff

I heard the interview and I thought Kennett was first class. We need someone with a voice to stand up for Hawthorn FC, none in the media are going to portray the view of the world according to HFC are they?
-It is the AFL's responsibility for football in Tasmania, not Hawthorn's despite what rubbish some in the media peddle;
-Pokies are legal, as such a legitimate form of income for HFC;
-The AFL does take large sums of money from gambling agencies so it is hypocritical of them to now come out and say football clubs should give up their pokies;
-Why do other clubs get such a large share of AFL funds when they cannot get their day to day operations in order and why should HFC pay tax to assist them?
-Where is the HFC share of the funds now when we want it for Dingley Redevelopment?

All of these items mentioned are legitimate questions that should be publically asked of the AFL, if they are asked behind closed doors it will go nowhere, they will just sweep it under their crowded carpet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back