Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t that restrict the club to being nothing more than a provincial club?

No, why would it? Hasn't restricted Chelsea has it? Or Liverpool... can't afford to be embarrassed like we where against GWS

No, why would it? Hasn't restricted Chelsea has it? Or Liverpool... can't afford to be embarrassed like we where against GWS

Liverpool (and Everton) have always been based in Stanley Park ditto Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

By moving to Dingley (which is 30km from the city centre and away from the north, west, and north eastern corridors) we would be cocooning ourselves from 70% of the city.

Every big VFL / AFL club has benefited from being an MCG tenant, by turning our back on the city we would loose valuable corporate support as well as probably 40-50% of our Victorian membership (honestly would people who live on Belgrave line really want to go to Dingley?)

As for protecting ourselves against GWS attendances we regularly drew sub 15,000 attendances at Waverley Park and that was much more centrally located then Dingley.

To suggest that Dingley should feature in our long term planning for home games is a massive step in the wrong direction.

Geelong, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs are small provincial clubs.

The challenge for Hawthorn should be trying to build these games to 40,000 plus (like we did against West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide and Brisbane in the three peat era) not to give up on being a big member / big attendance club

Liverpool (and Everton) have always been based in Stanley Park ditto Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

By moving to Dingley (which is 30km from the city centre and away from the north, west, and north eastern corridors) we would be cocooning ourselves from 70% of the city.

Every big VFL / AFL club has benefited from being an MCG tenant, by turning our back on the city we would loose valuable corporate support as well as probably 40-50% of our Victorian membership (honestly would people who live on Belgrave line really want to go to Dingley?)

As for protecting ourselves against GWS attendances we regularly drew sub 15,000 attendances at Waverley Park and that was much more centrally located then Dingley.

To suggest that Dingley should feature in our long term planning for home games is a massive step in the wrong direction.

Geelong, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs are small provincial clubs.

The challenge for Hawthorn should be trying to build these games to 40,000 plus (like we did against West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide and Brisbane in the three peat era) not to give up on being a big member / big attendance club

Personally I do not agree, commercially our location where we play games is irrelevant, the only commercial concern for our partners and sponsors are the TV rights, the actual location of where we play means SFA.

Our members are much more loyal in terms of purchasing memberships than attending games, this has been proven now for 15-20 years... Just because we play Dingley wouldn't mean they drop off, if anything it will encourage members to purchase reserved seating.

Going 30km outside of the city is hardly provincial, particularly when the urban sprawl is pushing the boundaries 50-60km East and West of the city.

Having a boutique purpose built stadium would put our club on a pedestal, we could play our interstate teams that are low drawing at the ground and we could play select games against pleb clubs at the ground.. Even if it was a 30k stadium, the atmosphere and feel would be immeasurable.

Would love the club to start a 10 year plan to construct our own stadium in Dingley, a 35-40k stadium to play all but big drawcard games.. could you imagine that? If we could get out of tassie and do that it would be amazing, economically I know it’d be a challenge but gee the reward would be brilliant.
You must live in Dingley. For me and most supporters, I can think of nothing worse than playing games in Dingley. Who would this benefit? We currently play at the best AFL stadium in VIctoria. Our crowds dip 10K when we play two train stations away. They would dip another 10K if we went to Dingley. A decent 35K stadium would cost $500m and would bankrupt the club very quickly.

You must live in Dingley. For me and most supporters, I can think of nothing worse than playing games in Dingley. Who would this benefit? We currently play at the best AFL stadium in VIctoria. Our crowds dip 10K when we play two train stations away. They would dip another 10K if we went to Dingley. A decent 35K stadium would cost $500m and would bankrupt the club very quickly.

I live in Brunswick lol... I would have no dramas going out to Dingley to watch the club.

Personally I do not agree, commercially our location where we play games is irrelevant, the only commercial concern for our partners and sponsors are the TV rights, the actual location of where we play means SFA.

Our members are much more loyal in terms of purchasing memberships than attending games, this has been proven now for 15-20 years... Just because we play Dingley wouldn't mean they drop off, if anything it will encourage members to purchase reserved seating.

Going 30km outside of the city is hardly provincial, particularly when the urban sprawl is pushing the boundaries 50-60km East and West of the city.

Having a boutique purpose built stadium would put our club on a pedestal, we could play our interstate teams that are low drawing at the ground and we could play select games against pleb clubs at the ground.. Even if it was a 30k stadium, the atmosphere and feel would be immeasurable.

As above moving from the MCG would be a disaster and a step backwards for the club.

Hawthorn along with Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood is the only Victorian club that has a proven track record drawing 40,000 plus to games against non Victorian clubs. Our problem is sustaining those crowds and reducing fluctuations

And if you think the club wouldn’t struggle filling a corporate luncheon at Dingley you’ve got another thing coming. All round it would be a terrible idea...

As I said hawthorn is not a provincial club our members are drawn from the inner suburbs all around Melbourne as well as the outer sprawl. So why limit ourselves to St Kilda’s territory?

Why throw that away for a Moorabbin type stadium which is less accessible then Waverley Park

Yeah, I look forward to a Friday night Dingley game. Who wants to have a pot in the city, maybe a bite, and the wander down to watch the game with some mates at the G? I would much prefer training home and then driving to Dingley for some quick fish and chips washed down with a Solo. The RSL is probably rockin'.

Unless the stop playing the grand final at the G, why move?

You'd need the metro loop to be built and include a station at Dingley for a 30k stadium and the ability to fill it.

So if they announce that and the AFL announce a policy to rotate the grand final, then maybe we can talk about it

To me this is significantly worse than the Stratton situation. Absolute shame that the leader of our club says something like this.

I agree, this is appalling. Clarko is on 360 tonight so I hope he comes out with a very strong stance on the actions of the club in the last few days. We need our real leader to set us straight again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is really hurtful :( . I'm glad his view is not the majority view.
The problem is it doesn't have to be the view of the majority to be damaging; his public display of ignorance and racism is going to hurt our club for years and is in large part why he left politics.

I agree, this is appalling. Clarko is on 360 tonight so I hope he comes out with a very strong stance on the actions of the club in the last few days. We need our real leader to set us straight again.

Clarko will be livid. rarely does these shows and the one week he decides to relent, we have the weekend from hell.

There is every chance he'll belt Robbo tonight!

Brain to mouth, never start a sentence with - "I'm not being racist but ..."

Its the old chestnut isn't it. I'm surprised he didn't add "and I have some friends who are...". His second term has been a real worry. He started signalling about Australia day a couple of years ago without any apparent regard for our indigenous players and now this. Gonna do wonders for attracting talent to the club. Big big question mark over our culture with crusty as president.

Sheesh don't go overboard people. More moral outrage what a surprise. Read the article in context. He is hoping that the people policing our game are properly equipped. He said he was not sure.

I have had 'new arrivals' drive me half way around Melbourne in their cabs to get 1 km. They could not speak English and could not find there way around. Then I had no 'discuss' the fare. That went well. There are other examples where 'new arrivals' are out of their depth on occasions. It is not racial.

Jeff is already aware this is a sensitive issue with fans and the crowd controllers need to be up to the task.

To say he is being overtly discriminatory or prejudicial is dumb.

Last edited:
Sheesh don't go overboard people. More moral outrage what a surprise. Read the article in context. He is hoping that the people policing our game are properly equipped. He said he was not sure.

I have had 'new arrivals' drive me half way around Melbourne in their cabs to get 1 km. They could not speak English and could not find there way around. Then I had no 'discuss' the fare. That went well. There are other examples where 'new arrivals' are out of there depth on occasions. It is not racial its an issue.

Jeff is already aware this is a sensitive issue with fans and the crown controllers need to be up to the task.

To say he is being overtly discriminatory or prejudicial is dumb.

Cyril disagrees

cdb4d6f1e7ac77aa5a500ba154982011.jpg

The fact that you can’t even see the racism here is actually quite sad. Jeff is literally assuming that someone is not from Australia because he saw that their skin colour was dark on a tv screen and from this conclusion decided that they don’t understand AFL and can’t do their job... Nah, not racist.

Forget the fact that these people had been directed to act in such a manner by their employer!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back