Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope he sticks around.
I just think now more than ever stability is required and another 12 months would be sensible.

I think he will stick around: saw him yesterday at the new Coles in Glenferrie Road, joking with the staff.

He bought some quality cheese - surely that means he is staying!

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
There’s reports he said the AFL should cull unfinancial clubs down the track.

I don’t believe a Hawthorn president should be saying that. Short answer

one of the things Jeff mentions is ‘other revenue streams’ but while he is calling the competition structurally unsustainable, shouldn’t there be more of a focus on getting the core business sustainable. If crowds return, venues have a fair bit to do with this.

docklands can be an answer here, but was a millstone for decades. It was hellish expensive and funded on the never never. Then premier Kennett, Jackson and Collins had a lot to do with that

Last edited:

I hope he sticks around.
I just think now more than ever stability is required and another 12 months would be sensible.

Would be absolute madness to change any major positions in the club at the moment

Unprecedented times and we are going pretty well all things considered

Some clubs have outlined details regarding what members can do if they choose to sign up for a membership next year. Has anyone heard if Hawthorn members will get some sort of credit towards a 2021 membership?

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some clubs have outlined details regarding what members can do if they choose to sign up for a membership next year. Has anyone heard if Hawthorn members will get some sort of credit towards a 2021 membership?
Jeez I really hope no Hawthorn member asks for that
Just think of this year as a donation

Jeez I really hope no Hawthorn member asks for that
Just think of this year as a donation

Some people need to understand this though. A membership is basically a “season ticket” that grants you access to games and is not a donation.

I’m not going to ask for a refund, but there is no way I’m signing up for a membership in 2021 if crowds won’t be allowed.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some people need to understand this though. A membership is basically a “season ticket” that grants you access to games and is not a donation.

I’m not going to ask for a refund, but there is no way I’m signing up for a membership in 2021 if crowds won’t be allowed.
I will

I don’t want us to ever vote on a merger again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it?

I've been Interstate Silver (Family has too) for a while & haven't attended a game since Prelim 2015 vs purples (at Subi). But for the $2 in stickers they send every year, I consider my fees as a donation.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Will be sponsoring a daughter for 3 yrs doing a BA in UK and unless the exchange rate improves, Ill be seriously cutting.

If the Hawks don't give a discount for next year, I'm going into cheaper categories, wont stop my 26yr straight

Hawthorn President Jeff Kennett has penned the following letter to members...

Well, good afternoon Hawkers.

True to say we are not as happy as we might be!

That said, we woke up this morning to start the rest of our lives and, as I always say, that beats the blazes over the alternative.

Nonetheless, we must as always be honest with each other.

The last three weeks have delivered the most disappointing displays by our boys that I have witnessed in years.

Read: Day a shining light

We have been comprehensively out played. The desire and skills shown by the three teams we have recently played in GWS, Collingwood, and Melbourne last night, left us floundering.

Can I remind you, however, no other team has achieved what we have at Hawthorn over the last twelve years: four premierships!

Just as it is true that you cannot win premierships every year, it is equally true that you cannot win every game you play. That said, we do expect our team to leave the field after each contest knowing they have given their best and done us proud, win or lose.

It is also true, as we are witnessing at the moment, that the “experts” come out from their burrows with all the solutions and calling into question whether our Coach Alastair Clarkson is the man to turn our performances around.

Let me say categorically, he is.

Read: 'Hard work the only way forward' says Clarko

Both Alastair and I like nothing more than a challenge and enjoy nothing more than proving those with opinions, but no responsibility, wrong.

Just about every other club would give their right arm to have Alastair coach their team, but he is not going anywhere.

I will remind you that coaches can only do so much, players must be up to the task!

So, in writing to you today I want to put things in perspective. Yes, we have had three shockers, but we are proud and passionate. We stand together as a family with a great history and great success. While we refer to our history, we live for tomorrow, the next game, the next season and the next premiership.

You never succeed in life at anything by eating your own. We do not, it is simply not the Hawthorn way.

So, wear your scarves, be proud of our colours and join with me in rising up to the challenge that is before us.

Have a good day.

Jeff Kennett
President

Apr 29, 2007
Clyde North
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
boxing, cricket
Hawthorn President Jeff Kennett has penned the following letter to members...

Well, good afternoon Hawkers.

True to say we are not as happy as we might be!

That said, we woke up this morning to start the rest of our lives and, as I always say, that beats the blazes over the alternative.

Nonetheless, we must as always be honest with each other.

The last three weeks have delivered the most disappointing displays by our boys that I have witnessed in years.

Read: Day a shining light

We have been comprehensively out played. The desire and skills shown by the three teams we have recently played in GWS, Collingwood, and Melbourne last night, left us floundering.

Can I remind you, however, no other team has achieved what we have at Hawthorn over the last twelve years: four premierships!

Just as it is true that you cannot win premierships every year, it is equally true that you cannot win every game you play. That said, we do expect our team to leave the field after each contest knowing they have given their best and done us proud, win or lose.

It is also true, as we are witnessing at the moment, that the “experts” come out from their burrows with all the solutions and calling into question whether our Coach Alastair Clarkson is the man to turn our performances around.

Let me say categorically, he is.

Read: 'Hard work the only way forward' says Clarko

Both Alastair and I like nothing more than a challenge and enjoy nothing more than proving those with opinions, but no responsibility, wrong.

Just about every other club would give their right arm to have Alastair coach their team, but he is not going anywhere.

I will remind you that coaches can only do so much, players must be up to the task!

So, in writing to you today I want to put things in perspective. Yes, we have had three shockers, but we are proud and passionate. We stand together as a family with a great history and great success. While we refer to our history, we live for tomorrow, the next game, the next season and the next premiership.

You never succeed in life at anything by eating your own. We do not, it is simply not the Hawthorn way.

So, wear your scarves, be proud of our colours and join with me in rising up to the challenge that is before us.

Have a good day.

Jeff Kennett
President
He contradicted what he said yesterday that Clarko won’t be coach after 2022.
Clarko wasn’t happy when asked about it

Sometimes i don't know what to make of Don Scott...he certainly is a strange cat.

Sometimes i don't know what to make of Don Scott...he certainly is a strange cat.

agreed
Be a huge part In saving the club From merging but continue to put the boots in whenever you can

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa
Cat fan here so no love for your boys but I sure do respect em. And what I just saw on 360 was utterly ****ed. Robbo has just spent 15 minutes seemingly trying to bait Alistair Clarkson. I can't recall a more disrespectful segment to a current AFL coach. Rudiculous, antagonistic, loaded questions that showed no respect for a genuine legend of the game. Remember Robbo, without men like Clarkson you are nothing.

ScottMaginness

All Australian
Oct 16, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cat fan here so no love for your boys but I sure do respect em. And what I just saw on 360 was utterly f’ed. Robbo has just spent 15 minutes seemingly trying to bait Alistair Clarkson. I can't recall a more disrespectful segment to a current AFL coach. Rudiculous, antagonistic, loaded questions that showed no respect for a genuine legend of the game. Remember Robbo, without men like Clarkson you are nothing.

360 would have the makings of a good show if they took out Robbo and Gerard.

Back