Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

A whole lot of nothing in his latest members email:

Hi there Hawkers,

I would not be being frank with you all if I did not say that I have been disappointed with how the season has unfolded for us so far this year. But I will not be alone in thinking that.

The coaches and playing group are undoubtedly as disappointed as we, the members are.

That said, it has been a very disruptive year, but that has been the case for all clubs and teams, so we make no excuses.

Despite the circumstances of the season, some of our competitors are in full flight, and I thought the game between Port Adelaide and Richmond was probably the best game I have watched this year.

So far we at Hawthorn have seen some exciting players emerge, who will clearly be the group around whom our future will be built. Players like O’Meara, Mitchell, Sicily, Worpel, Impey, Day, Hardwick and so the list goes on.

As the coach has said, and particularly with no VFL competition in 2020, we need to give some of our younger players some match experience. We expect to see a continuation of the introduction of these younger players into the team over the rest of the season.

So, while disappointed, I am excited about the challenge ahead. We have been in this position before and can again become very competitive. Do not get me wrong, we at Hawthorn never give up, and will fight out every game. But that said, without knowing what season 2021 is going to look like, we need to start preparing for next year.

My message is to stay focused, and while we clearly cannot be winners of every match, every year, we can always be passionate about the club, its people and where we are going.

We will speak again soon, for now I just want to reassure you, that your Board, and the administration of Hawthorn are very focused. We may be a little battered and bruised, but we continue to stand tall and proud of who we are, our history, and most importantly the future we wish to carve out for the club and its members.

1. The Board have written the year off
2. The Board expect to see a number of kids play. That number is higher than the number Clarko is thinking. If we don’t play 5-6 kids in the next couple of weeks, it will get interesting.

there’s seven games left? Good to see all on the same hymn sheet.

I like the strong messaging from Kennett to the members, but only if Clarko backs it up and plays some kids.

Otherwise there will be more questions from the media

There will be anyway. The other day Cornes gave his daily lecture on how adelaide and north need to rebuild, then rolled into carlton saying how the rebuild was going wrong.

There will be anyway. The other day Cornes gave his daily lecture on how adelaide and north need to rebuild, then rolled into carlton saying how the rebuild was going wrong.
All valid points though.

We are the one club that publicly has said we're challenging for silverware but sit 15th. So there either needs to be some sort of acknowledgement that we're heading into a youth phase or results need to improve. Then the narrative changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals is a 6 wins from 7 prospect with the two top 3 teams to come. 6 from 8 was 'doable' (It happened in 2019) but I bet no team gets 6 from the final 7 in this season.
Id say moderate exposure of kids v Eagles and Port, then much more from then on

All valid points though.

We are the one club that publicly has said we're challenging for silverware but sit 15th. So there either needs to be some sort of acknowledgement that we're heading into a youth phase or results need to improve. Then the narrative changes.

When Jeff said "no excuses' the unsaid excuse is: 1 true home game; 8 neutral games (at best) and 8 true 'away' games. its circumstances rather than any conspiracy, having 5-6 designated still to come suggests the AFL kept the option open for tasmania.

Teams complain about fixtures but I don't think that has ever happened before if we don't play our last 4 games either AO (neutral) or Tassie (home) it really does stink

When Jeff said "no excuses' the unsaid excuse is: 1 true home game; 8 neutral games (at best) and 8 true 'away' games. its circumstances rather than any conspiracy, having 5-6 designated still to come suggests the AFL kept the option open for tasmania.

Teams complain about fixtures but I don't think that has ever happened before if we don't play our last 4 games either AO (neutral) or Tassie (home) it really does stink
It really doesn't matter. Good teams beat Sydney at the SCG, especially when they're at half strength.
Good teams would beat Freo.

Let's hope for some Tassie games but let's just focus on 2021

As much as I hate to say it, Barrett made a good point in his Facebook video; Clarko makes noise around playing the kids pretty consistently and has done for a few years now but we've arguably not seen much considering the noise the club has made in this aspect. Have we as a supporter base potentially been subliminally damaged by this fact? Yes we've had a trickle of kids come through and a few of them have become consistent contributors, but given our position of recent years and seasons shouldn't we be aiming to see more debutants? We've had three which is pretty high by our standards at this time of year, but I think with where we're at I'd be hoping to see that number rise to 8-9 pretty quickly.

As much as I hate to say it, Barrett made a good point in his Facebook video; Clarko makes noise around playing the kids pretty consistently and has done for a few years now but we've arguably not seen much considering the noise the club has made in this aspect. Have we as a supporter base potentially been subliminally damaged by this fact? Yes we've had a trickle of kids come through and a few of them have become consistent contributors, but given our position of recent years and seasons shouldn't we be aiming to see more debutants? We've had three which is pretty high by our standards at this time of year, but I think with where we're at I'd be hoping to see that number rise to 8-9 pretty quickly.
We haven't seen enough. Hopefully this changes starting this week

Finishing with a flurry late last year has actually put us back going forward
Winning 6 of the last 8, to push up to 9th on the ladder in 2019, was the worst thing we could’ve done

I hate losing, but sometimes it’s in your best interest, more so in this convoluted season

As bad as this sounds, I really hope the queue is in the rack for 2020!

Winning 6 of the last 8, to push up to 9th on the ladder in 2019, was the worst thing we could’ve done

I hate losing, but sometimes it’s in your best interest, more so in this convoluted season

cue*

With so little known about draftees, is there much of a difference between pick 4 and pick 10 this year?

cue*

With so little known about draftees, is there much of a difference between pick 4 and pick 10 this year?
From what I’ve read on here, the first few picks are exactly what we need, ie line breaking mids
If we are missing Finals, then it would be much better to have pick 4 than 10 so we can secure one of these mids

Picking up a Worpel for example is great, but there is a reason he went pick 45 ish
We are desperate for highly talented mids

* Thanks for the spellcheck, I spent 3 minutes trying to remember how to spell billiard cue, then gave up! :D

cue*

out of curiousity, how low would we have had to finish last year in order to take a different player with our first pick?

From what I’ve read on here, the first few picks are exactly what we need, ie line breaking mids
If we are missing Finals, then it would be much better to have pick 4 than 10 so we can secure one of these mids

Picking up a Worpel for example is great, but there is a reason he went pick 45 ish
We are desperate for highly talented mids

* Thanks for the spellcheck, I spent 3 minutes trying to remember how to spell billiard cue, then gave up! :D
My point here is that top 10 picks are a bit of a lottery. I think if you go back and look at recent drafts, you'll find pick 7 has produced better players than pick 3. No doubt a top 10 pick is better than picks 11-20, but is there any difference from picks within 10? And isn't that even more of a mystery when recruiters haven't seen them play that much? I don't think there will be a huge difference between pick 4 and 8 this year. We might take the same player at either pick.

In terms of the draft, huge early talk on Ugle-Hagan and Thilthorpe being the top 2, both taller options - and then there are a number of good mids after that. So it might not really matter that much

out of curiousity, how low would we have had to finish last year in order to take a different player with our first pick?
I was thinking that also. Not sure we will ever know, but i'd imagine Day was up there as we talked to him a lot pre-draft. So would it make any difference to us if we took him at 8 rather than 13? Does he become a better player if we took him earlier?

Missing piece of info, we were still pushing for the 8. We aren't pushing the 8 now, so we theoretically see more kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back