Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think it’s a big footy argument I think it’s a serious concern for the club.
I get that we have a lot of interstate members, but the empty seats were those that are reserved. I’m concerned that’s what it looked like for an opening round match and against Collingwood. The weather wasn’t great but I doubt it would have kept that many people at home considering a lot would’ve already paid for their seat.
You want to be treated like a big club and get games at the MCG, but the supporters aren’t turning up, it’s a big concern.
But they've paid for a reserve seat which means the club got the money
Really it's the blow ins that we want turning up to home games to fill the club coffers

Unfortunately i'm one of those reserved seat members, but have been unable to take my son and myself due to a serious accident last year in fact i could not attend a single Hawthorn game hopefully i will be able to attend again in the second half of this season but i have kept up paying our membership.
I gave you a like for hopefully being back this year, not for missing games though injury

The problem on Saturday was that the Magpie supporters didn't show up.

Eddie was there, however, they showed his sad face on the big screen.
You could read his thoughts "Shall I sack Buckley now or wait a couple of weeks?"

Properly promoted, you could sell out the mcg to witness that occurance

I know we have quite a few interstate members (not sure of exact numbers) who purchase higher level memberships with reserved seating so that they can have access to a GF ticket when we compete. Those members are unlikely to attend many games in Melbourne, if any during the H&A season.

I don’t think it’s a big footy argument I think it’s a serious concern for the club.
I get that we have a lot of interstate members, but the empty seats were those that are reserved. I’m concerned that’s what it looked like for an opening round match and against Collingwood. The weather wasn’t great but I doubt it would have kept that many people at home considering a lot would’ve already paid for their seat.
You want to be treated like a big club and get games at the MCG, but the supporters aren’t turning up, it’s a big concern.
I’ll take the blame

I live in Perth but have 8 reserved seats at our home games.
I can’t attend all games but happy to financially support the club I’ve loved for over 40yrs

But they've paid for a reserve seat which means the club got the money
Really it's the blow ins that we want turning up to home games to fill the club coffers

I gave you a like for hopefully being back this year, not for missing games though injury
What would the Club prefer:
a) a full house and $X in profit from the game or
b) a 70% full stadium and $X + $100,000 profit for the game (the additional profit being memberships purchased but not attended, i.e. still revenue for the club)

My point, what do Clubs care about? Dollars or crowd figures? Are crowd figures important? I wouldn't have thought so

Are crowd figures important? I wouldn't have thought so
It's got me stuffed why people care about the size of crowds so much.

Personally, can't stand the thought of squeezing in with 60000 other people for a home and away game, in designated seats.

What would the Club prefer:
a) a full house and $X in profit from the game or
b) a 70% full stadium and $X + $100,000 profit for the game (the additional profit being memberships purchased but not attended, i.e. still revenue for the club)

My point, what do Clubs care about? Dollars or crowd figures? Are crowd figures important? I wouldn't have thought so

The only reason that crowd figures matter, is that it gives you more clout when you are trying to get additional benefits from the AFL, such as more games at the MCG.

Don’t forget that a big crowd means more sales of pies, beer, etc. It’s all about economics!

Collingwood get a huge advantage out of the perception that they always draw big crowds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason that crowd figures matter, is that it gives you more clout when you are trying to get additional benefits from the AFL, such as more games at the MCG.

Don’t forget that a big crowd means more sales of pies, beer, etc. It’s all about economics!

Collingwood get a huge advantage out of the perception that they always draw big crowds.

Profit will pay for Dingley, not crowd numbers

Profit will pay for Dingley, not crowd numbers
True, but this came up because Jeff tweeted about negotiating a better MCG deal. Healthier crowd numbers are going to help with that.

It is better that a bunch of reserved seats are bought by people in Perth who will never sit in them than they go unsold. It would be better again if they were sold to people who sat in them every game.

True, but this came up because Jeff tweeted about negotiating a better MCG deal. Healthier crowd numbers are going to help with that.

It is better that a bunch of reserved seats are bought by people in Perth who will never sit in them than they go unsold. It would be better again if they were sold to people who sat in them every game.
Crowd numbers only push the club into more prime time spots as the home team.
Financially, it’s better to be in our situation, as sponsors jump on, but we aren’t big enough to get too many home games in prime time, which means we get the family friendly times

Collingwood's negotiating strength is the number of bums they put on seats. If we can offer similar attendances it will help us negotiate a better deal.
Go to the games Hawk supporters.
Won't happen, haven't you seen the amount of discussion on here about how to bootleg steam games. Needs it's own tread.
#fishbums.

That's becoming a bit of an urban myth, isn't it Davo?

That's becoming a bit of an urban myth, isn't it Davo?

Going on the last Saturday and the couple of games against Collingwood last year, their supporters at games have fallen off significantly. Particularly as they use their crowd numbers to get 19 games at the MCG.

And they also get permanent seats, whether it’s home or away.

That may be why Jeff is making waves about a new deal for us?

579798-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Jeff Kennett has penned the following letter to members.

President Jeff Kennett has penned the following letter to members...

Hi Hawkers

Well the season is off to a good start. Two wins under our belt. But there are still 21 games to go and of course anything can happen, so let’s take each game as it comes.

But let me give you a layman’s view of the game against Geelong last Monday.

I arrived at the MCG early to do a couple of radio interviews before the gates had opened so no people in the stands.

It was a wonderful Melbourne autumn day, sunny and warm, and I was struck by how magnificent the MCG surface looked. It reminded me of how fortunate we are to have that stadium in Melbourne but also Australia.

The game itself was all we had come to expect from a Hawthorn Geelong game. Each team having its half quarters. And although half way through the last quarter you might have felt we were going to have a relatively comfortable win, Geelong stormed home and on this occasion, we were victors by a point.

But a win is a win, and the four points ours. The tradition, the standard of competition between the two clubs, the standard of play, not to mention the result was as we have come to expect when we play Geelong.

There were some wonderful future indicators from Jarman Impey and Jaeger O’Meara, while Tom Mitchell delivered his now “normal” 40 plus possessions.

Sadly, the father of the team Shaun Burgoyne pulled a hamstring and will be out for a while.

But to put it in perspective, Silk has just started his 18th football season. A remarkable effort, and he has played every game since 2014. This injury will end 107 consecutive games.

Since making his club debut in Round 8 in 2010, Shaun has played 186 games of a possible 190 games. He missed one game in 2011, one in 2012 and two games in 2013. An extraordinary effort.

So, he deserves a break. But let’s hope it is a short one, for he continues to be in our best players every time he hits the field.

In other happenings around the club, you might have read we were considering with enthusiasm, the prospect of entering the National Basketball League with a team of our own. Your club executives did a great deal of work on this over the last four months.

In the end we decided against such a move, with the need for the NBL to be differently structured than it is at present for us to enter the competition. We at Hawthorn think the NBL should be a stand-alone entity, with a Board that governs the competition and full and proper financial accountability and transparency.

This is not a criticism of the current operation of the NBL, as basketball has been revived thanks to the financial generosity of Larry Kestleman, who owns the competition. But as Hawthorn is a member based and owned organisation, for us to join the NBL we would want, in your interests, the same level of governance in the NBL that we demand of ourselves.

In short, all assets of the Hawthorn Football Club are owned by you the members, and we as a Board make decisions, some with risks attached, and we must understand these risks and treat your monies more prudently than we do our own.

This decision does not mean we have ruled out entering the NBL competition some time in the future should our suggestions in terms of governance be met.

Of course, we continue to develop the designs for the new Kennedy Community Centre. Hopefully this year will see us cap the land as we must do so before we can commence construction. Also, this year I hope we can complete the design phase of the project.

The fund raising continues to gather momentum, and when we reach a target of cash and pledges we will start construction.

The club is also developing a closer working relationship with our past players. They are the ones on whom our records and history has been built. They are the people we want our current players to know and respect. Not just former premiership players but all those who have worn the brown and gold.

Under the leadership of John Kennedy Jnr, who is President of the Past Players Association, and Jason Burt, our GM of People, Culture and Integrity, the relationship between past and present will become even closer and I hope our past players will feel very welcome at club and Past Players Association events.

Importantly, I hope our current players will come to better understand the contribution and importance of those who have gone before them.

Our membership has now hit 72,661 as I write this letter. Our target for the year is 81,000 so those who have not renewed please do so, and I urge all of us to find new supporters to convert to paid up and passionate members.

Finally, I went to the launch of our Box Hill Hawks VFL team’s season on Tuesday night. The evening was very well attended, and all players received their jumpers from Coach Chris Newman.

The club is in great shape and the players primed for their first game this weekend against Williamstown. It is an away game and is going to be tough, so we wish the team well for the weekend and the season.

As I have said before we are one club with three teams, and next week I am going to call in and see our VFLW team training for the start of their season.

All in all, as always, a lot happening at Hawthorn.

Thank you as always for your support and comments.

May the best team win on Sunday

Stay well

Jeff

Hi Hawkers

Well the season is off to a good start. Two wins under our belt. But there are still 21 games to go and of course anything can happen, so let’s take each game as it comes.

Jeff
Our Jeff doesn't math so good.

But he writes a good letter
I realised after I posted that a better reply would have been "Better math than meth Jeff."
Although the rhyme loses a touch with the Jeff.

You could argue it was a mistake with his english and rather than games he should have said rounds.
You could argue that, but he said games, so I went with the maths. The rest of the letter suggests their is sufficient evidence that he words good, but he maths terribly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back