Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is AFLW still a money pit?

Ultimately that was the original reason we didn't dive in head first and it doesnt seem like much has changed...

The big issue with AFLW is when the players and sponsors lobby for improved salary caps and a longer season.

That's when things will get interesting, it's also when the AFL and clubs will stop window dressing and actively commit to the women's game

Jeff on SEN this morning shows the world again he knows nothing about football and nothing about football culture - and as always if he gets cornered he starts his "a good football club is like a good businesses" analogy.

His message for the world: "Hawthorn will take 2 more years to rebuild and then be a super team for the next decade - it is really important to be honest with your members" When pressed, his only justification was our 13 cups.

It is really hard to maintain the belief that Jeff knows what he is doing when I can never hear him speak and agree with what he says or understand why he chooses to say it.

Jeff on SEN this morning shows the world again he knows nothing about football and nothing about football culture - and as always if he gets cornered he starts his "a good football club is like a good businesses" analogy.

His message for the world: "Hawthorn will take 2 more years to rebuild and then be a super team for the next decade - it is really important to be honest with your members" When pressed, his only justification was our 13 cups.

It is really hard to maintain the belief that Jeff knows what he is doing when I can never hear him speak and agree with what he says or understand why he chooses to say it.

the key is to know what bits to take seriously. i loved hearing there is a clear plan over the next 2 years. the other stuff is grain of salt but i also like it as it brings accountability & some boldness which is needed. the standard is set. lets have a crack at it.

It’s the first time I have heard any sort of plan from the club.

Smash the draft for the next two years and in the meantime find out who will make it long term from the current crop. Well done for coming out and providing some direction.

The powerful team for the next decade stuff he didn’t need to say it as it wreaks of desperation.

Its well proven that a football club needs to be a good business to be successful.
Look at the last 20 premierships. Of the financially struggling clubs, only the Bulldogs snagged one in 2016.
North Melbourne won one in 1999.
The financially strong clubs have dominated the competition this century.

Of all the emails I have received from the club over the last week or two, none have really explained what strategy the club has in place to improve our football position.

They marketed the hell out of Adidas, merchandise and corporate events and Jeff and Justin Reeves have provided some fluff in between.

I would have appreciated an email from Clarko or Rob McCartney to update us on our path to future success.

What is the plan?

Of all the emails I have received from the club over the last week or two, none have really explained what strategy the club has in place to improve our football position.

They marketed the hell out of Adidas, merchandise and corporate events and Jeff and Justin Reeves have provided some fluff in between.

I would have appreciated an email from Clarko or Rob McCartney to update us on our path to future success.

What is the plan?
I’m happy not to hear the plan tbh
The less it is public knowledge the more chance it is successful as it may rely on what other clubs do/want

I’m happy not to hear the plan tbh
The less it is public knowledge the more chance it is successful as it may rely on what other clubs do/want
If the plan is smash the draft over the next two years and find out who else on the list is going to be good enough, I think they can just come out and say it without fear of leaking sensitive information 😂

Funny, I take it that Clarko now finally understands where the list is at and will be refreshed and up for the job at hand. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's been extended this off-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure many many people do too, and when they do get a women’s team, good for them

Im just personally not the slightest bit interested in woman’s footy

I wasn't either until my 16-year-old daughter decided to play this year for the first time in her life and when neither of her older sisters would spend more than two seconds thinking about playing footy. It's become very popular amongst the girls, much to my surprise. I thought all the girls who wanted to play already played via Auskick, etc, but it turns out that wasn't the case. AFLW's momentum, if not AFLW directly (as none of my girls, even the footy playing youngest, could name three teams in the AFLW), has dramatically surged footy interest amongst the girls. Or at least it appears that way from my perch.

The AFL got this one right, it seems. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day so we should know these long shots like the AFL getting something right can happen. As rare as it may be.

Wow - Jeff has just tee'd off on SEN in regards to no AFLW team in 2022.
Quote ' The AFL are worse than the bloody Andrew's government'.
Whacking em all!
He is a muppet, a dinosaur, a disgrace to the club and an absolute bore on his favourite issue du jour, the AFLW. Applications opened about 7 years ago, and his "stable, strong and financially sound" club didn't want anything to do with it - that is the end of the story.

His potshots at the Andrews government on football programs are downright embarrassing for the club.

Last edited:
I wasn't either until my 16-year-old daughter decided to play this year for the first time in her life and when neither of her older sisters would spend more than two seconds thinking about playing footy. It's become very popular amongst the girls, much to my surprise. I thought all the girls who wanted to play already played via Auskick, etc, but it turns out that wasn't the case. AFLW's momentum, if not AFLW directly (as none of my girls, even the footy playing youngest, could name three teams in the AFLW), has dramatically surged footy interest amongst the girls. Or at least it appears that way from my perch.

The AFL got this one right, it seems. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day so we should know these long shots like the AFL getting something right can happen. As rare as it may be.
I've been training with U17 girls including my daughter for the past two years and the passion and effort they put into playing is as strong and heart felt as any team I ever played with. The girls bloody love it and are improving at a rapid rate.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back on topic... Am I allowed to say I enjoy Jeff?

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not if you want people to respect you ;)

But seriously, Jeff is now reminding of the kind of Presidents Carlton and Essendon had in the 80s and 90s. One of the old boys who loved boozy lunches, backrom deals, and getting publicity. At least in the past he was able to hide that (I've always been a supporter of his, but am not shifting).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back