Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that it might be a good idea to open up a Thread specifically containing to Jeff Kennett any relevant news or comments in the media etc of the great man.

Starting with this article today.

HAWTHORN president Jeff Kennett says the AFL's push into China and India is "an absolute waste of time and money", vowing that the Hawks will never play overseas games under his reign.

Port Adelaide and Gold Coast are due to play their second consecutive premiership game in China's biggest city, Shanghai, in round nine this year, while AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan last week revealed four clubs had flown to India on a fact-finding mission.

Richmond and Greater Western Sydney have been pushing since last year to play a premiership game in Mumbai, while Essendon and Adelaide have also been investigating playing a pre-season or exhibition game on the subcontinent.

Kennett told SEN radio on Monday morning he had "great concern" about the AFL's drive to play in China and India, saying the League should be concentrating on making the existing competition and clubs "self-supporting".

"I said to my players the other day when we were down in Tassie, 'Don't expect me to ever approve you travelling overseas to play a game for (premiership) points. We are a professional team. I'm not going to put at risk four points to have you flying in a plane from here to China or here to India for a four-point game. That's not what we're paying you to do'," Kennett said.

"I don't even like them going overseas for exhibition games. I've said no to that as well. If they want to go to Europe, well then they're paid well enough, go on holiday.

"But don't go and put yourselves at risk (in an overseas game). This is a serious business."

Kennett said the Hawks would never play an overseas game under his watch, saying he was not prepared to jeopardise Hawthorn's primary goal of winning premierships.

"I don't like the idea that when we're paid to try and win a premiership you therefore put your players in planes to travel miles into a foreign environment to play a game of football. How can you properly prepare a team for a match when they spend 24 hours on the plane before they go there?" he said.

"We have obligations to our 80,000 members, or whatever it is, and that is to do whatever we can to win a premiership, and that's not playing in China, not playing in India.

"My job, the board's job, is to play the game seriously in the environment in which it lives. It will never live in India, it will never live in China. It's just an absolute waste of time and money.

"The AFL should be focused on what it does well and why it was established, which was to oversee the operation of the code here in Australia."

Glad Jeff doesn’t want us involved in the sideshow that is playing games overseas.

Clubs that are desperate to become relevant are the only ones interested in it.
The Saints went to Wellington, failed.
Port Adelaide going to China, won’t work, last year was a sideshow that people had a look at for something different, watch the attendance drop off over the next few years.
Then * are considering playing in India, those cheats will do anything to try & rebuild their tarnished brand, let them play in India while that old crack pot Sheedy spruiks how good for the game it’ll be. That will fail miserably aswell.

As Jeff said, we are focused on winning flags.

He's nailed it.

AFL: Let's spend tens of millions of dollars on growing the game in an area that will never give a *, even if we give them a great team on a silver platter!

Tasmanian footy: Hey could we have a tiny bit of help?

AFL: Let's grow the game in India and China!

Tasmanian footy: Hi?

He's nailed it.

AFL: Let's spend tens of millions of dollars on growing the game in an area that will never give a ****, even if we give them a great team on a silver platter!

Even if you take out the reference to Tasmania it still works.

Sending clubs over to India makes no sense whatsoever.

Glad we’re not interested in it.

Even if you take out the reference to Tasmania it still works.

Sending clubs over to India makes no sense whatsoever.

Glad we’re not interested in it.

Titus summed it up well also:

You're right - there are so many better places to grow the game in regions who already love it (Northern Territory, Tassie, Riverina, Cairns - any number of grass roots initiatives that could be used in regional Australia) - India never took to soccer despite being a British colony, I am not sure why the AFL thinks it will grow there.

Aussie Rules is a great native sport - and I for one don't give the slightest of a damn that it's not international. Rugby folk can smugly talk about their international games - but at the end of the day nobody cares if Argentina beats Japan in intentional Rugby. Not even in Argentina or Japan. You have two regions where you have tried to grow the game and it is failing miserably - why the hell would you go looking into China and India when the Swans still can't stand on their own two feet after 36 years.

Thank goodness Jeff is taking a hard pass.

Just about everyone trying to make money looks at the number of people in China and India, and thinks, hey if I could sell stuff there I could get more rich, AFL no different

India and China is where the money trail lies.
AFL couldn’t give a stuff about Tassie.
Why then do they spoonfeed GWS & GC in areas that don’t give a toss about footy? Sydney and Gold Coast have more international appeal and visitors than Melbourne?

India and China is where the money trail lies.
AFL couldn’t give a stuff about Tassie.
Why then do they spoonfeed GWS & GC in areas that don’t give a toss about footy? Sydney and Gold Coast have more international appeal and visitors than Melbourne?

I think Melbourne has more international appeal than Blacktown though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why Jeff is brilliant for the club... Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of Tassie I know why he advocates it.
What's not to like about Tassie, the most beautiful state in the country.

If you are talking about the Tassie sponsorship of our club then that's different, although I would also argue it's been fantastic for our club.

I have been a member way way way before the Hawks came to Tassie and I think it's been a win/win deal.

I love how Jeff goes into bat not only for our club but Tassie.

Last edited:
This is why Jeff is brilliant for the club... Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of Tassie I know why he advocates it.

There are plenty of pros and cons with Tassie. However, without their sponsorship, I doubt we would even be looking at a massive project like Dingley. Sometimes, in live, we have to accept small personal disappointments, for the benefit of the larger picture. In my opinion, for many Hawk supporters, this is one of those times.

He's nailed it.

AFL: Let's spend tens of millions of dollars on growing the game in an area that will never give a ****, even if we give them a great team on a silver platter!

This whole thing makes me very sad, whilst Tasmania is small, it is extremely passionate - the North and North-West in particular are full of die-hard AFL towns - cricket in summer, football in winter; with no thought given to emerging sports like soccer, hockey, slam poetry etc.

To see the AFL so blatantly turn its back on a place like this really typifies the commercial mentality, without acknowledging that it's these types of communities that embedded AFL in our culture such that it CAN be leveraged commercially. If the AFL keep loading up the top end of the organisation, it's going to get too heavy and tip over, unless they go back and strengthen the foundation!

I just noticed Jeff is a couple of years younger than Donald Trump

Makes you think.

Happy Dingley isnt going bad by the way

PS wouldnt be surprised if we did play a game overseas (and I dont mean tassie)

Happy Dingley isnt going bad by the way ???

I don't get what you mean ?

Makes you think.

Happy Dingley isnt going bad by the way

About what?

When are the rest of the world going to wake up and understand that there is no money to be made taking anything to China to be produced. Sure this is a little off topic but China make a massive fortune out of international companies being based there and not the other way around, so many companies that thought there was a fortune to be made out of China are realising that it is China that is making the bulk of the profits off there brand are starting to pull out.

The Chinese government has only just stated recently that it wants to become a world super power in the round ball code of soccer both domestically and internationally, investing Billions not Millions to do so through an act of its parliaments treasury to ensure this happens. It will be a destination league for international soccer stars sooner than we all think.

Why the AFL think that China is going to give up a very small slice of the sporting landscape dollar at no cost to the AFL so as we can make some inroads and and profit in there backyard if just fanciful. There is no dollar or profit to be made by the AFL in China, China only exist to see China grow rich.

Gee I'm glad we have Jeff to see what the AFL doesn't in time like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back