Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'll be interested to hear what supporters on here think of his tenure, what he accomplished, whether he was the savior that was expected, or if he was just a good re-direct at a time that had many Hawks panicking over some questionable press.
Did he produce a beneficial relationship to maximize our opportunities in business, within the AFL, with our players and staff in retention or recruitment, amongst our peers at other clubs to move an agenda we could coalesce power around, success on the field...etc.?

I'm open to genuine discussion if that is even possible, and willing to incorporate other posters thinking into my own where they make sense.
Or, some bums on here could just decide to throw poo at me like monkeys at the zoo for even wondering it aloud.

Last edited:

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'll be interested to hear what supporters on here think of his tenure, what he accomplished, whether he was the savior that was expected, or if he was just a good re-direct at a time that had many Hawks panicking over some questionable press.
Did he produce a beneficial relationship to maximize our opportunities in business, within the AFL, with our players and staff in retention or recruitment, amongst our peers at other clubs to move an agenda we could coalesce power around, success on the field...etc.?

I'm open to genuine discussion if that is even possible, and willing to incorporate other posters thinking into my own where they make sense.
Or, some bums on here could just decide to throw poo at me like monkeys at the zoo for even wondering it aloud.

The club leadership at the board level was in disarray. A CEO hire was a dud. The AFLW pitch was fluffed. The board was uninspiring.

He arrived and put a very firm hand on the tiller, steadied the ship, brought in an experienced CEO, disappeared the drift and aimless movement, focussed the women's program on excellence, got Dingley focused.

Pretty much did exactly what he promised. And said he would stay no longer than one term, three years, giving up the chair after only two years (as this story goes yesterday). My biggest concern is that he would be a two termer again, not letting go. But if he can give us another Newbold quality president then Jeff will have undoubtedly done more for the club than almost anyone but Clarko or Kennedy. Maybe Scott.

The club leadership at the board level was in disarray. A CEO hire was a dud. The AFLW pitch was fluffed. The board was uninspiring.

He arrived and put a very firm hand on the tiller, steadied the ship, brought in an experienced CEO, disappeared the drift and aimless movement, focussed the women's program on excellence, got Dingley focused.

Pretty much did exactly what he promised. And said he would stay no longer than one term, three years, giving up the chair after only two years (as this story goes yesterday). My biggest concern is that he would be a two termer again, not letting go. But if he can give us another Newbold quality president then Jeff will have undoubtedly done more for the club than almost anyone but Clarko or Kennedy. Maybe Scott.

Needs more Dicker.

If the successor is there, then no reason for him to stay.

I thought it was going to be Radek Sali

Did you read the article? He essentially said this. If the next president is on the current board he will end his term early. If not he sees it through. If Sali is to be the next President then having the transition now a month out from the season starting wouldn't exactly be optimal timing. End of the year would make more sense and allow for the vote at the AGM in December.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Soooo, none of the things I referenced, except the Reeves hire? How do you know any of the things you're describing, like steadied the ship, disappeared the drift and aimless movement, got dingley focussed, focussed on women's program on excellence? Without being inside the board room or hearing from other board members how well Jeff has done those things, those are just 'feel' stuff people say because it's their horse that's doing the running.
We already had the Dingley project well underway, and there's zero evidence the Prez has done anything at all to move it forward or improve what we are getting out of it.
The women's team were once again overlooked for a spot in the national comp, this time on Jeff's watch. North got it in...wowsers.
And giving us a Newbold next president elevates him into the Pantheon of achieving SO very much he's amongst the legends of the club? That's crazy talk to me.

Kennett has been brilliant, many decisions made before he came back where inept, he has brought leadership and direction back to the club it's as simple as that.

What were the many decisions that were inept?
What direction are we headed in now that we weren't before?
Again, you like the silks of this jockey so you'll back him every race regardless of the horse and HOW he rode to be better than all the other jockeys.
Yet to read anything of substance.

Did you read the article? He essentially said this. If the next president is on the current board he will end his term early. If not he sees it through. If Sali is to be the next President then having the transition now a month out from the season starting wouldn't exactly be optimal timing. End of the year would make more sense and allow for the vote at the AGM in December.
Yes I read, settle.
Agree with Jeff on all counts. 12 months with his successor and handover at the AGM would be optimal result.

Soooo, none of the things I referenced, except the Reeves hire? How do you know any of the things you're describing, like steadied the ship, disappeared the drift and aimless movement, got dingley focussed, focussed on women's program on excellence? Without being inside the board room or hearing from other board members how well Jeff has done those things, those are just 'feel' stuff people say because it's their horse that's doing the running.
We already had the Dingley project well underway, and there's zero evidence the Prez has done anything at all to move it forward or improve what we are getting out of it.
The women's team were once again overlooked for a spot in the national comp, this time on Jeff's watch. North got it in...wowsers.
And giving us a Newbold next president elevates him into the Pantheon of achieving SO very much he's amongst the legends of the club? That's crazy talk to me.

Again, you like the silks of this jockey so you'll back him every race regardless of the horse and HOW he rode to be better than all the other jockeys.
Looks and reads like you want to hear peoples opinions on the matter only so you can shoot them down.
Perhaps if you want the substance you seek, ask the board directly.
BF gonna BF and you know it

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Huh? Your challenge: "I'll be interested to hear what supporters on here think of his tenure, what he accomplished, whether he was the savior that was expected, or if he was just a good re-direct at a time that had many Hawks panicking over some questionable press."

My answer: Was my opinion. Otherwise known as "what a supporter on here think(s) of his tenure."

Your response: Other than the fact-based stuff, none of it was from inside the boardroom so it's just what I think.

If you don't want an opinion then don't ask for it. If you want inside scoop then ask for that. If you just want an argument then make that clear so I don't waste my time.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From what I can see, the thing that has changed for the better mostly in his tenure is the state of the playing list.
I think clearly we have managed to replenish some real quality and skill when some of our very best were about to be gone.
Has he played any role in that, player recruitment or retention? It happens alot here in the States that good owners and CEO's can make a huge difference to the players that want to come and don the jersey.
I've never heard any players or staff make mention but that would be a significant addition he'd contributed to...

If the Tassie situation had been more successfully managed, that Jeff had enough of a great relationship with the AFL OR Tassie government that there was some occasional gushing over our enormous contributions and either a commitment to us one way or another, I'd call that good/great governance. My impression from afar, just a guess, is that none of the other actors in this play have a high opinion and good working relationship with our President and it's more nails across chalkboard to get things done with us than a greased pole.

With our history, of players and winning, and enormous following - I reckon financially and in a business sense we should be the Man U/Man City/Liverpool of Australian sports. IMHO we should have twice the sponsorships than the next best here in Melbourne (the other State teams have a primo advertising position they can leverage) and the Mayor of Kingston should be falling over herself to bring us in to the area. Instead, her words convey a 'sure, let's hear what you've got to say - it needs to be good - and we'll go from there'....hardly effervescent.

Feel free to contradict, but watching and listening to Clarko I reckon he feels like he gets it done INSPITE of Kennett's blurts and blusters. I seen no great love, no enormous respect for the Pres's intelect or instincts. They tolerate eachother because they both think it serves no purpose to cause bad press and because Jeff has come to understand that his earlier instinct to immediately move on our greatest coach because of less than instantaneous results was flawed and not applicable to a sporting situ. Read the stability of San Antonio Spurs. They're great because they ride out the vagaries of form and drafts and free agency to maintain systems and coaches that prove successful.

I'm hoping Reeves is the brilliant hire some on here think. So far, we have Jefferey telling us how clever he was to pry him from Geelong, and a vague article at the time that the Catters were unhappy to lose him. Does he have brilliant man management skills? Hope so, his oratory at public events has been less than amazing from the parts that get reported.

As a club, it feels like were striking out on a more assured course over this time round with the Prez.
How much is that we like the new recruits who actually play, and how much is what he's contributed with his emails and actions?

I hope at some stage we hear from people inside the club, whether that's Clarko or board members or general rank and file staff that Jeff has earned those stripes he wears on his jacket so proudly.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looks and reads like you want to hear peoples opinions on the matter only so you can shoot them down.
Perhaps if you want the substance you seek, ask the board directly.
BF gonna BF and you know it

Oh, you want me to ask for opinions and then shut up and just adopt them - rather than have a back and forth discussion on a discussion board for why they feel the way they feel?
More fun to go with more words and get more back, in my opinion.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Huh? Your challenge: "I'll be interested to hear what supporters on here think of his tenure, what he accomplished, whether he was the savior that was expected, or if he was just a good re-direct at a time that had many Hawks panicking over some questionable press."

My answer: Was my opinion. Otherwise known as "what a supporter on here think(s) of his tenure."

Your response: Other than the fact-based stuff, none of it was from inside the boardroom so it's just what I think.

If you don't want an opinion then don't ask for it. If you want inside scoop then ask for that. If you just want an argument then make that clear so I don't waste my time.

I was hoping you'd know stuff I didn't...so facts and activities I was unaware of.
Sorry I wasted your time.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm reaching out to Tige. He's usually good for some honest opinion/belief minus the titchy/personal beef.

I know you're a fan tige19 and thought he be a terrific replacement well before he arrived....what has Jeff done specifically you've noticed in his time with us that might be easily seen?

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm reaching out to Tige. He's usually good for some honest opinion/belief minus the titchy/personal beef.

I know you're a fan tige19 and thought he be a terrific replacement well before he arrived....what has Jeff done specifically you've noticed in his time with us that might be easily seen?

Thanks for the genuine engagement, I don't mind responding when rebuttals are made and the opposing poster doesn't become personal.

Well in terms of key decisions whist Jeffrey has come back:

- Justin Reeves has been the most notable and important hiring, this was an appointment that Jeff would have been both active in and directive in. Justin holds the most important role in this footy club, the fact he was sounded out to be apart of the competition committee board says a lot about how highly regarded he is. The CEO role was one that left the club open to be directionless, both on-field and off-field, Justin is the link between the footy department-the board-the club and it's supporters and thus far has been a brilliant acquisition.

- The Dingley project seemed (from the outside) like it was loitering before Jeff came back, there was no transparency to members, no clear direction that we where aware of, since Jeff has come back we understand the time lines, how the purchase was funded and how the development is being designed.

- Clarko has resigned.... This in itself speaks volumes of how much impact Jeff has had at the club, Clarko has publicly stated that he Jeff catch up regularly and discuss all matters club related, if Jeff wasn't seen as a good operator then Clarko simply doesn't commit long term.

The AFLW failures is a blip, but to be honest I have no interest in the comp so it does not bother me the slightest.

Jeff's second reign as I see it:

Pros

Oversaw the appointment of Justin Reeves - a sensational appointment that has steadied the ship and mostly erased the bitter taste of the dismal failure that was the Gaudry appointment. Reeves was likely the successor CEO at Geelong so the side benefit is that we upset the GFC as part of his appointment. Win-win!

Has overseen a replacement of directors with well-credentialed and well-respected Hawthorn people. Sali and Shearer are shrewd appointments, particularly with Sali's focus to secure funding for Dingley as well as potentially replace poker machine revenues. Will these yield results - we will need to wait and see. However the calibre of appointments is impressive.

Has been dedicated to making our women's side not a token effort but a fully-fledged team with a focus on winning. In their inaugural year under the Hawthorn banner our VWFL side won a premiership. The lack of admission into the AFLW has a lot more to do with AFL politics (preferences given to minnow teams and Norf getting preferential treatment regarding Tasmania) than us not taking women's football seriously - as had been the case with Gaudry's botched effort in 2017.

Graham Wright has been given more responsibility and has therefore been embedded into the organisation than he was previously. This will hopefully have Wrighty in the brown and gold for many more years to come at a time where we have lost other crucial staff members.

Despite the loud chicken little voices crying that Clarko would be forced out by Kennett - the absolute opposite has happened and we have re-signed the great man once more. In addition to this the master-coach in waiting has returned home and rather than his excellent footballing brain being used against us elsewhere - Sam Mitchell is now back where he belongs.

Members and supporters have had a voice and have been heard. Jeff's attention was sought on the return of the number 1 guernsey - once that attention was captured the guernsey has rightfully been returned to the playing group in the most deserving way possible with young Harry Morrison getting it.

The AFL knows where we stand regarding Tasmania and are sufficiently on notice that any removal of our presence there would need to be repaid in turn.

Neutral

Dingley seems to be humming along - albeit with not a lot of updates. The naming of the facility as the Kennedy Community Centre was inspired.

Sponsorship seems to be as it always was. Audi was always going to depart once Jeff asked for certain board resignations - but Nissan is an adequate replacement. The finances of the club have been relatively steady - which is quite impressive when we have been coming off sugar-hit years when premiership merchandise and prize money helps bolster the bottom line.

Cons

At times Jeff is fond of probably overstepping a tiny bit in the press and venturing into 'probably shouldn't have said that' territory. So long as we don't lose multiple games in a row to Geelong as a result of these statements I can live with them.

Overall - the club is in better shape now than it was in late 2017. For that I am thankful for all those concerned including Jeff.

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
None of us will ever likely know the inner workings so we can only go on what is out in the public domain & perception.

I feel more confident in our direction post Garvey. The appointment of Gaudry & her subsequent departure was confirmation to me that we were & had been on the wrong path.

I for one welcome Jeff's letters - they usually always address the issues I want to know & hear about.

Members and supporters have had a voice and have been heard. Jeff's attention was sought on the return of the number 1 guernsey - once that attention was captured the guernsey has rightfully been returned to the playing group in the most deserving way possible with young Harry Morrison getting it.
This reminds me Jeff also got rid of clash guernsies (pathetic marketing ploy used by most clubs) citing something along the lines of 'there is no white at Hawthorn as it means surrender', or something like that.

Anyway, bottom line is there's no way we'll ever be wearing a crap alternate guernsey come Grand Final day, unlike what Richmond had to do in 2017. To me, that's huge.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ahhh yes and very nicely put indeed. You stick to rhetoric and I'll stick with the truth, ok?

Ahhh yes, were so lucky to have you and your truth telling.
Any chance you have something useful to add to the discussion, more in line with other recent posters?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back