Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Soooo, none of the things I referenced, except the Reeves hire? How do you know any of the things you're describing, like steadied the ship, disappeared the drift and aimless movement, got dingley focussed, focussed on women's program on excellence? Without being inside the board room or hearing from other board members how well Jeff has done those things, those are just 'feel' stuff people say because it's their horse that's doing the running.
We already had the Dingley project well underway, and there's zero evidence the Prez has done anything at all to move it forward or improve what we are getting out of it.
The women's team were once again overlooked for a spot in the national comp, this time on Jeff's watch. North got it in...wowsers.
And giving us a Newbold next president elevates him into the Pantheon of achieving SO very much he's amongst the legends of the club? That's crazy talk to me.

What were the many decisions that were inept?
What direction are we headed in now that we weren't before?
Again, you like the silks of this jockey so you'll back him every race regardless of the horse and HOW he rode to be better than all the other jockeys.
Yet to read anything of substance.
Well when it comes to jockeys, rules don't back Craig Williams from an inside draw because he won't take an inside run unless the horse drags him into it or a gap opens for him that you could drive a mack truck through, sleeps with lights on and never back H. Bowmen whilst Winks is in work , he won't take a risk and who could blame him.
Now back to Jeff.:p.

Ahhh yes, were so lucky to have you and your truth telling.
Any chance you have something useful to add to the discussion, more in line with other recent posters?
I thought you might take this alienating line with me but I wasn't expecting you to be condescending so fwiw and I'm not sure if this is useful but I feel that Kennett has been ok.

If we don't hear from the dude we complain, if we hear we shoot from the hip.. if we cross boundaries we cross the street, and then
.... it aint worth complaining about... The board is what we need to watch from here on in...

Letter to HFC Members Monday 13th May 2019.

Dear members,

Sorry about the delay in writing to you. It has been a busy time, but that is no excuse.

Firstly, the club remains in good shape but is not without its challenges either, some of which I will touch on later.

On the playing field it has been a scrappy start to the year and we now find ourselves with four wins and four losses, sitting 9th on the ladder.

Regardless of what we think about any wins or losses to date, they are now history and where we finish at the end of the year is entirely in our own hands.

Suffice to say yesterday’s game against GWS exhibited four quarters of spirit and grit that we have come to expect at Hawthorn.

As always, we now turn our focus to the next game, which this week is against Richmond on, guess what day, Sunday 3.20pm at the MCG.

Our VFL team drew against Footscray on Sunday and our VFLW team were beaten by the NT Thunder who I believe had eight AFLW players in their team to our none. No excuses, but we were still pretty chuffed with the way our girls played, on the day they unfurled their 2018 Premiership flag.

Gold-1px-rule.gif

Off the field, Labor announced their support for the development of the Kennedy Community Centre at Dingley, to the tune of $20m. I want to personally thank Mark Dreyfus, the local member for Isaacs, the area in which our facility will be built, and Shadow Attorney General for his advocacy of this development, and Anthony Albanese, the Shadow Minister for Infrastructure, for his commitment to the project.

I also want to congratulate our team on their work in securing this commitment, and also in building the corpus and pledges we are receiving from our supporters for this project.

Gold-1px-rule.gif

You may have seen some coverage over the past 24 hours about the attendance at yesterday’s game against GWS.

I consider the 3.20/4.40pm Sunday afternoon timeslots for an AFL game to be the death knell slot of the week.

It can only be scheduled for television. Certainly not for members and families wanting to attend the game. Firstly, it is the evening before the start of the week. It finishes so late that it is inconvenient for anyone to attend unless they live close to the ground. The game finishes in the dark, and as we go further into winter becomes cold and uncomfortable.

To put things in perspective the AFL in their wisdom have allocated Hawthorn eight Sunday games this year. Over one third of all games we play!

Five are our home games, against Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Carlton in Tassie, GWS and the Gold Coast. Three are away games against St Kilda, Richmond and Geelong.

This year the AFL’s scheduling will cost our club revenue line between $500,000 and $1,000,000.

It seems a tough draw given our success as a club over the past decade.

Worse of course, to schedule any game on Mother’s Day is to further ignore that so many families celebrate Mother’s Day with and at family gatherings.

Hawthorn is proudly the family club, and families must always come first at Hawthorn. I am surprised so many were in attendance yesterday and I thank you for making the effort to attend on such a special day!

Some today have suggested I should issue a call to arms to get our members to games. My response is if the AFL continue to schedule games as the sun sets on a Sunday afternoon, the AFL gets what it deserves, as yet another club becomes less financially secure.

I can’t help but think they must sit around the table at the AFL trying to think of ways to weaken our club. Or is it just part of their continuing campaign to drive us out of Tasmania?

Gold-1px-rule.gif

For now, onwards and upwards! To the MCG next Sunday for another game, this one an away game against Richmond at 3.20pm. And guess what? At least it is not Mother’s Day!

Cheers,

Jeff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling them out on their tactics to make us bow to their will regarding Tasmania.

More of that please. * them.

Big * you to the AFL from the Hawthorn FC

Good on ya Jeff
Not the path I thought you would go down - did think you would appeal to members and supporters but am rapt that you are calling the AFL out

Jeff's spot on about out Sunday fixture,we certainly get the rough end of the pineapple and all the Junior footy are played on Sunday's that also has a impact on crowd attendances.

AFL's love child Collingwood only get two Sunday games.

Thankyou Jeff for saying it as it is. The AFL are trying everything they can from fixturing to umpiring decisions. They don't want us strong...it is clear now..even after our president calls it out. The more they try the stronger our belief becomes. Clarkson is our rudder.

We wait and see

Hasn't that been the status quo since Jeff came in?
I would love it if presidential bluster and comeuppance to AFL leadership could be shown to have some benefit to the club, but i don't see it.
For many years, starting in the 70's, we talked behind closed doors to gain access to change that was club alteringly beneficial. And where it didn't work out - eg Princes Park - we managed to gain a new path by convincing those in charge to get behind our intiative.

I long for those times.
A verbal spanking laid out to the 'The Man' has such fleeting emotional sustenance, currying support to get what we really want fills the belly for much longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back