Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Being told to be mindful of whether I call something that I deem to be racist just to appease others.

You should of just straight up told me to get back in my lane.

IMO The standard you walk past is the standard you accept

Racial profiling is just observation. Got it.
My wife of 30 years is black, so I am very careful of walking past her in the street. Her PhD makes her all the more dangerous. I'm surprised I haven't been killed. What this person you are conversing with, sadly doesn't get is that when we enter a chemist, the faces of the people behind the counter switch. They suddenly nudge each other and gesture in our direction, and she is watched like a hawk. I was getting a loan for a car once, and had the forms in front of me when my wife and kids entered the bank after getting the kids shoes, they asked me how the loan application was progressing when the lady behind the teller suddenly walked towards the back, opened a door and then came back and said I reviewed your details with the manager, and we don't think your income profile can support the loan. The only thing that had changed was the presence of my wife and children (while I am indigenous, I don't appear to be). The bank by the way was the Bendigo bank. We went two doors down to the commonwealth bank and they approved the loan within 5 minutes.

People like this make the world a much less safe one for everyone else and they think it is the other way around.

It called observation, we all make observations all of the time, sometimes our general observations keep us safe at night when walking home from a pub and staying away from certain groups on our travels, those observations from time to time get us home at night.

I'll say what others have said, we get the gist of what he was saying, in general he was right in what he said. The message was articulated poorly and become fodder for those whom carry and race card at every turn. Screech!!!! For those playing the card constantly, play it wisely, pick your target carefully, ask if this particular issue furthering your cause or creating ambivalence to it, is the constant din creating awareness or resistance. Is playing the card about the cause or the debate/argument.

A a reworded statement of what Jeff was meaning to say with out the general observation would have looked like a Pulitzer prize winning essay on PC hogwash.

Yeah. When Jeff apologised to members, part of that was for giving Gil wriggle room

My wife of 30 years is black, so I am very careful of walking past her in the street. Her PhD makes her all the more dangerous. I'm surprised I haven't been killed. What this imbecile you are conversing with, sadly doesn't get is that when we enter a chemist, the faces of the people behind the counter switch. They suddenly nudge each other and gesture in our direction, and she is watched like a hawk. I was getting a loan for a car once, and had the forms in front of me when my wife and kids entered the bank after getting the kids shoes, they asked me how the loan application was progressing when the lady behind the teller suddenly walked towards the back, opened a door and then came back and said I reviewed your details with the manager, and we don't think your income profile can support the loan. The only thing that had changed was the presence of my wife and children (while I am indigenous, I don't appear to be). The bank by the way was the Bendigo bank. We went two doors down to the commonwealth bank and they approved the loan within 5 minutes.

Cretins like the bigot you are conversing with in this thread whom I ignored ages ago, and sadly you don't have that luxury, make the world a much less safe one for everyone else and they think it is the other way around.
My world is good, enjoy solving your problems.
If you are going to have me in ignore, resist the urge to comment and name call.

You really are too much fun grumbleguts.

If you read my post you will see that I haven't played a race card. You have.

Do you have any opinions on footy, I see a lot of put downs and moans about umpires or are you so busy saving the world that treats you so bad with your PhDs.

My world is good, enjoy solving your problems.
If you are going to have me in ignore, resist the urge to comment and name call.

You really are too much fun grumbleguts.

If you read my post you will see that I haven't played a race card. You have.

Do you have any opinions on footy, I see a lot of put downs and moans about umpires or are you so busy saving the world that treats you so bad with your PhDs.

No, instead you told us to learn to pick our battles so that we don’t get people offside.

Some people live racism every single moment of the day and long gone are the days where we get told to be quiet. You don’t get to determine what is racist or what isn’t.

No, instead you told us to learn to pick our battles so that we don’t get people offside.

Some people live racism every single moment of the day and long gone are the days where we get told to be quiet. You don’t get to determine what is racist or what isn’t.
Yep I said that if its the message that is important then picking your battles is as said important. If it is important to you and others to call out absolutely every case of racism how every intended or unintended, then is of my opinion that the message gets lost in those you hope to change.

Sorry if you and others don't agree.

I find that lasting change occurs when people are encouraged to come along for the process and not told you must change or you are wrong.

I see your point. Have taken it onboard.:thumbsu:

Yep I said that if its the message that is important then picking your battles is as said important. If it is important to you and others to call out absolutely every case of racism how every intended or unintended, then is of my opinion that the message gets lost in those you hope to change.

Sorry if you and others don't agree.

I find that lasting change occurs when people are encouraged to come along for the process and not told you must change or you are wrong.

I see your point. Have taken it onboard.:thumbsu:

If it’s not called every single time then your not being made aware - that may annoy you but not as much as a racist act or comment impacts on the person on the receiving end.

Change has apparently been coming along now for more than 150 years - seems there’s a lot of slow learners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You lot have no idea what bigotry is. I'm genuinely amused by your hypersensitivity on my behalf. Go ahead and pat yourselves on the backs for swatting at gnats.

You lot have no idea what bigotry is. I'm genuinely amused by your hypersensitivity on my behalf. Go ahead and pat yourselves on the backs for swatting at gnats.

Ellen Pompeo, the star of the TV show Grey’s Anatomy, was attacked in late 2016 as ‘racist’ for using dark-skinned emojis. Shes married to a black man with two bi racial kids. The term has become woolley. Racism now carries with it the stink of bias against groups unrelated to race, like the disabled, gays, Muslims and new arrivals. It is a horrible label to wield willy nilly but thats whats been happening for a while now, much like bigot.

Its used to attack character now, substituting for proper argument, ‘racist’ has become a cheap shot — a crafty but below-the-belt putdown that frequently reduces to ‘I disagree with you’ or ‘I don’t like your face’. The term racist is well on its way to losing its meaning. Its getting bandied around about as much as 'w***er' used to in the school playground.

Last edited:
Jeff just said in the same interview he is likely to continue as president for another year.

The progress of Kennett's agenda since his return hasn't been swift.

I give him a tick for Justin Reeves... but it is difficult to know exactly how involved he was in that decision given how swiftly it happened. Resigning Clarko was a given, but a tick.

My biggest worries with Kennett's agenda are:

- transitioning out of pokies
- the Kennedy Centre funds
- succession plan for president
- lobbying the AFL on Tasmania, on our fixture, on AFLW,
- embarrassing the club and confusing our identity with public statements and attacks

Not finding a presidential replacement is a big failure. Something must have gone wrong there. If he stays on beyond 2020 i will start to wonder.

The progress of Kennett's agenda since his return hasn't been swift.

I give him a tick for Justin Reeves... but it is difficult to know exactly how involved he was in that decision given how swiftly it happened. Resigning Clarko was a given, but a tick.

My biggest worries with Kennett's agenda are:

- transitioning out of pokies
- the Kennedy Centre funds
- succession plan for president
- lobbying the AFL on Tasmania, on our fixture, on AFLW,
- embarrassing the club and confusing our identity with public statements and attacks

Not finding a presidential replacement is a big failure. Something must have gone wrong there. If he stays on beyond 2020 i will start to wonder.
My intel is that Kennett had ‘t heard of Reeves but was recommended to him and he made the appointment straight away. Not sure how much credit he can take for that.

Entrenched racism isnt confined to the anglo folks

I never thought of myself as racist but accept I am at times when driving. Once upon a time it was Volvo drivers now its a race I always seem to get frustrated with. Anyway, that is something I can work on....

Has Jeff said something on our pokies or was that just Luv_our_club wishing he was doing something?

I never thought of myself as racist but accept I am at times when driving. Once upon a time it was Volvo drivers now its a race I always seem to get frustrated with. Anyway, that is something I can work on....

Has Jeff said something on our pokies or was that just Luv_our_club wishing he was doing something?

Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part, but the club appointed a board member or administrator with the title of "alternative revenue streams" around the time of the recent blow up over pokies. I wasn't the only person at that time (and now) that thinks the club is looking for ways to get out of pokies, but that is getting harder to imagine with the Kennedy Centre costs, the fragility around Tasmania and our fixture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back