Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Linda CRS

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very strong story doing the rounds that Jeff floated to Hawks coterie 3 weeks ago how would you feel if we played 7 in Tas and I could guarantee 10 games at the MCG. Question being would name b Hawthorn or Tas Hawks. The 5AA interview happened a week ago, seemingly that wasn’t spontaneous or posturing. I believed until now it was posturing, I’m an idiot but not as much as the President. Times up cos it’s about him not our club.

Very strong story doing the rounds that Jeff floated to Hawks coterie 3 weeks ago how would you feel if we played 7 in Tas and I could guarantee 10 games at the MCG. Question being would name b Hawthorn or Tas Hawks. The 5AA interview happened a week ago, seemingly that wasn’t spontaneous or posturing. I believed until now it was posturing, I’m an idiot but not as much as the President. Times up cos it’s about him not our club.
I liked this post, but only because I value the info.

I am however furious that this conversation about relocation is even being had.

Nang

Hawks Hammers
Oct 15, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jeff is always the first to claim we're supposedly '1 of only 4 clubs who don't rely on AFL handouts to turn a profit'. We also have a top 5 membership base in the league, plus a $100mill facility imminently being built in Dingley, which just so happens to be a suburb of Melbourne. So why is he all of a sudden suggesting outlandish relocation claims and club eroding proposals to make more money?

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jeff is always the first to claim we're supposedly '1 of only 4 clubs who don't rely on AFL handouts to turn a profit'. We also have a top 5 membership base in the league, plus a $100mill facility imminently being built in Dingley, which just so happens to be a suburb of Melbourne. So why is he all of a sudden suggesting outlandish relocation claims and club eroding proposals to make more money?

I mean tbh he has made one dip s**t comment on an Adelaide radio station

The rest is just speculation

Although it can’t hurt to bombard the board and ceo with emails :)

Nang

Hawks Hammers
Oct 15, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I mean tbh he has made one dip sh*t comment on an Adelaide radio station

The rest is just speculation

Although it can’t hurt to bombard the board and ceo with emails :)
Keep emailing and calling them, make our voices heard. The board are simply temporary custodians of the club. Us members have been with Hawthorn long before they came and we'll still be with Hawthorn long after those who currently run it have left.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Attendances in tassie have been falling for years. They know the AFL send the off Broadway games there. Jeff spent club money increasing the capacity of the ground which has never been used

These are facts

Jeff is simply 😍😍😍😍 over tassie and it’s not rational

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I liked this post, but only because I value the info.

I am however furious that this conversation about relocation is even being had.

They seriously discussed the Gold Coast ‘opportunity’ too back in that time. Even though we were already up to 4 games in tassie don’t rule out some other stupid games relocation too.

It seems to me Jeff is banking on hawks fans hatred of docklands. It really could be a choice between Jeff and docklands (ironically premier Jeff was key to docklands getting going, hindsight revealing his govt botched the ‘docklands precinct’ too)

Jeff or Docklands. Easy choice for me

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Time for Jeff to go. He has lost sight of what the objective is and is chasing headlines. There is no way he can guarantee 10 mcg games. There is no way he can guarantee a lot of things. We lose a lot of control over our own destiny in that proposal. It is hubris.

Aug 11, 2013
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona
Clarko has other views on the number of teams we should have and where we should be playing.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/551394/why-stop-at-tassie-clarko-s-dream-for-a-20-team-comp
"In the meantime, Tassie hasn't got a team (and we say), 'How can we help Tasmania service that great need that they've got, the passionate supporters down there, that want to see AFL product in their state?'

"Hawthorn's been doing that for the best part of 20 years (since 2001)....."

Is there another Victorian-based team that has done the "AFL-promotion" hard-yakka whilst being the best on-field team and well-managed club during that period? In my opinion, Hawthorn deserve more from AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2022 fixture I want to see 10 home games at the MCG and 1 Marvel home game. Another option would be 9 MCG home games and 2 home games at Marvel. That would make me very happy. Commercially, we would end up with a better fixture of games in Melbourne instead of the home games being so spread out. We’re the only Victorian club without back to back home games in Melbourne this year. :$

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Time for Jeff to go. He has lost sight of what the objective is and is chasing headlines. There is no way he can guarantee 10 mcg games. There is no way he can guarantee a lot of things. We lose a lot of control over our own destiny in that proposal. It is hubris.

Besides we seem to have forgotten that the we are already getting 9-12 MCG games anyway and the original intent of the 7/4 arrangement was at least 11 guaranteed home and away games at the MCG

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
It's an unpaid job. Bit early for Clarko to retire at 50 with no income.
Could they pay him for the mentoring role?
Or he could do an Eddie, he'd be a monty to pick up a highly paid TV commentating position. Bruce will probably be retired by then.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's an unpaid job. Bit early for Clarko to retire at 50 with no income.

Put him in as CEO then!

Doesn’t he already have an MBA to go with his BEd and Harvard Management Course.

That would make him more qualified than the majority of AFL CEO’s and President’s

A clear step up from the incumbent Humphrey B Bear anyway

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s pretty pathetic, it must be said, that it took the Senior Coach of the football club to talk out against the ‘art of the deal’ president.

CEO? Forget it!

The clubs commercial leadership is completely inept bordering on farcical
No chance Reeves was gonna challenge Jeff publicly. None.

Clarko's contract ends 2022. Jeff's term ends in 2023. Sam will have had 2 years in charge at Box Hill. I like it.
He could also mentor Sam.

There seems to be a total conviction from posters in this board that Sam is already anointed and will be the best coach ever.

Whilst I hope this is true, there are many favorite sons from all clubs who didn't make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back