Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

There seems to be a total conviction from posters in this board that Sam is already anointed and will be the best coach ever.

Whilst I hope this is true, there are many favorite sons from all clubs who didn't make it.

Share your reservation with former favourite sons as it is a very hit or miss strategy. Mitchell is apparently very well regarded however and his footy IQ is off the charts - the buzz seems to exist outside this club so I’ve a bit more faith this time. I think watching Box Hill the next two seasons will be a bit of a guide as to whether we should be happy or worried.

They seriously discussed the Gold Coast ‘opportunity’ too back in that time. Even though we were already up to 4 games in tassie don’t rule out some other stupid games relocation too.

It seems to me Jeff is banking on hawks fans hatred of docklands. It really could be a choice between Jeff and docklands (ironically premier Jeff was key to docklands getting going, hindsight revealing his govt botched the ‘docklands precinct’ too)

Jeff or Docklands. Easy choice for me
I don’t know what docklands has to do with anything. Our home ground is the G.

Nonetheless, if hawks supporters want to nip it in the bud, I hope we start turning up in droves to the G as soon as we can.

Nonetheless, if hawks supporters want to nip it in the bud, I hope we start turning up in droves to the G as soon as we can.

We’re not worthy, only Jeff wants to lead us. We should be arrogant on the outside dammit

I still don’t understand why this anti Docklands myth stands

Hawthorn Docklands home games since 2006

Round 13 2013 Haw v WCE 32,527
Round 21 2015 Haw v PA 28,587
Round 23 2017 Haw v WB 48,090
Round 10 2018 Haw v WCE 28,070
Round 22 2019 Haw v GC 31,331

This isn’t 2000 or 2001 anymore where our games against Fremantle drew 16,000 or so (16004 and 16575 in 2000 and 2001

In fact, our Docklands home crowds stand firmly alongside the MCG co-tenants (Coll and Rich) who also play home games at Docklands.

The reason we branched out to Tasmania in the first place (last page) was due to the economics of Docklands home games - in addition to our lower crowds.

Today our floor crowd (28,000) is almost double 2000 and the economics of playing games at Docklands are a lot more generous than 2000.

Our MCG home and away average between 2010 and 2019 was 52,000 so it’s not like our Melbourne crowds are a liability

Crowd stats aside - my anti-Docklnds stance comes from it being a horribly stale place to watch footy. That ground has no soul, is like cement for the players and that hollow echo it has when it’s not completely full. I hate the place.

Hawthorn Docklands home games since 2006

Round 13 2013 Haw v WCE 32,527
Round 21 2015 Haw v PA 28,587
Round 23 2017 Haw v WB 48,090
Round 10 2018 Haw v WCE 28,070
Round 22 2019 Haw v GC 31,331

This isn’t 2000 or 2001 anymore where our games against Fremantle drew 16,000 or so (16004 and 16575 in 2000 and 2001

In fact, our Docklands home crowds stand firmly alongside the MCG co-tenants (Coll and Rich) who also play home games at Docklands.

The reason we branched out to Tasmania in the first place (last page) was due to the economics of Docklands home games - in addition to our lower crowds.

Today our floor crowd (28,000) is almost double 2000 and the economics of playing games at Docklands are a lot more generous than 2000.

Our MCG home and away average between 2010 and 2019 was 52,000 so it’s not like our Melbourne crowds are a liability
Bulldogs 2017 and Suns 2019 Docklands crowds were artificially boosted because they were Hodge’s last game (or so we thought at the time) and Roughy’s last game respectively.

Bulldogs 2017 and Suns 2019 Docklands crowds were artificially boosted because they were Hodge’s last game (or so we thought at the time) and Roughy’s last game respectively.

Exactly

But the floor for our Docklands games is about 28000 (12000 more than 2000-01)

In addition the AFL have improved the stadium economics for AFL matches so we have the perfect storm of larger crowds and better stadium returns (the whole reason we went to Launceston in the first place)

Why are we still there?

Facts and figures quoted by Kennett haters demonstrate the just how wrong they are.
On any measure we have had an unbelievable period of on field and off field success.
Thanks to good leadership and good decision making.
Nothing or Nobody is perfect. Mistakes are made. But Hawthorn have done it better than all others.
Well done Dicker Newbold Kennett.
Can't help but think much of the criticism is political.

I like Clarko's response RE our future and not going to Tasmania, but I'm not sure the 20 team 20 round season is the best option.

Less rounds, less match ups against rival or big draw opponents, two additional teams that would struggle financially as a rule... it's a nice thought but it's not practical.

Facts and figures quoted by Kennett haters demonstrate the just how wrong they are.
On any measure we have had an unbelievable period of on field and off field success.
Nothing or Nobody is perfect. Mistakes are made. But Hawthorn have done it better than all others.
as is the support

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Clarko's response RE our future and not going to Tasmania, but I'm not sure the 20 team 20 round season is the best option.

Less rounds, less match ups against rival or big draw opponents, two additional teams that would struggle financially as a rule... it's a nice thought but it's not practical.
I see Clarko's suggestion for a 20-team competition as a slight deflection to the relocation talks. Not sure how serious AC is about the 20-team comp.

Exactly

But the floor for our Docklands games is about 28000 (12000 more than 2000-01)

In addition the AFL have improved the stadium economics for AFL matches so we have the perfect storm of larger crowds and better stadium returns (the whole reason we went to Launceston in the first place)

Why are we still there?
You're appearing to assume we went to Tassie because we couldn't get the right numbers at Docklands.

Pre playing in Tassie, we played 9 or 10 games at the G in 2000. The offer to go down there was so lucrative, much more extensive than numbers at the gate.

Nonetheless, I don't see why we wouldn't go back to the G arrangement.

Feel free to demonstrate why they are wrong.

The current version of Jeff is not the same guy when he started. He originally preached fixed president terms and governance - but then recently went against it.

While he always had a tendency to put his foot in it seems very desperate for relevance at present.

Everyone has their time - and I think Jeff’s time is up.

You're appearing to assume we went to Tassie because we couldn't get the right numbers at Docklands.

Pre playing in Tassie, we played 9 or 10 games at the G in 2000. The offer to go down there was so lucrative, much more extensive than numbers at the gate.

Nonetheless, I don't see why we wouldn't go back to the G arrangement.

Well according to Ian Dicker stadium economics at Colonel was the only reason we went down...

He referred to us again as the Tassie Hawks on RSN breakfast show, he's got to go.

He doesn't understand the emotional attachment of the proper fan and looks at it in too colder business man sense.

How is it possibly business sense for an 85000 member club to play 7 or 11 games in a region that has about 60000 people and draws about 12000 of them to a football match in a University tram yard?

It's an unpaid job. Bit early for Clarko to retire at 50 with no income.

He has many how many millions coaching?

Plus, which club presidents are involved in multi million dollar deals with the AFL, their state government, other club presidents, AFL commissioners, AFL executives, etc. ?

If any arent making millions they are doing it totally and utterly wrong.

Dockland has everything to do with it.
There is this myth that Hawk fans won't go to Marvel so it is better to play in Tasmania (or elsewhere) so we don't lose money.
If we cut Tassie (or vice versa) we would probably be 7/4 or at best 8/3 MCG/Marvel. So the choice is Tassie (Jeff) or Marvel.
We actually draw really well at Marvel.
30K at Marvel or 13K at Launceston? What is better?
I vote Marvel. Easily.

Let's be honest, if it's hypothetically round 15 and we're playing Gold Coast on a cold Saturday evening, would we rather that be in front of 5-10k at Tassie or 20-30k at Marvel? Marvel of course isn't the G, but I reckon as a supporter base we view it way too negatively at times. I have no problem playing 3 or 4 home games per year there instead of Tassie, particularly when it's freezing mid winter months, its a decent place and now the AFL own it it's no longer a money drainer.

How is it possibly business sense for an 85000 member club to play 7 or 11 games in a region that has about 60000 people and draws about 12000 of them to a football match in a University tram yard?

Well, simply......$$$$$

Well, prior to the AFL owning Marvel, a club would usually need a crowd of about 28,000 to break even at the ground.

Tassie were paying us a mint to go down there, plus we took all the takings from caterings and other little add ons.

I was told back then that 15,000 at Tassie earned the club the same money as 70,000 at the MCG.

Now that the AFL owns Marvel, the stadium deal will be greatly improved. This might be one reason for coming back to Marvel for those games.

Let's be honest, if it's hypothetically round 15 and we're playing Gold Coast on a cold Saturday evening, would we rather that be in front of 5-10k at Tassie or 20-30k at Marvel? Marvel of course isn't the G, but I reckon as a supporter base we view it way too negatively at times. I have no problem playing 3 or 4 home games per year there instead of Tassie, particularly when it's freezing mid winter months, its a decent place and now the AFL own it it's no longer a money drainer.

Well in that scenario Marvel easily.

Half the Marvel games are scheduled on Friday, Saturday 4.40pm or 7.30pm whilst 80 per cent of Tasmanian games are scheduled in the graveyard 1.10pm Saturday or Sunday slots.

It is far easier to sell Saturday Night games commercially to sponsors and coterie partners than it is Sunday games in the UTas tram yards

So if it came down to 25,000 or 28,000 at Marvel (our Melbourne floor) or 9,000 in Launceston (Tasmanian floor) give me 11 Melbourne games every day of the week.

The only exception is a 4.40pm Mother’s Day game in the wet against GWS on the back of a 4 game loosing streak.

Perhaps if we can arrange for our 30,000 MCG season ticket holders to get Docklands reserve seats we can work on boosting our Melbourne based crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back